Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Aprons!

lareine

A-List Customer
Lady Jessica said:
I'm in love with this apron! You made it? Do you remember what pattern it is? I want to make one as my first sewing project with a machine! :)
I'd like to know too! It looks so sweet, although I'm sure the lovely fabric choices have as much to do with that as the pattern itself :)
Aha! I was browsing for something else and found the details here.

I made my first apron today (well, first since I was a teenager, a loooong time ago). I used a 1952 Vogue re-issue. For some reason it makes me want to knead bread lol

HepKitty

One Too Many
lareine said:
I'd like to know too! It looks so sweet, although I'm sure the lovely fabric choices have as much to do with that as the pattern itself :)
Aha! I was browsing for something else and found the details here.

I made my first apron today (well, first since I was a teenager, a loooong time ago). I used a 1952 Vogue re-issue. For some reason it makes me want to knead bread lol

we would love to see pictures when you have them

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
So many lovely aprons! I don't have a pic of the one I want to mention, but I'm hoping I can get a little piece of advice from the ladies perusing the thread. I hope this is okay to post here, I did a search and found no one thread for such a matter.

I have a 'Charming Hostess' brand sheer white organza apron from the early 50s. Because I've had my things in storage for a long time, it's so, so wrinkled. Now I hope to sell it to a little vintage store around the corner, and I need to smooth it out. But knowing nothing about sheer organza... can I simply iron it? On low, perhaps with a piece of clean muslin between the iron and organza?

I'm a little afraid I'm going to hurt it. Input very appreciated.

Lady Cecilia

New in Town
Here's my apron, not vintage, just home-improvised. I need to add pockets at some point, keep forgetting...

apron.jpg

Miss Moonlight said:
I have a 'Charming Hostess' brand sheer white organza apron from the early 50s. Because I've had my things in storage for a long time, it's so, so wrinkled. Now I hope to sell it to a little vintage store around the corner, and I need to smooth it out. But knowing nothing about sheer organza... can I simply iron it? On low, perhaps with a piece of clean muslin between the iron and organza?

I would put a pressing cloth in between the organza and the iron, perhaps sprinkle the cloth with some water and iron at the lowest setting. Then again, I'm no expert. Maybe you could ask the person who runs the vintage store? They've probably come across something like it before. Alternatively you could go to a dry cleaner's who have experience with vintage garments and ask them for advice. Good luck with it!

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Lady Cecilia said:
Here's my apron, not vintage, just home-improvised. I need to add pockets at some point, keep forgetting...

That's adorable! Pockets will only add to its loveliness.

And thank you for the advice!

Heather

Practically Family
Apron lovers!

Okay ladies...for those of you out there who collect aprons, how do you store them? I currently have mine shoved in a kitchen drawer, which doesn't seem right. lol I'd like to keep them somewhere for easy access and I was wondering what women used to do with theirs when they weren't using them. Or any clever ways you ladies have to suggest! :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have a few nice aprons, which are relegated to drawers too, which annoys me. The two i am using at the moment, i have a hook for on my kitchen door, so i can admire them in all their barkcloth glory! I also have one hung up in my utility room, so i can pop it on when i go outside to garden. I think have as many hooks as possible to hang them off as many walls and doors could be the answer!

My girlfriend who has an enormous kitchen with very high ceilings, has her half aprons strung like bunting. It looks great. It wouldnt work in my shoe-box sized kitchen.

TheNightingale

New in Town
I've quite a few aprons, in part because people are buying them for me a lot (darn). I actually rotate them according to season so that drawer in the kitchen isn't so overstuffed! The off-season aprons go into my great-grandfather's old steamer trunk, which is in our master bedroom. The one I'm using today is usually draped over the oven handle when it's not on.

When I think about it, that is how my grandmother & great-grandmother did things, too. The nice hostess-style aprons were on hangers in the closet.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I have four aprons - a vintage half given to me from my boyfriend's aunt, a modern one my mom gave me, a modern one I use for all my cooking/cleaning and a fancy one made by the same aunt.
I only wear the one because the others are two pretty! I have a shelf with three hooks in my front-entry way right beside the kitchen doorway - I hang them there, but I'd love to display them better. I need to throw a dinner party to show them off *hmm*

Caroline H

Familiar Face
Some friends made me a new apron for Christmas! I'm not sure if it will really show in the picture, but it has a string of pearls attached to the ties around the neck so that you can make sure you have your pearls on even when cooking!

003.jpg
[/IMG]

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I recently got my first long pinny and I adore it. Its pink and I feel like a princess when I wear it. I can't wait to use my crocheted hostess aprons some day. I keep my aprons hanging on the 3M comand hooks on my kitchen wall.

wahine

Practically Family
What a wonderful thread!
I've been wearing aprons for a long time and have some vintage ones, too. The older ones, I have from my grandma's cupboard but they're all much used=stained. I was successful cleaning one of them but the other stains are forever as it seems. Even chlorine didn't do the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner