Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Biplane videos

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Great gobs of guts! This Hawk is at March! That's my base. I haven't been over to the museum in a while; now I've got a darn good reason to go back!

And I thought those wings struts in that first video looked familiar. That's a Travelair 2000. Here's a shot I took over the wing to compare:
Travelair2000wing.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Not a bi-plane, but anyone want a Peashooter?

http://www.peashooter.net/

Home-factory line building a pair of P-26 "Peashooters", one of which will be for sale.

Bring a truckload of human organs or a thick checkbook.

Jupiter

New in Town
OK, not a BIPLANE, but, still wonderful...

I went to the Lost Nation Airport outside Willoughby, Ohio this morning with my son (age 3) to look at some great old airplanes at an airshow. Among the planes on view were a B-24, a B-17, and an Avro Lancaster, along with some terrific Golden Age civil stuff, like a gorgeous yellow Stinson and a beautiful white Howard. Rides were available (EXPENSIVE... the B-17 was $425 per person for a half-hour!). We had a blast.

Then, this afternoon, I'm out pruning bushes with my wife, when all of a sudden there's a chest-thumping rumbling sound pounding out of the north. We both look up just as the B-17 clears the trees on the north end of my property and flies directly over us... it couldn't have been more than 500 feet off the ground. I could count the rivets in the wings! Even my wife thought it was VERY cool (and, frankly, a bit scarey)! Oh, to have been alive when there were hundreds of them flying in formation!

Jupiter

Story

I'll Lock Up
Jupiter said:
Oh, to have been alive when there were hundreds of them flying in formation!

Careful what you ask for - they would have been going out to pound Nazi factories where (then to an unknown extent) horrific "Wonder Weapons" were being produced, plus there would have been the attendent gut-wrench of wondering who would make it back.

Pretty, but keep things in context. If you were around to see the mass formations, there was no guarantee the Good Guys were going to win - at either a strategic or individual level. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner