Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Aprons!

Lottie

Familiar Face
Marla said:
If I baked or cooked I would definitely wear one, though perhaps not a vintage one because I would be afraid of staining it permanently. But, I am considering wearing an apron while sewing to keep threads from sticking to my clothes!

That's a brilliant idea! And a perfect excuse for me to make an apron because I'm not that much of a cook...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yep.

I have three copies of this model....

Shoes018-1.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
They're definitely vintage but how vintage I don't know.lol I have several small, impractical aprons (sorry, but I think the small kind, while cute are impractical) from my MIL. I prefer to just wear old garbs in the kitchen. If I wear an apron, there's a danger I won't remember to take it off. I've been very close to going to school pot lucks with an apron on. I'd prefer the full kind with sleeves.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I only have 2 aprons - one that is vintage and made of terry cloth, the other a full cotton one that I made as my first sewing project using a pattern. It's not even a repro pattern, but I chose a small, 1930s-ish print, and I do wear this one all the time, as I make a right mess in the kitchen. I also wear it frequently when doing dishes, as I have a tendency to splash water. I like vintage ones, but never buy them because I know I'd never wear them for fear of ruining them.

apron.jpg

Sorry for the super cr*ppy photo. Please ignore the fact that I look awful.
DSCF0123.jpg

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
I wear the one apron I have (I need to search the local antique stores for more!), and it's a 1950's vintage, floral pattern, made of terrycloth. The only qualm I have with it is its lack of pockets; I considered sewing some on, but as it's inherited I find myself not wanting to alter it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My father and his father both wore aprons, and all their paternal ancestors probably did, too--leather ones. They were blacksmiths and welders.

I usually wear a full, plain cloth one.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Just about to finish making my first vintage repro apron - narrow red and white stripes with appliqued hearts on the bib.
See, basically, when Tu Jnr arrives, IHim Indoors will be taking over full-time caring when I go back to work. Him Indoors being a very hairy Manly Chap, we originally thought that it would be highly ironic and amusing to make him a bib apron for cooking, in the style of the cover of the Past Times "Housewives' Choice" CD.

Sadly once nearing completion His Nibs looked at the ruffles and became somewhat uneasy. Fortunately I like it so once I have a waist around which to tie it again, it's all mine....

HepKitty

One Too Many
not all of these are retro but I made them all

for my son

for my daughter

for one niece

for the other (they fight over them)

mine, Evil Octopus is a band from Idaho Falls

apron for Anna

apron for Leah

apron for Norma

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Inky, so glad you started this thread!

Miss Bella Hell, you have a great collection. A woman after my own heart. Love the poodle one especially.

KittyT - that pots and pans one is SO cute!

I do wear mine, except for the taffeta black and white one below. Though, I must admit, I haven't been cooking or baking much lately!
X
BD
01013sm.jpg

Taffeta one:
01014sm.jpg

Same as above, reversed:
01015sm.jpg

01016sm.jpg

01017sm.jpg

This one is not vintage, but I love it!
01018sm.jpg

And my one from the other thread:
01024.jpg

X
BD

Kishtu

Practically Family
Hairy Bloke of this very forum will be shortly coming into possession of a rather lovely full-skirted bib apron in white with red love-heart print and polka dots... just as soon as I finish hemming it lol

The thing with having a dressmaker as your significant other is that you have to be careful what you wish for :D you may just get it....

Photos if he'll let me :D
Other than that will have to wait till Splodge is born and I don't look like I'm smuggling pillows underneath my apron!

Roxybella Rossa

New in Town
New girl in town and happy to meet your acquaintance

Hi Guys anyone home ??..anyone for high tea its only late noon This is a curtain call for any aussie retro chicks out there & I'm new in town.. you hello ALL.....see you soon....Roxybella Rossa. ;)

BoPeep

Practically Family
fuzzylizzie - Adorable!!

I always wear an apron. Makes cooking feel official! lol Here's my vintage apron that I wear everyday . . .

IMG_2503.jpg
IMG_2504.jpg
IMG_2502.jpg

And a copy of that I made for my friend. The pocket is a corner of an old hand-embroidered tablecloth (other three corners I made into a clothespin bag).

IMG_2510.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I have several pinny-style aprons in different cotton prints, which I wear for Heavy Chores --

washday.jpg

When I'm doing filthy hands and knees work, though, I wear a suit of denim overalls. An apron can only do so much.

I've decided that I need one of these. I get dressed in the morning, de-fur my clothes, go bring the cat inside and need to de-fur again before I leave the house! I need a pinny to protect my work clothes from the fuzzbeast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana