Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt collar oddities - Boardwalk Empire Shirt Collars

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
theclaw_sign.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Another version of "The CLAW", which appears to have been made (though not spectacularly popular) in the mid to late 1910s. This one dates from 1916.

Another from 1916

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
German sports shirt 1928.
The collar is detachable but not in the usual way (shirt studs) but with some funny tails and buttons on the collar thingy.
The idea is to wear a "normal" collar on the way and then change into the sport collar... (first two pictures)

It also has holes for suspenders/braces worn UNDER the shirt. The thing on the right is a onesie (shirt/underwear combo)

52sy.jpg

t3kl.jpg

y6nj.jpg

Cobden

Practically Family
I'd have to agree Baron. There are a number of issues with the idea of the collar, the undershirt braces holes and the shirty onesie which strike me as unlikely to work when faced with the rigours of real life...

It's the kind of model that would be marketed as a labour saving system. I just can't imagine it was such a chore to carry a separate sports shirt with you; that it was so onerous as to be worthwhile undertaking the kind of light civil engineering challenge that would be required to change the collar on this one.

"Men, are you constantly hot and bothered, the un-necessary chore of changing your shirts for sports has resulted in excessive rubbing and diminution of pipe girth? Look no further; Fret ye not! The new "Struggle Nae Mare" (patents pending) collar shirt is here!! Just make sure you're always within reach of an industrial sewing machine, and this labour saving device will shave SECONDS off your changing room routine!!! Call the number below (40 dedicated lines available) to reserve your size today!!! "Rub-ye-not Pipes" (patents pending) also supplied (State Size required). See also our exclusive range of other products in the "Struggle Nae Mare" (patents pending) product family. Our "NetherTent" (patents pending) range of underwear garments that convert to tents; the "Trilby-Shorts" (patents pending) and "Shrilby" (patents pending) will thrill and delight. Our designers are CERTIFIED! Call SECTION 8 Today (40 dedicated lines). Berlin and Provinces.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Of course. It's totally impractical. Yet the text is full of "advantages" like carrying the c´sport collar in your pocket.

BK did you make this up? Because it is hilarious and not too far off. Just that the shirt is a home sewing pattern and needs less advertising newspeak. :p:eusa_clap

Yes, a product entirely of my feverished, diminished pipe imagination, I'm afraid. The amount of such advertising in period magazines is huge, as you know. More Joysprick than newspeak most of the time.

The Baroness has just pointed out that one would presumably return the shirt to "normal" configuration following the strenuous game of tennis. What, maybe just sit down to lunch with a shirt reeking of sweat?

"But, hey, your collar's of the right type, and your pipe is suitably small, so - lunch it is; clearly not a sports shirt, Sir! This, madam, just one of the social engagements in which your son, husband (or, dare we suggest, grandson should you select from the "Wee Struggle Nae Mare" (patents pending) range) will be glad you chose to purchase one of our "Struggle Nae Mare" (patents pending) collar shirts. Nine out of ten* housewives swear by "Struggle Nae Mare" (patents pending). Johnny Weissmuller, star of stage and screen, says "Before "Struggle Nae Mare" (patents pending) - which, he reminds your correspondent, has patents pending - I was at a loss. I would arrive at the studio for a hard day's swinging through the trees, and I'd have to waste time changing my shirt. This easy and time saving innovation (after, of course, writing an industrial sewing machine into my MGM contract - the new "Snags Nae Mare" (patents pending) double needle machine in the "Struggle Nae Mare" (patents pending) family of products) means that the Johnny to Tarzan transition is a … "Struggle Nae Mare" (patents pending). Ha ha ha, Thanks, Johnny!**

*ten housewives selected randomly from the factory floor at Nae Mare Industries (TM). Nae Mare Industries (TM) accepts no responsibility for the veracity or reliability of the information provided or published. All rights reserved.

** Johnny Weissmuller, Metro Goldwyn Mayer, and Nae Mare Industries (TM) accept no responsibility for the veracity of quotes or reliability of information herein reported. All rights reserved.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This thread planted strange seeds into my brain. The result was that i had a dream about a sports shirt/dress shirt combination with an interesting (and rather unusual collar). I thought I was just recalling one from the thread, but no - it seems my unconscious mind has come up with a new design (patent pending) for sports shirts.
BK: Maybe I'll draw one and send it to you, you might have to make a prototype!

Cobden

Practically Family
I thought it was ugly hybrid monstrousity, but the scary unbetrousered formal baby convinced me otherwise. Anything looks good compared to an scary unbetrousered formal baby

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Those german ads really take in the Weimar era influence with the model illustrations, very androgynous. Reminds me of the movie Cabaret.

JonnyO

A-List Customer

I enjoyed reading "Van Zandt, Jacobs & Co., Troy, N.Y." at the bottom of the ad, I haven't heard about this company until now.

I found this doing a Google search for the company. It appears they produced a collar similar to the one Nucky sports.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Fw...1HpWds_iQmqBhxLqWNoQ&ci=46,88,918,1243&edge=0

I also found this one from another company in Troy, which seems to almost be an exact match, the Rockwell collar.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Fw...8oNx0NLaPY5KQPbdUAQ&ci=76,118,859,1234&edge=0

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points