Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorpy All Stars

"Mohawk Trail, Mass. State-owned camp and picnic site." -- October 1941, 75 yrs ago this month.
1428yu1.jpg

Ladies

"Elliott, Taylor & Woolfenden Co. -- millinery department." -- Detroit, circa 1912.
33kdmi8.jpg

"Captain Alice Shanks, carrying football, in Powder Bowl at Gunnison, Colorado." -- October 14, 1939. I call a chop block on the left!
jj3d7b.jpg

"Dude at rodeo in Ashland, Montana." -- Sept 1941. Quote says dude but I'm calling dudette! Check out the butterfly boots.
21q4px.jpg

Laborers

"Picking cotton. Scene on the farm of S.N. Whiteside, near Waxahachie, Texas." -- October 1913.
nz395k.jpg

"12-year-old Lahnert boy, near Fort Collins, Colorado, topping beets." -- October 30, 1915.
2mecsd2.jpg

"Construction workers gathered around the bunkhouse stove
in the new craftsmen's barracks at Camp Blanding, Florida." -- December 1940.
vw5di.jpg

Laborers

"Picking cotton. Scene on the farm of S.N. Whiteside, near Waxahachie, Texas." -- October 1913.
nz395k.jpg

"12-year-old Lahnert boy, near Fort Collins, Colorado, topping beets." -- October 30, 1915.
2mecsd2.jpg

"Construction workers gathered around the bunkhouse stove
in the new craftsmen's barracks at Camp Blanding, Florida." -- December 1940.
vw5di.jpg
I'm guessing that guy with handlebar mustache and hat is some sort of foreman. His hat is too nice, and he's not carrying a bag.

"Ship's company, U.S.S. Maine." Circa 1896.

Commissioned in 1895 this is probably the first company to serve onboard. I have to wonder how many of these men were still onboard when she blew up during Feb 1898 while sitting in Havana Harbor killing 3/4ths of the crew. The U.S. entered into the Cuban revolt against Spain just 2 months later.

14lq2gy.jpg

Made me think of Steve McQueen's first horse in Tom Horn, rode it with only a hackamore. One of the best looking movie horses I've ever seen.
This one:

2ekkbvd.jpg

votld3.jpg

2l945mt.jpg

Despite what happened the lives of the real Tom Horn & John Coberly are people I respect & admire. Glendolene Kimmell whom many believe was his girlfriend despite their age differences, could have possibly saved his life but she refused to get involved until it was just too late. She lived out the rest of her life caring for her mother for a time, but pretty much in solitude. I'm sure she had regrets.

34oeo2a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner