Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

HJ, I don’t. I ran across this pic researching something else and thought it interesting. I read up a little after finding the pic. He served two terms as sheriff and a couple term in the KS legislature I believe. He also started the Dodge City Cowboy Band.
View attachment 230547
Interesting, his ribbon is different than other members of the band. Most wear the round badge on ribbon.

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

Interesting...
Lots of Shepherd descendants still in these parts. Since you were interested:

George W. Shepherd (1840 - 1917)

IMG_8689.JPG

George W. Shepherd (undated), purchased from his descendants by a collector in the 1940's. During the war he obtained the rank of Capt under Quantrill. Post war he was a member of the James gang & captured at Russellvill, serving prison time after which Jesse never trusted him (which may have contributed to the killing of Ike Flannery). He died in 1917.

IMG_8683.jpg

Post War dated 1866, on his horse Gus. Taken at Sni-A-Bar Township.

IMG_8650.jpg

Taken for identification purposes at courthouse on change of venue issue, March 1868. Some 20 months before the killing of Jim Anderson.

IMG_8682.jpg

Mattie Sanders Maddox Shepherd (pre-war pic 1857-1858). During the war she dressed as a man, "Matt Sanders" & rode along with her first husband Richard "Dick" Maddox. When Maddox was killed by a Cherokee Indian soon after the war was over, she married George Shepherd.

IMG_8677.jpg

Palm Beach County Sheriff Bob Baker who finally got his man, John Ashley in 1924.
I watched an episode of LAWMEN about Sheriff Baker on AHC. Pretty cool man and story.

3064a2c54ce366dddab6971ceb37dec9.jpg

My parents were both raised in St Lucie County which is about 2 counties north of Palm Beach and just north of Stuart.
When I was younger, I met some old-timers who were kids growing up in the days of the Ashley Gang, one old fellow remembered seeing them around the county. Another family friend, Ada Coats Williams wrote a small book about the Ashley Gang:
https://indianriverstore.com/Floridas-Ashley-Gang-by-Ada-Coats-Williams-FCLS0001.htm
There is a book written by Hix Stuart, I believe on of the deputies, published in the 20s shortly after all this occurred. I managed to get a copy from Ebay. Laura Upthegrove was John Ashley's paramour, she had a rather tragic story and ending: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Upthegrove

Last edited:
A hero to many ...

View attachment 235085

A 1954 color slide of R. F. Coosie in Flagstaff, Arizona. Mr. Coosie, a camp cook, invented insulated beverage covers in the late 1930s. He wanted a way to keep his beer at a comfortable drinking temperature during the long cattle drives in the desert.

Thanks for teaching me something new, Bob! I always thought calling them "coozie" was just an appropriation of the word "cozy."

Not all heroes wear capes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran