Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your 2021 hats

The Shoe

One Too Many
Here’s my haul from 2021. Sparse compared to some, but I collected hats at a rate I can’t imagine myself matching in future years…not true, I have a good imagination, but this year’s haul is unlikely to be matched. I have a wife putting the break on!
674CD829-9F37-43FB-AA56-C4EB0C9F1D85.jpeg

I’d love to see your hauls.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That green hat, back row, outside right, just what I'm looking for. My hat collection is quite limited, just fifteen in all. Problem is, my hat size, at seven and three quarters (62cm) they are not as easy to find as smaller sizes. I tend to go for bespoke. Now if you want to start another thread about Aloha shirts............................

The Shoe

One Too Many
That green hat, back row, outside right, just what I'm looking for. My hat collection is quite limited, just fifteen in all. Problem is, my hat size, at seven and three quarters (62cm) they are not as easy to find as smaller sizes. I tend to go for bespoke. Now if you want to start another thread about Aloha shirts............................
I’m afraid the camera is deceiving you here. That hat is not green. It’s a grey heathered Véritable Feutre de Poil (maker unknown) that I got from Daniele.
51527DB5-53D8-4816-AD85-3B8FFF980870.jpeg

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Here’s my haul from 2021. Sparse compared to some, but I collected hats at a rate I can’t imagine myself matching in future years…not true, I have a good imagination, but this year’s haul is unlikely to be matched. I have a wife putting the break on!
View attachment 392169
That was a good 2021 for you, I enjoy seeing your pictures.

Here's my 2021, mostly the last 6 months since I joined the FL.

20211231_171242.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
That was a good 2021 for you, I enjoy seeing your pictures.

Here's my 2021, mostly the last 6 months since I joined the FL.

View attachment 392265
That’s what happens.
May 2022 bring you many more hats.
Time to try a new style? A homburg? A bowler? Maybe a big ol’ western with a Gus crease!? Or a fez? I haven’t seen a fez on here for ages!

Happy New Year.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
That’s what happens.
Time to try a new style? A homburg? A bowler? Maybe a big ol’ western with a Gus crease!? Or a fez? I haven’t seen a fez on here for ages!

Happy New Year.

I think 2022 will be the year for a Panama, maybe an Indy hat, and almost certainly my first custom. I'm not sure if I can pull off the Homburg but might be tempted to try. I'd try on a Gus sometime too but that is a lot of hat! :D

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
That’s what happens.

Happy New Year.

Happy New Year 2022 to you and Etsuko, Gary.

Great idea for a new thread. I'll have to check back on the hats I picked up in 2021 and post them soon. I think it was probably the most lucrative hat year so far.

Meanwhile, here's one of me in my Stefan @steur created Fez from 2020 :) IMG_20220101_034934.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
Happy New Year 2022 to you and Etsuko, Gary.

Great idea for a new thread. I'll have to check back on the hats I picked up in 2021 and post them soon. I think it was probably the most lucrative hat year so far.

Meanwhile, here's one of me in my Stefan @steur created Fez from 2020 :) View attachment 392296
And to you and yours, Steve.
Love the picture. When I first started frequenting the Lounge, Stefan’s Fezzes were quite common. It’s been some time since I’ve seen one, though.

I picked up a few wool Porkpies this year 'cause they got good to me and I didn't have to spend a lot of money on them. But to save time and space in this thread, this was the most recent, the best, and my favorite of the hats I acquired this year:

Os3E01f.jpg

My first Borsalino, a dark brown fur felt with a lighter colored "ribbon" with a somewhat coarse weave and what looks like a printed-on pattern that appears to have been designed to make the hat look used and a bit worn. Also my first hat without a liner. Crown height as it's currently creased (Teardrop) is 3-1/2" at the front, gently sloping to 3" at the rear; brim width is 1-3/4". The felt on the crown is soft and shaped easily, but wouldn't hold any shape I gave it (seemed to be reverting to previous creases) until I sprayed it with distilled water and let it dry. The nice folks in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread have informed me that it was most likely manufactured between 1961 and 1965, so if that's true the hat and I are approximately the same age.

The Shoe

One Too Many
That’s a spectacular selection! I especially like that top one. The ribbon on the second one also looks great. I’ve never tried a boater. I’m always worried that they wouldn’t fit my long oval head, but I do like how they look.
Full disclosure. I also bought a Dobbs that I quickly got rid of. Not enough research before purchasing - lesson learnt.
Here’s hoping for an equally impressive 2022!

Last edited:

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 392169
Congrats, Gary, on a bountiful year! I for one have greatly enjoyed watching your collection grow and appreciate your wonderful contributions to the Lounge.

Most impressive, Bill! I love the variety of styles, shapes, and colors you have managed to curate this past year.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Looking back I have to say that 2021 was a good year for me. I added my oldest felt and straw hats to my collection, a Stetson No. 1 Quality (LOT 2534) and a late 1800s Western Straw Works, respectively.

Snapseed.jpg

Front to back, left to right, as received this year:
Thoroughbred (Beaver Brand), Borsalino, Western Straw Works, Borsalino (Zlateff cache), AdaMajestic, Stetson No. 1 Quality, Borsalino (German market), Dobbs Plainsman, Augsburger, and an unknown fur ambassador hat made in Sweden.

Snapseed.jpg

I also hit my self imposed limit for felts and had to move some along to make room for new additions. Things will be more difficult going forward as decisions will have to be made about what makes the cut.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Ooh-la-la, where do you keep the key to your hat cupboard Bill?
straw hat.jpg
Now this has given me some thought. Having just recently re-watched Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade on TV over the holidays, my wife has found out where she can buy a Dr Schneider paper pattern so that she can replicate the outfit. I shall treat her to the hat to go with it.
elsa schneider.jpg
When she wears her outfit at festivals I like to match her's with something of similar vintage, but definitely not, Indiana Jones. I have a modern yet vintage style blazer that a hat like your lovely straw would be a perfect match.
blazer2.jpeg

View attachment 392169
Great idea. This will take some doing though. I'll be back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner