Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Sorry.................HAD to post this.......there are good hats here.:rolleyes:

1658494520899.png
:)

Going thru family albums to select images for a funeral service I ran across these of my grandfather and grand mother.

First is my grandfather at 16 in 1920, he is on the left (his brother is on the right).
1659014874551.png

Grandparents decked out circa 1940.
1659015093071.png
1659015106930.png
'
While no hat were present, I find these pre war club photos fascinating. Just like in the Noir Movies........they have a number of these.
They were VERY into the whole Chicago scene at the time.......Grandfather on right, grandmother middle, I believe the woman accross from grandfather is his sister and her husband (we have a cool photo of her in a WAC Uniform). Not sure the woman on his right.
1659015391677.png
1659015419848.png

Here is another....
1659015759227.png

1659015709202.png

A trip down the Family photo collective.......

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
Amazing
Going thru family albums to select images for a funeral service I ran across these of my grandfather and grand mother.

First is my grandfather at 16 in 1920, he is on the left.
View attachment 441080
View attachment 441081 View attachment 441083 '
While no hat were present, I find these pre war club photos fascinating. Just like in the Noir Movies........they have a number of these.
They were VERY into the whole Chicago scene at the time.......Grandfather on right, grandmother middle, I believe the woman accross from grandfather is his sister and her husband (we have a cool photo of her in a WAC Uniform). Not sure the woman on his right.
View attachment 441087 View attachment 441088
Here is another....
View attachment 441096
View attachment 441094
Amazing!

First is my grandfather at 16 in 1920, he is on the left (his brother is on the right).
View attachment 441080
View attachment 441081 View attachment 441083 '
View attachment 441087 View attachment 441088
Here is another....
View attachment 441096
View attachment 441094

These are great, Mark. I love the club memorabilia, as well. IN that first club shot, it appears the woman in the back is reacting to some news. I definitely hear a George Takei-esque, "Oh, my!"

The one from the 5100 club has some interesting, er, details on the dancer.

I'm sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing.

it appears the woman in the back is reacting to some news. I definitely hear a George Takei-esque, "Oh, my!"

details on the dancer.
I think perhaps she may have been reacting to the details of an actual dancer.....:oops:
:rolleyes:;)

PS: hey we came up wth a good club name...."The Detail Club"or "Detail Shop".:)

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, Mark. My condolences.

This pic was in my father’s things. It has a photography studio stamp dated 1869, from a nearby town to where my ancestors settled & where future generations including myself were born. It would have been the generation where there were 7 boys & 4 girls. I can easily see 4 brothers but I’m not sure about the other 3. So I just don’t know.

A98934DE-C064-44CA-ADA4-561DCFE485E4.jpeg

1660739901968.png

Will Rogers was the very definition of American.

Born to a Cherokee Nation family in Oologah, Indian Territory (now Oklahoma), Rogers joked that though his ancestors didn't come over on the Mayflower, they "met the boat". Dog Iron Ranch, the property of Will's father Clement Vann Rogers, had as many as 10,000 Texas longhorns, and Will, the youngest of eight children, grew up in the saddle. An avid reader and good student, Will quickly decided that the saddle was more comfortable than the school desk, and, after dropping out of school in the 10th grade, worked his father's ranch full time.

When he was 22 years old, Will and a friend set off from Oklahoma to Argentina, sure that their cowboy skills would serve them well as gauchos on the Argentine Pampas. They bought a ranch and worked for five months before running out of money. Unwilling to return home and face his father's disappointment, Will boarded a boat to South Africa, where he got a job as a rancher at Mooi River Station.

Soon, a Wild West Circus passed through the area and Will Rogers went to see the show, intent on asking for a job handling the show's livestock. Rogers would later tell a reporter for the New York Times:

"Texas Jack had a little Wild West aggregation that visited the camps and did a tremendous business. I did some roping and riding, and Jack, who was one of the smartest showmen I ever knew, took a great interest in me. It was he who gave me the idea for my original stage act with my pony. I learned a lot about the show business from him. He could do a bum act with a rope that an ordinary man couldn't get away with, and make the audience think it was great, so I used to study him by the hour, and from him I learned the great secret of the show business—knowing when to get off. It's the fellow who knows when to quit that the audience wants more of."

This Texas Jack was not John B. Omohundro. Actually, no one, not even the man himself, knew this Texas Jack's real name. He was born sometime between 1863 and 1867, and his parents had been killed when their wagon train headed west was ambushed, reportedly by a Comanche raiding party. The child had been taken captive, along with two young girls from another family's wagon, but was rescued by the cowboy Texas Jack Omohundro, who delivered the children to a Kansas orphanage, selling the Comanche ponies to provide funding for the children's education. The boy grew up not knowing his name or the names of his parents, only knowing that the man who rescued him was called Texas Jack. After Omohundro's 1880 death, this young man showed up at the Omohundro home in Palmyra, Virginia, asking for the family's blessing to use his rescuer's name as he set off on his own venture into show business.

Initially called Texas Jack Junior, by the time he had established himself as a performer in America and Europe he dropped the "Junior" entirely. By the time Will Rogers asked for a job in Ladysmith, South Africa, his show was billed as Texas Jack's Wild West Circus. According to Rogers, he asked the circus owner if he was really from Texas, if he was related to the famous Texas Jack from the dime novels, and if he had any jobs wrangling horses for the show. Jack Jr. asked the young man if he could put together a rope trick act. The young man said he believed he could and Jack Jr. hired him on the spot, suggesting the young performer adopt the nickname “The Cherokee Kid”. Performing the same lasso act that Texas Jack Omohundro introduced to the world thirty years earlier, this was Will Rogers’ first job in show business.

Will Rogers died in a plane crash in Alaska on August 15th, 1935. Before his death, the State of Oklahoma commissioned a statue of him to place in the United States Capital's National Statuary Hall collection. Rogers agreed on the condition that his statue face the House Chamber so that Rogers could "keep an eye on Congress." Since the statue's installation in 1939, each President of the United States of America has rubbed the Will Rogers statue's left foot for good luck before stepping into the House Chamber to deliver the State of the Union address.

[Pictured from left to right: Texas Jack Junior, Lyle Marr (TJ Jr's wife), Clarence Welby Cooke, and Will Rogers.]

Charlo (also Charlot; Claw of the Little Grizzly or Small Grizzly-Bear Claw) (c. 1830-1910) was the leader of the Bitterroot Salish from 1870 to 1910.
Charlo was born around 1830, before there was a permanent white colony in what is now Montana. His father was Chief Victor (a lot of horses or a lot of horses). Charlo grew up in the Bitterroot Valley, the ancestral home of his people, where every landscape had a coyote story, tribal event, or family history attached to it.
1661966914708.png

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko