Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should i buy this Panama? **Update** I bought it.

Rick2106

New in Town
I'm almost out of the rabbit hole:( new to the group and wearing hats. A couple weeks ago I seen a picture of one of my bluegrass music hero's wearing what i found out to be a Stetson Open Road. I thought that was a cool looking hat. Then i thought about it. I live in Central Florida, we had our 1 week of winter already, mid to upper 80's now and only going up from here on out, so a felt/fur hat is going to be way too hot most of the time. I started looking at shantung OR types, $75-$125 range, sounded ok, tried to find a 7-5/8, most out of stock, reading up on shantung, seems it is very stiff and does not vent that good. Maybe i need a hemp straw hat? Came close to buying a hemp stetson open road but seems they are discontinued now, only a few available in 6-7/8 or 7. The hunt started again, looking for what would be a warm weather hat that holds up pretty good. Decided a good panama hat would fit the bill. Reading up on panama's, i needed a real deal panama. I'm seriously considering (loaded in my cart) buying the Delmonico Panama Grade 20. Was $295 reduced to $195 but with the 10% coupon. $175.50 w/ free shipping. This seems like a decent deal for a fine grade Panama?

Attachments

• DelGrade20-Panama-Hats-Bleached.jpg
    DelGrade20-Panama-Hats-Bleached.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_20220301-181945~2.png
    Screenshot_20220301-181945~2.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 84
“Should you buy it” is a hard question for anyone other than you to answer. “Grade 20” doesn’t have an agreed upon meaning; maybe the Delmonico website defines it, but that would only apply to their hats.

I don’t know what style or dimensions you prefer. I’d at least give Mike at The Northwest Hat Co. a call. He has some off the rack Panama hats finished in Italy for $185 that are very nice. I also don’t have anything bad to say about Panama Hats Direct other than I don’t like the leather they use in their sweatbands.

Rick2106

New in Town
“Should you buy it” is a hard question for anyone other than you to answer. “Grade 20” doesn’t have an agreed upon meaning; maybe the Delmonico website defines it, but that would only apply to their hats.

I don’t know what style or dimensions you prefer. I’d at least give Mike at The Northwest Hat Co. a call. He has some off the rack Panama hats finished in Italy for $185 that are very nice. I also don’t have anything bad to say about Panama Hats Direct other than I don’t like the leather they use in their sweatbands.

Thank you Brent for the information on the grade factor and recommendations.

dkstott

Practically Family
Buying that particular hat is a personal decision. I can say that Ben and the group at Delmonico Hats are great folks. Have you chatted with them about this hat or about your needs??

Rick2106

New in Town
Buying that particular hat is a personal decision. I can say that Ben and the group at Delmonico Hats are great folks. Have you chatted with them about this hat or about your needs??
Thanks Dave, I have not talked to anyone at Delmonico, I have read good things about them and they seem to be a very reputable company, maybe I should have talked to Ben or shopped other companies but it is too late now. I bought the hat. I think I will like it, If not, I can pass it on to someone else. I have the suspicion Panama hats are not going to be a one and done kinda purchase.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk