Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Brimmed Cowboy

OldSchoolAndrew

New in Town
This is a photo of my grandfather(back right) and his brothers at the livestock exchange they owned. All of his hats seemed much shorter brimmed than hats commonly available now. Does anyone know of a similar style hat available now?
It looks like no more than a 3.5” brim.
I thought maybe an OR, but it might not be wide enough to get that much of a roll.
Really like that mule kick in the crown.
Thanks!
IMG_7580.jpeg

This is a photo of my grandfather(back right) and his brothers at the livestock exchange they owned. All of his hats seemed much shorter brimmed than hats commonly available now. Does anyone know of a similar style hat available now?
I thought maybe an OR, but it might not be wide enough to get that much of a roll.
Thanks!

3 ½” brims were, and are, popular. It’s one of my favorite widths. You’re right that the Open Road doesn’t have enough brim to get what you want.

There are lots of these hats 3 ½” brimmed hats for sale on the vintage market. You can also easily trim down a wider brim, or commission a custom hat with the exact brim and crown you want. I’m not up on the current mass production catalogs, but you can find them online and see if there isn’t an offering that fits the bill.

Good luck, and post photos when you have your hat.

Thanks! View attachment 589854
Looks like it could be a 1970’s pic? Brim widths of 3.25” to 3.5” with crowns when open from 5.25“ to 5.5” was the popular ratio of the day. Look for a 1970’s Resistol from the BR series. They came with a factory crease with mule kick & gently rolled fenders. The BR series was commonly available in a 20 & a 30 grade. Long before the 4+” shovel nose & pick rolled brims of today.

I’m curious, where was the location of their sale barn?

OldSchoolAndrew

New in Town
Looks like it could be a 1970’s pic? Brim widths of 3.25” to 3.5” with crowns when open from 5.25“ to 5.5” was the popular ratio of the day. Look for a 1970’s Resistol from the BR series. They came with a factory crease with mule kick & gently rolled fenders. The BR series was commonly available in a 20 & a 30 grade. Long before the 4+” shovel nose & pick rolled brims of today.

I’m curious, where was the location of their sale barn?
That’s very helpful. Thank you!
The pic is from the late 60s. They had sale barns in northeast Oklahoma and southeast Kansas. I think this one was in Welch, OK.

That’s very helpful. Thank you!
The pic is from the late 60s. They had sale barns in northeast Oklahoma and southeast Kansas. I think this one was in Welch, OK.
Was just looking thru some “before” pics. Besides the BR ( Byer-Rolnik) series the Resistol Fort Worth with a 3” brim also came with a front mule kick.

IMG_8579.jpeg

IMG_8573.jpeg

IMG_8574.jpeg

IMG_8575.jpeg

Buying something with a centrifical cut brim will be important too. Newer Western hats are usually cut elliptical.

Last edited:

VoodooSan

A-List Customer

Who?

Practically Family
I hope I don’t get dogpiled, but ……

One of the reasons for the design of the “cowboy hat” was to protec the wearer from sunlight (UV) not to look “cool” or make a fashion statement.

Your hat and your money, but I’m not sure it is a cowboy hat anymore, after the brim is reduced. so far.

milandro

A-List Customer
With a brim of 3,5" my Resitol Ohio has plenty of " cowboy hat" credentials overshooting, and by quite a bit an open road, for example.

Anyway the assumption that a hat with a very large brim was in the cowboy heyday " the hat" is faulty, history tells us that the most used hat by most cowboys was the bowler , hardly a hat with a large brim!

read this

https://www.hatterist.com/blog/blog-post-title-cowboy-hat-history

"...The iconic Stetson came onto the market in 1865, and it wasn't popular until the end of the 19th century. A cowboy's preferred choice of hat? The Derby—also known as the Bowler. ..."

Certainly large brimmed hats are good sun protection though

Anyway in the western film there are plenty od relatively small brimmed hats

1708530763869.png

but the wild bunch had derbys

1708530826359.png

milandro

A-List Customer
...t. Look at actual photos of working men and women from "the American West" during the 1800s and you'll see far more wide brimmed hats.
no, you find all sorts , large small, and in some cases my 3,5" brim is even bigger than they had

Some liked short , some long, as we do today

Attachments

• 1708551044580.png
    1708551044580.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 1708551062350.png
    1708551062350.png
    467.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1708551091779.png
    1708551091779.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 1708551144934.png
    1708551144934.png
    479.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1708551188321.png
    1708551188321.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 27

One of the reasons for the design of the “cowboy hat” was to protec the wearer from sunlight (UV) not to look “cool” or make a fashion statement.

Your hat and your money, but I’m not sure it is a cowboy hat anymore, after the brim is reduced. so far.

Not dog pilling, but there was a lot of diversity and individuality in old cowboy hats. Keeping the sun off your face, neck, and ears was certainly part of their usefulness. It was also useful to not have a rock hard felt that could flex and have the brim easily bend down when tied over the hat and under the chin with a bandanna or kerchief.

Most modern cowboy hats have brims shaped where the sides are bent up some, sometimes it gets severe with the “taco” brims. This also defeats the purpose of keeping the sun off of you, but a lot of working cowboys wear them. It’s the style, and cowboys are just as susceptible to fashion trends as anyone else. It’s the same when I wear a cowboy hat when I don’t need its protection or functionality. I, like many (most?) wear them because I like the style.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
All which begs the fundamental question, "what is a cowboy hat"?

no, you find all sorts , large small, and in some cases my 3,5" brim is even bigger than they had

Some liked short , some long, as we do today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner