Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes Shoes Shoes

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Thought you ladies might find this article interesting from the NY Times yesterday.

Putting Her Best 1,000 Shoes Forward

By JENNIFER BLEYER
Published: March 12, 2006

"Look at these," Zia Ziprin exulted as she caressed a pair of chocolate brown peep-toe slingback pumps from the 1940's. "They're like art objects."

So were the silver Lurex slippers from the 60's and the brass snakeskin six-inch platform wedges from the 70's. The strappy Christian Dior sandals elicited a loving sigh from Ms. Ziprin, as did the embroidered red satin Mongolian boots.

And don't get her started on the half-dozen pairs by Andrea Pfister, the renowned Paris-based shoe designer.

In the back of Girls Love Shoes, her vintage store on Hester Street in the Lower East Side, Ms. Ziprin presides over what she believes is the only shoe archive in the city.

Soon after she started selling vintage shoes in 2002, Ms. Ziprin, a doe-eyed designer with a perky manner, noticed that shoe designers were snatching up pairs they liked for inspiration and research. This did not make her happy. "It got painful to sell my most beautiful shoes," she said wistfully as she stood near the color-coordinated racks in the back of her store. "I'm attached to them."

A friend suggested that she curate a selection of her favorite shoes like a museum exhibit and make them available for rent. Thus, Ms. Ziprin's 1,000-pair archive was born, filled with shoes that rent for $60 a week, or $350 for a 12-week season.

The archive has two dozen regular clients, including costume designers for theater and film ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù Ann Roth stopped by recently to rent shoes for a forthcoming Robert De Niro film, "The Good Shepherd" ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù and shoe designers from companies like Coach and Ralph Lauren. Even Mr. Pfister, the famed designer, requested an appointment on a recent trip to New York. After complimenting Ms. Ziprin's collection, he rented six pairs ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù not his own ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù and arranged to ship them back from Paris. "It was like a dream," Ms. Ziprin said.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I think it's great her being able to put her collection to great use...just hope whoever burrows them takes good care with them!

Skari Spice

New in Town
Thought this would be a good place to post this.

Oh my gawd, I'm aching over the cute 1940s & 50s inspired shoes that Anthropologie carries! They're friggin' expensive but some of their sale shoes are bit more plausible. Still, it's fun to look at them and long.

~Kari

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Indeed. And that's why we buy things on sale and it's like getting something for regular price somewhere else :)
GAH! Nevermind. Even on sale... over $200? Sheesh! But at least they are making rich people have better taste lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
$200 for a pair of shoes, and that's on sale! oh my. I would be in BIG trouble if I ever purchased those babies :) It's Ross for me. I stopped looking at the prices after the first couple of dresses ,I figured to just go ahead and admire the clothes. What I love though about looking at those kind of catalogs is it gives you ideas on what to look for elsewhere.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Oh hey! The ones I clicked first are nice and cheap! Well... comparatively. The Tessin Palace Mary Janes are only $98. The ones I really want are the Elphabas, though. Those would be perfect to wear to work. (My sister stole my office shoes so now I'm stuck in 3" spikes, and those add 15 minutes to my commute.) I think I'd get a lot of use out of them... hmrr.. Man, I wish my sister was still dating that guy with the Anthropologie discount.

BV

edit: Oh my. I just made it into other areas of those shoes. I had no idea Anthropologie even carried shoes. ... I think I have a shoe problem.

16_sparrows

Vendor
I just recently got these retro inspired shoes from Zappos and while they were a bit pricey they were well worth it! I have foot issue (as in had surgery on them because of it) so I have to be really picky about what I put on my feet. I'm definitely willing to pay $100-$200 for a good, high quality & comfortable pair of shoes. The way I see it, I would go through that much in buying the series of shoes that look some what like it but can't wear because they hurt.

But honestly, if you girls are looking for open toe pumps, these are the ones! They stood the ultimate test: a late night wedding complete with hours of dancing. I put them on at 5pm and only at midnight did they start to pester me! Although, I did break them in around the house for an hour or two a few days before I took them out the the wedding, so that may have helped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo