Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your 1930s Beach Pyjamas

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
A two-piece pair of early 30s beach pyjamas...with POLKA DOTS. Again, they were too small for me in the waist and rise, so I sold them along. Wahhhh!

pjs1.jpg

oh how i wish i was the one to buy those hahaha

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I love Beach Pajamas too!

I sold this one a few months ago. It's a cotton print of college penants.
Unfortunately it was only in fair condition. It has some stains and the dark colors have all run in the cotton fabric.

v633.JPG

AMAZING! Combines two of my favorite 1930s things- collegiate influence and pajamas! SO yummy!

I love seeing everyone's pyjamas!

Baroness, those polka dot ones- I STILL wish my legs were shorter so I could have gotten those from you ;)

Love the pattern, Miss Tuppence! I have never seen that one before.

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Great Thread, these are mine, picked up a couple of summers ago at a carboot sale, I was jumping inside when I spotted them.
They are for a petite girl, so are too small for me, I just love the eyelet detail on the frilled neckline and the contrasting inserts on the
legs.
1930sPJs.jpg

CIMG3458.jpg

CIMG3461.jpg

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
I love Beach Pajamas too!

I sold this one a few months ago. It's a cotton print of college penants.
Unfortunately it was only in fair condition. It has some stains and the dark colors have all run in the cotton fabric.

v633.JPG

And this silk pair I've had for over 10 years. Love, love, love them.

pajama1.jpg

I remember seeing your listing for that college one. AMAZING. Those silk ones are incredible, too....and SO rare!

ColeV48

Familiar Face
I recently went on a cruise and made a pajama set (amongst other things) for it:
IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

The trousers were from Eva Dresses 1934 Lounging Ensemble pattern, while the top is basically two triangles cut on the bias.

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Now how cool is that, to find the photo matches the illustration?!?

I wonder if the pattern illustrators sometimes drew from 'life' or cloth, as it were. I'd always thought they just made it up or followed some vague direction - 'Make that one striped and that one green' style.

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
FINALLY got a chance to wear my early 1930s vest/bolero...
bolero2a.jpg

You can't tell in this pic, but Lauren (gal in the middle) is wearing an amazing pair of 30s beach pyjamas she made herself!! Lauren, did you find a full length pic of them? I think Nicole might have taken one :)

IMG_5957.JPG

swinggal

One Too Many
I recently went on a cruise and made a pajama set (amongst other things) for it:
IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

The trousers were from Eva Dresses 1934 Lounging Ensemble pattern, while the top is basically two triangles cut on the bias.

Fantastic! I have that pattern too but have not made it yet. The person I know who has the biggest collection of the most stunning beach/lounging pyjamasI have ever seen is a friend in LA named Amber. She has 9 pairs of original ones that I have seen her wear and they are all different and stunning and some come with matching boleros! I might ask her if I can post the pics of her wearing them here.

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
Fantastic! I have that pattern too but have not made it yet. The person I know who has the biggest collection of the most stunning beach/lounging pyjamasI have ever seen is a friend in LA named Amber. She has 9 pairs of original ones that I have seen her wear and they are all different and stunning and some come with matching boleros! I might ask her if I can post the pics of her wearing them here.

I agree! Amber's collection of beach pjs is impressive! I think the only other person I know who has amassed a major archive of these garments would be my friend Heidi (who, interestingly, recently scored one of Amber's best pairs on ebay). http://citizencouture.com/2010/06/heidi-rosenau/

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
Heidi actually even came across a picture of a woman wearing the exact same (or identical style) of beach pjs, complete with matching hat, that she had acquired a while before. What are the chances?! Vintage serendipity strikes again! I'll see if she will post here or let me do so!

swinggal

One Too Many
Yes, I love her collection. I have found beach pjs in the past but they were always too small for me so I sold them on to friends. So many women here in Australia wore them in summer in the 1930s so I am surprised more don't turn up. Maybe they were all worn to death and thrown away, as they are sooo comfy :)

I have this 1930 poster advertising Bondi Beach (at Bondi Pavillion in Sydney) framed at home. Such a lovely, stylised depiction of the beach fashions of the day...including our beloved lounging pjs. The woman on the left even has a matching hat :)

Bondi_Poster_circa_1930.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran