Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder pads removeable?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I've always disliked shoulder pads in my jackets. I have two sport coats (which I'm selling) and two suits (15 years old Christian Dior which I just got), and all have shoulder pads. I'm taking one of the Dior suits in to have the pants altered, otherwise the suits fit fine (we'll see what my tailor thinks ;) .

Is possible, common, uncommon, whatever, to have shoulder pads flat-out removed? Knowing nothing, I'd guess doing so would totally change the fit of the jacket, and numerous other things would have to be altered too. Should a good tailor be able to accomplish this? With ease?

I ask because I saw reference to a jacket with no pads on the "peak lapel" thread. I saw the photo of Jimmy Stewart with a 3-button peak lapel (isn't it?), and think I like the 2-button ones in the other photos better, more "modern". Thanks for any info on the pads.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Removing the pads would be a major job, and it would indeed really throw off a lot of things about the jacket. You would probably have problems with the collar fit for one, and also with the fact that the shoulders would now be too wide as the pads are usually used to widen the shoulder area under the jacket.

I would suggest just leaving the pads in and making sure the next one you purchase is without pads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff