Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'm reaching that point in my life as well!

I just came across a photo of my father in a hat...well, a cap anyway. I’m sure the cap was military issue from the late 1950s when he did his time in the Army, but the photo is perhaps a decade later:

View attachment 220374

In two years I’ll be the age he was when he died. That’s the one thing I hope to do better than my father.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just came across a photo of my father in a hat...well, a cap anyway. I’m sure the cap was military issue from the late 1950s when he did his time in the Army, but the photo is perhaps a decade later:

View attachment 220374

In two years I’ll be the age he was when he died. That’s the one thing I hope to do better than my father.
I'm sure you will, Brent. My mom died when she was 53. I'm 7 years past that now. My Dad fought prostate cancer for 14 years and made it 78. I hope to do as well, but there are days when I wonder... His Dad lived to 95 but the last few years weren't kind to him... Alzheimer's, high blood pressure and he needed help getting a bath and using the bathroom. I don't think I want that, either. Time for a float trip for summer steelhead down the Deschutes...

I'm sure you will, Brent. My mom died when she was 53. I'm 7 years past that now. My Dad fought prostate cancer for 14 years and made it 78. I hope to do as well, but there are days when I wonder... His Dad lived to 95 but the last few years weren't kind to him... Alzheimer's, high blood pressure and he needed help getting a bath and using the bathroom. I don't think I want that, either. Time for a float trip for summer steelhead down the Deschutes...

The float trip sounds nice. I’m thinking about a trip on the lower Klamath, but I’ll wait until I hear how the run is before I commit.

I agree with your quality over length when it comes to living. My mom’s last couple of years were stolen by dementia and I want nothing to do with that.

Hats and Caps, Boys and Dogs........... (Baseball team is conveniently dated 1896).
More from my collection........
IMG_20200317_174350.jpg
IMG_20200317_174403.jpg

That little pipe is a holder for roll your own cigarettes.
I would have thought it would be straight for that. Does not seem right to smoke a cigarette vertically...but then again........

I have seen these small pipes in clay dug up at civil war camp sites....I do not believe they had cigarettes back then...so could be used for either or.....

The thought of using it for cigarettes is intriguing....

I would have thought it would be straight for that. Does not seem right to smoke a cigarette vertically...but then again........

I have seen these small pipes in clay dug up at civil war camp sites....I do not believe they had cigarettes back then...so could be used for either or.....

The thought of using it for cigarettes is intriguing....
That's way too small for a clay pipe. That is so small it couldn't even hold a pinch of pipe tobacco. Not going to argue with you about it. Larger vertical pipes were even used for cigar smoking.

Here's a pic of a cigarette pipe stem missing currently on eBay.

Attachments

• IMG_8086.JPG
    IMG_8086.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 210
That's way too small for a clay pipe. That is so small it couldn't even hold a pinch of pipe tobacco. Not going to argue with you about it. Larger vertical pipes were even used for cigar smoking. Here's a pic of a cigarette pipe stem missing currently on eBay.

I was not arguing Jack. I did not look at the pipe as closely as you did. It is quite very small, I was just comparing with others I have seen as small or almost as small. I have seen similar very small clay 19th century (often English made) pipes...always just thought of them as opium pipes......never occurred to me their use for rolled cigarettes (or something similar), but I do know the English had very small cigars in the middle of the 19th century (the precursor to cigarettes perhaps) and those pipes would be perfect for them too...
So you have enlightened me.....

I was not arguing Jack. I did not look at the pipe as closely as you did. It is quite very small, I was just comparing with others I have seen as small or almost as small. I have seen similar very small clay 19th century (often English made) pipes...always just thought of them as opium pipes......never occurred to me their use for rolled cigarettes (or something similar), but I do know the English had very small cigars in the middle of the 19th century (the precursor to cigarettes perhaps) and those pipes would be perfect for them too...
So you have enlightened me.....
Clay pipes date to the 18th century & were made from pressed clay & commercially were known as tavern pipes. You could buy them at any tavern or suttler during the war. They were very inexpensive & you could usually get a few smokes out of one before it cracked or otherwise broke. But the bowl had to be big enough to hold tobacco.

IMG_8088.JPG

IMG_7839.jpg

IMG_8087.jpg

Here are some more (not mine):
Clay Pipes.jpg

And I guess the Indians used them too.....
Again I am NOT arguing the use of the pipe in my photo as I am sure you are right. I was just describing my thoughts (or lack of them) when I posted the image. I just did not give it much thought.....or look that closely.
Thanks for your input as it gives me more background on these small pipes......the use of a cigarette pipe is cool.....
Though I cannot seem to find a image of one like the one in the picture, AGAIN, I am sure you are right....the internet is not always good finding generic items.

Here are some more (not mine):
View attachment 221211
And I guess the Indians used them too.....
Again I am NOT arguing the use of the pipe in my photo as I am sure you are right. I was just describing my thoughts (or lack of them) when I posted the image. I just did not give it much thought.....or look that closely.
Thanks for your input as it gives me more background on these small pipes......the use of a cigarette pipe is cool.....
Though I cannot seem to find a image of one like the one in the picture, AGAIN, I am sure you are right....the internet is not always good finding generic items.
They were often called Cheroot holders & came with changeable screw-on holders for both cigarettes & small cigars.

IMG_8095.JPG

Modern versions usually hold filters.

IMG_8094.JPG

Take it from someone whose grandmother taught him how to read & enjoy books before he started kindergarten, & his grandfather taught him everything else.

IMG_7867.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy