Show off your Porkpies

Discussion in 'Hats' started by GWD, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Loz Dawes

Loz Dawes Familiar Face

cool.. :)

Bob Roberts likes this.
  2. Loz Dawes

Loz Dawes Familiar Face

OK...Here's my latest outstanding stingy from Bob.. Rabbit blend, Velveteen finish.. brim 1 1/2'' overwelt, crown 4'' - 3 3/4'', black paisley liner, black sweatband, and invisible wind trolley... Whoa, Black Betty (Bam-ba-Lam) Optimized-20161128_112435.jpg

Zombie_61, Edward, quikrick and 5 others like this.
  3. Redfokker

Redfokker

Nice looking! Has a real attitude!

M Hatman, RJR and Loz Dawes like this.
  4. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I don't believe I've been here before. 20161128_125824-1.jpg 20161128_125810-1.jpg

Edward, Zombie_61, quikrick and 7 others like this.
  5. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here are two of mine, my wife actually hasone too. I was not a "porkpie" guy until I got both of these with the wider snap brim and now.....I wear a porkpie...........I even wore the gray Lee today!!!
    Cheers,
    M
    The brown is a Stetson and the grey, a Lee water block!! I more info under "post new hats here".

Attached Files:

6. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Nice one. I like bigger brim porkies.

deadlyhandsome and M Hatman like this.
  7. Captain O

Captain O One of the Regulars

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." - Charles Caleb Colton

8. mmbarnes

mmbarnes I'll Lock Up

Reckon' that this one should be here.

Royal Stetson with loads of different colors in its heathered felt. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

That's what they get when they use the end of day floor sweepings to make the next round of felt.

Zombie_61, BobHufford and mmbarnes like this.
  10. 1mach1

1mach1

I sure like the finish on that one Matt.

11. Redfokker

Redfokker

I can finally play here. Stetson Royal DeLuxe porker. A little over 2" in brim with a 4 1/2" crown. Deep, rich brown with a wider back bow ribbon. I date it to the late 1950s.

12Apr18 Setson Pork pie back bow 550x.jpg 12Apr18 Setson Pork pie back bow liner 550x.jpg 12Apr18 Stetson Back Bow side 550x.jpg 12Apr18 Stetson Back Bow front 550x.jpg

hatsRme, Edward, quikrick and 6 others like this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

Does anyone here wear wool porkpies? I've long stuck to furfelt for my hats. Recently, however, I've come across this, a "premium" wool option, nicely lined and finished. https://www.cotswoldcountryhats.com/lined-navy-pork-pie-hat----premium-wool-11701-p.asp Cheap, but not a "cheap hat" in terms of the detailing... just wool being cheaper than fur. I'm very tempted to give it a go. Obviously the price helps(!), but it's as much as anything about the colour. (Over here furfelt PPs can be a bit Henry Ford in relation to colour options.) I'm still unsure as to whether that tightly flanged brim could be worn lipped down at the front if it's wool (as per my own preference with a PP). I thought it might given the degree of upturn and narrrowness of the brim, but...?

Notably, furfelt pps seem very rare over here (Christies do do one, the Monk, which if memory serves is available in black and grey, possibly also brown).

13. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Putting aside the hyperbole ('premium'), it's still a wool hat.

As such, I don't know how formable any of it will be, with or without moisture, as wool hats have not been real good at holding their shape, at least in my experience. And I've never met a wool hat that didn't shrink up at least a little bit when moisture is introduced.

But for that price, and in that color, it might be worth the gamble.

johnnycanuck, Edward and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. Edward

Edward Bartender

Thanks, yes - the low price is attractive. I wonder what it is about wool that manufacturers so often do a wider range of colours. Can't be entirely price: Christies currently do a furfelt pp in either black or grey, and a wool in eght or nine different colours, but there's only ten English pounds between them in price (makes the woolie relatively expensive on the market), so it's surely not a question of a much cheaper hat having a bigger market... I'm hoping to make a visit to the Christies store in central London some time over the next few weeks, so I plan to handle both of their offerings to see the difference then too. In truth, if Akubra did the Rap in midnight and/or moonstone I wouldn't think twice about just jumping on that, but indeed the woolies do seem to have the monopoly on some of the more interesting colours.

15. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

I know I love PP but don’t feel I can pull off the the look. Unless it has a wider brim. As for the colour selection in wool felt hats I feel it has something to do with the clientele. I belong to a few hat groups over on Facebook and there is an amazing culture of black gentlemen who pull off amazing looks and styles. Some of the most outrageous colours and combinations and they pull it off seamlessly while looking sharp as a razor. More than a little jealous. Now why they don’t offer them in fir felt is beyond me apart from price point. Or maybe it’s easier to dye wool compared to rabbit.

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  16. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Wool hats have their place in the industry. Price point is a big one. I will also say you can hit the hat with Scotchguard to help protect it from the odd surprise rain shower.
    Johnny

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  17. Late to the party as always, but I just discovered this thread so...anyway, here are my measly submissions:

[​IMG]

A Sunbody "Guatemalan Pinto Fedora" that I re-shaped and replaced the ribbon on in an attempt to make it look more like the hat Darren McGavin wore on Kolchak: The Night Stalker back in the mid-70s. Not completely successful, but I like it anyway. More of a Teardrop crease than a Telescope, but no pinch.

Then there's this thing, a navy blue modern wool Porkpie with a Diamond crease made by "Classic Italy". What can I say, it was cheap, I liked the shape, and it fits:

[​IMG]

I do have a few fur felt hats that I like to think of as Porkpies, but they all have Diamond creases and a front pinch because they just didn't look right to me without it, so they're really brim-up/stingy brim Fedoras so I won't post photos of them.

Rmccamey, hatsRme and johnnycanuck like this.