Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show me the ropes?

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Welcome!! Yes, by all means - don't be intimidated by some peoples post counts or lack thereof! I lurked for a long time before signing up and I still lurk most of the time :D As far as sewing, the simplest place to start might be an A-line skirt. There are tons of easy patterns out there that, while not "authentic" vintage, will still give you a vintage shape with a minimum of pieces and seams.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hello, all! I joined last night and I was wondering if anyone could just tell me about the basic goings-on of the forum, that would be so so so helpful. I've been into vintage fashions for maybe 2 years now, and most of my wardrobe consists of repros. I actually hated shopping and modern styles until I started finding repros. I'm also really into 1940's movies and World War II. Overall, I'm just a big history fanatic who loves to try to live old-fashioned.
Hi boondooglejane, what, or whom, inspired the forum name? Welcome, it's never easy being the newbie, you can often feel like one of those characters in an old, black & white 'B' movie, the one who, when he enters the saloon, makes the music stop whilst everyone else turns around to have a look see. But I promise you, this lot are both friendly and helpful. When I first posted, I had lurked around for about 18 months, even so, it was with much trepidation.
Being a baby boomer put me into the older set of posters, then, being male, it just felt awkward to say that, I sew, making shirts and dresses, I dance, as in Latin & Ballroom and I've been married for 45 years. But no-one here has ever been judgemental, so take a tip and just enjoy the company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot