Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I love the Tangee one! (always reminds me that during WW2 it was highly favoured and I have a magazine with a spread about 'Beauty is your duty'

C-Dot! How mad is that????? Love it!!! I love gaudy!!!lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Kitty_Sheridan said:
C-Dot! How mad is that????? Love it!!! I love gaudy!!!lol

I love well-placed gaudiness. :D I can look like the classiest dame to my friends, then whip that little viddle out, and watch them fall like flies.

Lenore

Practically Family
Lookie what my hubby just bought me. :)

Compact.jpg

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
coopsgirl, I love that Tangee compact. I have a book about art deco (one of too many, if there is such a thing) and they had a few pictures. I went wild over the art deco motifs on them.

I'm a fiend for anything even remotely art deco related.lol

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I've always put off buying a compact even though I've come across great ones, but after seeing some of the beautiful ones everyone owns I feel like I shouldn't put it off any more.

Does anyone know where I can get one in London?

Marla

A-List Customer
My favorite part of owning compacts is trying the rouge or powder inside! Recently I saw a compact at an antique store with a tiny compartment that was filled with lipstick. I might have to buy it just for that.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Ooo cool! I love it too. Very femme fatale/ black widow:
They are well known for the distinctive black and red coloring of the female of the species and for the fact that she will occasionally eat her mate after reproduction. The female black widow's venom is particularly harmful to humans (males almost never bite humans). The injection of venom from these species is a comparatively dangerous or lethal bite. (Wikipedia)
Lulu-in-Ny said:

appy

Familiar Face
I've got a question... How does one fill a vintage compact? I've always wanted one, but I won't buy one unless I can actually keep my (pref. pressed) powder in it...

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I believe you can only put loose powder in it. Most of those old compacts come with a little screen that goes over the powder, and you dab from that, which is almost like using a compact with pressed powder in it.

Am I correct, compact ladies? I, too, have put off buying myself a pretty compact, though I want one badly, because I'm a little unsure about getting it in working order. I did get my daughter a tiny little vintage Helena Rubenstein compact for Christmas, complete with puff and untouched rouge. But she doesn't want to mess up the H embossed in the rouge (her name is Helena, as well!).

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Compacts... expensive?

I'd really like a vintage compact... they're just beautiful! But how much might I expect to pay for one... It would seem they're varied in price like just about everything but I'd specifically like one of the more elaborate ones with an inside door for the powder... maybe a rouge pot. I've just checked out a beautiful compact like this on Etsy and it's priced at $200. Normal? Just don't want to get ripped off... Thanks for any suggestions!

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mrs. C... Ebay had a lot to look at... in fact I just bid on this little number!!!

showimage.aspx

Hope that link works... I'm new to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran