Shoe heel rubber- split vs. full?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by BigBrother, Sep 16, 2021.

1. BigBrother

BigBrother One of the Regulars

Sort of an esoteric question, but I’m wanting to put more grip on a pair of my shoes’ heels for dancing (fronts of soles are gas, heels are brakes :)) and I wanted to know if you could opine on getting a split heel (front leather, rear rubber) vs just all rubber. I’m really wondering if, like with much of this older craftsmanship/technology, there’s a useful reason behind the split model or if it really is just arbitrary/up to personal taste.

Thanks all!

2. Edward

Edward Bartender

I never noticed a difference myself. I have had shoes with both options new, and honestly never noticed a difference. As soon as my shoes need their first re-hell, if not before, it's all rubber, and I also have a thin, flat rubber layer glued over the rest of the sole. Never had a problem with that either on the street or the dancefloor. YMMV as a dancer, though - I'm the sort of dirty, tribal jiver who sneers at lindy hoppers and their towels and 'dance shoes'... ;)