Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Aprons!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
HI Nikki, could help but mention this link when I noticed your thread. Michael Miller does lots of vintage reproduction fabrics, including vintage cowboys/cowgirls etc.

It's not the "real" thing but I have bought quite a lot and it's all lovely!
Thought you might be interested. You can search for it on Ebay too at really good prices.

They do great retro tablecloths too!

http://www.hartsfabric.com/33522.html

lizylou

Familiar Face
The History of APRONS

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress
underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the
warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from
the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how
much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to
dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to
cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.
They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron.

Leila de la May

New in Town
Most Definitely LD, and it soo well written. Truly inspiring :eusa_clap I have definitely decided that when I one day have a home and family of my own an I am sure going to where a cute little apron to match the business.
although i do have a sudden urge to wear one now :p

Cricket

Practically Family
This thread has inspired me to go out and find an apron. Better yet, I think I will ask my grandmother to pull her old ones out. They deserve more than being placed in a box in storage. They deserve to be used.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
You couldnt have said it better!!

I recently have come across an apron pattern and I am just soo thrilled to get going on it ;)

I do have one now.. but only for hostess.. its to elegant to get dirty...

**sighs**
My grandma still to this day wears and apron.. I think I might have to take one from her.. :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I love aprons!!! I use mine all the time! I don't remember my grandmother wearing one, but my mom used to wear one all the time too. YAY for aprons!:eusa_clap

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I LOVE aprons! One of the things that made me happy recently was getting a few from my Aunt Joanie's estate. (sad of course that she had passed, but happy to get the aprons, you see) Two bibs, two half aprons and a cobbler. I was so excited, and wear them all the time. My daughter who is 3 even loves aprons, and wears one of the half ones when she "cooks". It's so adorable!

lizylou

Familiar Face

I wish I did write this, I recieved it in an email. I think it truly brings us as woman to realize again, that our job is never finished! lol
I didn't get the chance to grow up with my grandmothers. Except for the few times we had enough money to visit. They lived in Cal. and we lived in Tex. But I certainly remember seeing them working so hard with thier trusty aprons on! I am thinking the same way you girls are. I need to get some of my own! ;)

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
You know I can't even picture my grandmother and great-aunts without their aprons! And I'm lucky enough to have a couple of theirs safely stored away.

Aprons are one of those vintage items that you can still get a great deal on. I look for ones with a Paris theme.

And just for fun, here's one I sold a few weeks ago. It sold the night I listed it in my webstore, and even had another person emailing to ask if I had more:

monkeyapron001.jpg

monkeyapron003.jpg

lizylou

Familiar Face
What a beautiful apron! I need to buy myself one like that. I have two little monkeys of my own! lol That would really set it, huh?:p

Foofoogal

Banned
My mom wore one every day of her life. I have sold quite a few but I collect the sheer hostess Christmas aprons. The ones with glitter or rhinestones on them. I have a bunch. I store them in a vintage suitcase and hang them out at Christmas. So festive.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I love, love, love aprons - I have a collection of about 25 of them ranging from the 20's through the 60's. I wear them all of the time, my mom wears one just about everyday and so did my Grandma. Thanks for sharing this delightful little story with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana