Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in NYC for the Vintage-Minded

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Hey there New Yorkers,
I'm visiting NY on Tuesday and was wondering if there's any places I should go to, whether during this short trip or later in the summer?
I've visited JJ Hat Center a few times, and may stop in to say hello. I've also been to not-so-Cheap Jack's and Andy's Chee-pees.
I was talking to some friends, and they say that the Salvation Armies in Queens and Brooklyn are better than in Manhattan...any truth to that?
Has anyone ever used this tailor? Cheo His front page uses an old fashion plate, probably from AA or Esquire. If that's where his head is at, he might be the right kind of bespoke tailor for us.

Feraud

Bartender
Cheo looks like an interesting site. I wonder if he cuts the suits like in the photos? As for thrift stores, I find them "hit or miss". No one places has it all and it takes some legwork to find the goods. It can be worth the effort.
I had a list of all NYC area thrift stores. I will try to find and post it.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All the best vintage stores have vanished.If you are going to be here on a Saturday or Sunday you may want to go to the flea market on 24th st. off of Sixth Ave. You can also try Cherry on Eighth Ave between 12th and 13th st.,Starstruck on Greenwich Ave. and maybe a Housing Works. There is one on 17th st. between Sixth and Seventh Ave. They are not vintage but you may get lucky with a suit or jacket. They are a type of up scale thrift store. Good luck Ray !

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
You must, must, must go to DL Cerney's; even if it's just to look around. They are pricey, but their repro work is always visually stimulating (such as two toned navy blue and burgundy Hollywood jackets, or high rise hollywood waisted slacks in every shade of LINEN!)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Rover said:
Hey there New Yorkers,
I've visited JJ Hat Center a few times, and may stop in to say hello.

I've found them extremely friendly. It used to be the old IBM headquarters!

I've also been to not-so-Cheap Jack's and Andy's Chee-pees.

The owner of Jacks is a bit of a numbskull. Quite rude, and he punches plastic tags through the felt at the side of the hat. Zohar and MK were disgusted! :mad:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ray, wish I was meeting up in NYC...

But alas there's a big pond in between, plus I have the London Dinner. But have fun exploring the vintage side to New York. May I also just say, what a marvellous avatar you currently have up, and a glamorous lady as well. Keep it up, keep it vintage!

Cheap Jack's - yes, rude and generally overpriced, but large inventory. You may find a suit you 'absolutely must have at any price.' But beware, you have to closely inspect everything too as he does a lot of stitching/reweaving on garments. Hat selection is terrible, though.

Starstruck on Greenwich Ave is the best. Small but choice selection. A few 40s suits usually in stock but mostly 50s and 60s for about $200. I've never come home with anything that's had a flaw. He also has a large selection of NWT trousers.

Andy's Cheepees - avoid. Very rude and overpriced for beat garments.

Army Navy on Canal - There's a small vintage Army/Navy Vintage Shop near the corner of Canal at either 6th or Church. I only go there when I pass it, so I I don't even know the name - I think it just says Army/Navy Surplus and outside they usually have racks of vitnage ties for sale so you can't miss it. They have a lot of military overcoats and some suits, so you may have some luck in there.

Fabulous Fannie's carries mostly sunglasses but they've just expanded and have a few hats/jackets/suits. 335 East 9th

Atomic Passion - 430 East 9th - Mostly 50s/60s/70s - a luck of the draw.

Beacon's closet - You have to go over to North 11 in Williamsburg,Brooklyn. I found a 40s/50s pieces for cheap because the hipsters are mainly interested in 70s/80s vintage. A few racks of mens clothes.

Gentleman's Resale - 322 E 81st. I'm always being told I should go up here, but vintage on the upper east side sound expensive to me.

Jae Jarrell - CLOSED. Was a pretty good men's vitage shop, though a tad overpriced. Just in case anyone tells you to go.

Family Jewels - 130 West 23rd - Overpriced but you may find a gem. Just picked up a beautiful 50s London Fog raincoat over there for $85 - a 'had to have' piece.

There are many other vintage shops in teh East Village, but the selections are hit and miss. Mostly 70s/80s junk. Just walk around a bit and you'll come across them.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
All I've gotten are compliments for my old WWII overcoat...how nice! The old heavy loden was perfect for the freezing NY weather. I ended up running from Midtown to Downtown and my feet are SOOOORE!
I started my search looking for my elusive grosgrain bowtie...starting around 5th Ave. and then to Paul Stuart and Brooks Brothers...I'm pretty familiar with that area. I think the guy from J. Press knows me by sight. Then I wandered down to my Uncle's showroom on 23rd St., but not before popping into JJ Hat Center to say hello. Finally, after chatting about the sartorial arts with the man who does the made-to-measure fittings for my uncle, I mosied down to the surplus store that Senator Jack mentioned.
Man- what a nifty place...I probably spent 2 hours in there. The first thing the elderly chap said to me when I walked in was "Nice coat!" He could date it by sight...almost. He was off by about 3 years. Turns out my coat was made in 1945, although the plastic buttons pointed to earlier before they had to ration the brass. I went on to buy a 1940s or 50s peacoat (there was an earlier one, but it was just a smidgeon too big. It was nice, though- dense wool, 5 buttons on each side (instead of 4), throat latch, etc. etc. Mine isn't bad, though- it still has the corduroy pocket lining), a dixie cup for my friend, and a handful of 40s ties. There were more- some of those gaudy 20s ties and atleast 100 40s and 50s ties. All in all, a good day!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Cool. Glad you found something down there, Ray. Try to go over to Starstruck if you can. You may find a grosgrain bowtie over there. I did!

I ended up picking up one from Paul Stuart...not bad. I'm still up for a vintage batwing one if I can find one, though! My find of the day is between a pale green striped Palm Beach bowtie and that peacoat...I can almost never find a size 34 in anything...they happened to have one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael