Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
More screen grabs:

Saloon Bar (1945)

Gordon Harker wearing the bold checks that mark him out as a bookie:
Harkercoat2_zps73094273.jpg

Harkercoat_zps3dce9078.jpg

Alec Clunes (father of Martin Clunes) wearing a nice Donegal Tweed jacket (pleated patch pockets but no belt-back):
AlecClunes-donegaltweedjacket_zps036dfdbb.jpg

I'm a big fan of these 1930s belted overcoats without buttons:
nobuttonsoncoat_zps8cfad801.jpg

Sock suspenders:
socksuspenders_zps6ffa3987.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Front pleats. Caption says: "Hannes Stelzer. German postcard by Ross-Verlag, no. A 3134/1, 1939-1940. Photo: Haenchen / Tobis."

tumblr_mxmtdk9sDn1rn3zdyo1_500.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've only just learned to love jackets with two breast pockets ...

... and now you show me jackets with no breast pockets!!

Love it.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
My pleat machine has too many pleats on the chest to allow a breast pocket. The downside is, you can't carry a wallet in the inside chest pocket or you look like you have a man boob - only one. Not a good look.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
No, Flo, post ahead. I think Fastuni posted it somewhere before, didn't he?

BK, that's the look. ;)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
@Two Types

Interestingly enough German tailoring publications from 1943/44 call for omitting the ¨useless" breast pocket altogether from all suits (wartime saving measure).
One of the reasons given was that it is easier to turn the fabric of the suit and have no slit on the chest on the wrong side.

They followed the example of Danish tailors and of course tried to suggest that the pocket-less chest is more youthful.^^

Metatron

One Too Many
Great film, but I found it hard to believe that a man on the run would let a young kid go along with him.
I like the leather jacket he wears later in the film.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Great film, but I found it hard to believe that a man on the run would let a young kid go along with him.
I like the leather jacket he wears later in the film.

I've just posted pics of that jacket in the 'Vintage Photos of leather Jackets' thread in the outerwear section.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Bela Lugosi, looks like sometime in the '30s. If anyone has more photos or info on this suit I'd love to know, I'd like to do a repro of it. 334fe72ec0ff98edcbc3ecd2d39b17b8.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Nick, I'm pretty sure that's the suit from The Black Cat. There are quite a few shots of that suit on the FL. I posted some pictures of the back, showing the belt back and pleats etc.
BlackCat6_zpsf722fd9a.jpg

BlackCat1_zps484423fb.jpg

BlackCat4_zpsc580cee7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy