Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder holsters

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I use this belt/holster (except black) from Mernickle at http://www.mernickleholsters.com/. Great people to deal with and a real quality product.

MernickleHolster.jpg

LDL707

New in Town
If you're seriously looking for a carry rig based on image, you should re-evaluate your purposes for carrying a weapon.

1) Pick a carry rig for a number of factors--comfort, ease of draw, concealability, etc. Image shouldn't be real high on the list, because while it's nice to look good, that may only be of comfort to the mourners at your funeral.

2) If you're looking for a vintage-look holster, one would be led to believe you might be carrying a vintage weapon as well. If that's the case, you should seriously re-evaluate your reasons for carrying. Don't carry a pistol because it looks pretty. Carry one that's gonna save your ass if you need it. If you are carrying a vintage weapon, make sure it's been checked out by a qualified gunsmith. Also, practice with it. A lot. By the way, I hope, if you are carrying a vintage or vintage-look weapon, it's a 1911.

3) If you insist on carrying a vintage weapon in a vintage rig, make sure you have a backup weapon. A number of compact and sub-compact pistols are available. Look into a Glock 36. Carry it in an ankle holster or pocket holster or inside-the-waistband holster. If you must, carry it in a briefcase. The beauty of concealed carry is that it is concealed. It won't mess up your image.

Johnny Dollar

New in Town
I have not been able to find any vintage shoulder holsters for my 1911. You can get the WWII military shoulder holster. I have not seen one in person yet but Galco has a new vertical shoulder holster that is pretty close to a vintage style. Remember handguns are suppose to be comforting, not always comfortable.

Johnny Dollar

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I have tried shoulder holsters...

and have found that they are a pain in the butt. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry .45. I find the best bet is a strong side straight drop belt holster. I even sometimes just shove the peice in my waist band strong side if I'm just stepping out for a short short. I'm not going to put on a shoulder holster to walk the dog.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

They are not for everybody. Either you like shoulder holsters or you don't. There isn't much middle ground on that opinion, that I have found. I do like my Galco for desert camping. I spend a fair amount of time behind the wheel of my SUV. A belt carry gets very uncomfortable in a short time driving. The one exception might be a cross-draw holster....but I have never cared for those. I would like to get a vintage style shoulder holster for my 1911 though.

LDL707 made some good points. We need to make sure our choice of vintage or retro style doesn't compromise our safty.

Paul Gomez

New in Town
Rusty Sherrick [www.c-rusty.com] offers some very nice modern versions of the original Berns-Martin designs. He even has a guy who does the floral carving just like Jack Berns used to do. John Farnam has been known to carry his backup gun in Rusty's rig.

Bell-Charter Oaks [www.bellcharteroakholsters.com] offers modern versions of the Chic Gaylord designs, but I don't think they do his 'Dynamite' shoulder rig.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
You hit the nail on the head MK!

You see fellas; when on duty, I wear what I have to. Off duty I wear what's practical and if need be tactical. For those that have had the experience (for one reason or another) it can be more of a pain in the A$$ than it's worth.

But MK hit the nail on the head. I'm just looking for a good vintage look for either my 1911 or even one of the S&W M&Ps or model 10's that I'm working on.I figure that as long as it dosn't fall apart when I draw, I won't argue. I even found an old manual for making holsters and it had a design for shoulder rigs also. So i just might knock that out myself. But I never hurts to ask around!!

This is simply for my personal enjoyment, recreation or reenactment events. I have a department approved rig and have actually gotten great milage from a $19.00 Forbes paddle holster. It's not overly comfortable, but it's practical to and from assignments.

Brody

up196

A-List Customer
"Concealed Fashion"

Do a forum search for a thread named "Concealed Fashion". Lots of discussion and some pics of vintage concealment holsters. The Lawrence #7 shoulder holster shows up occasionally on eBay . . . Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff