Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Aprons!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I came across another pattern that matches one of my aprons:
wpt21080mac884.jpg

The pleats are made of warm red, blue, green, yellow, and dark brown striped fabric, with the waistband/sash and a border in plain yellow fabric, trimmed in yellow rickrack. It's perfect for fall!

Rosie

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
I promised myself I would actually use it! :) I will wear it for the first time tonight after I launder it today. I am making apron-worthy pasta and tomato sauce. I also plan to wear it- with pearls!- when I do my household chores this weekend. :D

lol In another universe we would be twins. Many of my cooking/cleaning fantasies involve me wearing pearls, heels and beautiful aprons. Have you ever seen Little Shop of Horrors (the one that came out in the '80s)? Audrey's part where she sings about "cooking like Betty Crocker and looking like Donna Reed"? That's totally me. (though most of my cleaning gets done in my vintage housedress or a pair of yoga pants) From your posts about whote gloves, hankies and aprons, we seem very similar in those areas.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Some Weekend Finds

100_1414.jpg
I got the three of these at a local antique store for a dollar each. They are all super cute. Just needed a little handwash and some starch and good as new!

marquise

Familiar Face
I do have around four ebayed 1930s feedsack aprons, but this is the only one I have in a photo (with an early '30s housedress):
bisquits2.jpg

... It's a really fantastic repro, given to me by a friend, w/ a lovely deco flower pattern. I was cookin' down & dirty that day in a friend's kitchen, for a party. (Depression themed!)
bisquits.jpg

Elaina

One Too Many
On my sewing list I coordinated an apron exchange (where we used people powered machines to make them) and I made 1950's tea aprons in vintage fabrics from an original pattern.

One was light blue with black and white flowers, and teal stems, with white and teal cotton eyelet lace at the pockets, and light blue bias tape (all notions were from the 50's), the other was white with yellow roses and dark green stems, and green lace around the pockets.

I received a flapper apron that's reversible, Wal- mart blue on one side, kitten and kids vintage print on the front with a cat and sewing machine button.

I have about 14 aprons, that I use. Range from 1800's patterns to 1950's. I have 2 in the 1800's style in a brown fall leaf print and orange pockets with red lace trim on the pockets, and orange ruffle and the red lace atop that, lined in red on the bodice and red buttons (My Thanksgiving apron) and a silver lame` and emerald green costume satin with red cotton lace trim in a similar style for X-mas. I have one for every holiday: a white tea apron with red waistband and red heart pockets (from another pattern) with white lace for Valentines, a light green with dark green shamrock tea for St. Patty's, an easter print retro apron, A red white and blue one, and one that's in black sheer with spiderwebs and orange lame` for pockets for 4th of July and Halloween respectively. I also have one that's all sheer and lace, for parties, and they're all tea length. Then I have different cotton/cotton blends for around the house that varies in coverage, design and fanciness. I have one that I wear that's a wraparound that I sew in because removing that is easier then removing my actual clothing. And I have the one apron from the 30's that's so ugly I don't wear it, but I got it from my Auntie and so I can't toss it.

I actually need to make about 3 more. One of them is wearing out, and then I've bleached a couple cleaning. I also need to get away from the mass of 1950's aprons and get some flapper styles. I love the 20's aprons, they were so inventive.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Snookie said:
I made mine from a repro pattern -- Butterick or some mainstream company, can't remember anymore. I made the purple bias binding myself. What a PAIN! :)

DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

I love this apron! Do you still have the pattern or know where I could get hold of the same one??

Snookie

Practically Family
I searched and searched for the pattern, but it's gone AWOL! I looked at the McCall's and Butterick sites, but I didn't see it on there, either. Maybe it's Simplicity, or out-of-print. Darn it!

If I track it down, I'll post the info. Wish I could help more!

Elaina

One Too Many
This is the one I'm almost done with tonight. I have to do all the rick rack. I got this from some website, loved it, went and picked out some perriwinkle cotton and light blue organza, with royal blue rickrack. Thinking of making the french knots in it (on every zag) in silver.

lat1-vintage-aprons.jpg

Elaina

One Too Many
Navy blue rick-rack...then embroidery details on the ^ part of it. Like so:
lat2-vintage-aprons.jpg

Probably just to change out of a workhorse apron before my husband gets home. That or just to be pretty and hang around. I need to give up on the pretty pretties and make some solid regular aprons. Problem is, I don't like the regular ones, and I hate messing up the pretty ones.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Snookie said:
I searched and searched for the pattern, but it's gone AWOL! I looked at the McCall's and Butterick sites, but I didn't see it on there, either. Maybe it's Simplicity, or out-of-print. Darn it!

If I track it down, I'll post the info. Wish I could help more!

If you would that would be great! I am starting a dressmaking course and was thinking about starting with an apron and your apron is just too darn perfect!

Elaina

One Too Many
I have the 4492 that was uncut and unused I got for free from a Jehova Witness that came knocking on my door. I'm not one, don't plan to be one, but I don't feel the need to be rude, and offered her something to drink and to sit down (it was in the middle of summer.) She came back a few weeks later with it.

I also won one in terrible shape with a batch of vintage patterns off ebay (one of the three things I've ever purchased). They're both in different sizes, but they are wonderful to put together and look awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff