Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just won this Empire State Building compact from the 40's.
I don't have all that many compacts, but I do have one Empire State one from when the building was first built. This will be a nice companion for it.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Thank you, Sally! I do, too. I keep it atop my 1930s triple-mirrored vanity that I inherited from my grandmother; and I enjoy looking at it every day.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
This is my latest purchase; I thought it was neat that there was a photograph hidden behind the mirror. I plan on keeping the photo, but placing a picture of my grandfather in his Navy uniform over the original:

b5_1.JPG

02_1.JPG

Avalon

A-List Customer
Hi Kids! :D

I recently bought a 1920s/1930s era powder compact. It's so cute - I love it! But it's signed on the bottom by "Mary Scott Rowland". Does anybody know anything about her / her cosmetics line?

Thanks!
kiss.gif

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
What to look for when shopping for a vintage compact?

Hi Ladies,

My name is Katie and I just joined a few days ago. A brief introduction: I've always loved the 1940s especially and am gradually going vintage. I've been doing my hair in various 40s styles for about a week now and receive the nicest compliments. Actually, it's the hair that brought me to Fedora Lounge.

Anyway, I would like to get a compact but I have no idea what to look for other than an intact puff/mirror. All of those combo compacts confuse me and, ultimately, I would like something functional. I'm open to loose powder, but I don't want a mess in my purse.

Is the snapping solid compartment for pressed only and the mesh for powder only, or can powder go in both?

Anything else to help out a newbie would be appreciated. I'm a makeup junkie, so I would love to collect these!

~K

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I use loose powder in compacts without a mesh screen -- but only if there's an inner lid that snaps closed over the powder compartment. Otherwise, you'll end up with powder all over the inside of your purse, which is something that never cleans out.

Most of the better quality compacts came with a soft fabric carrying pouch, and it's nice to have these -- it protects the compact from getting scratched up in your bag. And if there's a powder leak, it'll end up in the pouch instead of the purse!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hi Ladies!

I use my foundation in powder form, but I'd really like to have something other that the ugly plastic compact it comes in, is there anyway to transfer the make-up pan to a compact without damaging the compact?

Any tips and tricks would be lovely:D

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
CanadaDoll said:
Hi Ladies!

I use my foundation in powder form, but I'd really like to have something other that the ugly plastic compact it comes in, is there anyway to transfer the make-up pan to a compact without damaging the compact?

Any tips and tricks would be lovely:D

You won't damage the compact you are putting the powder pan in, but the only method I have used to depot powders, shadows, etc. will damage the original plastic container (though in most cases I would be tossing the old container out, or using it for the Back2MAC recycling program, so it doesn't matter how it ends up.) If you depot it carefully, you will not damage the actual makeup. Here is a step-by-step guide:

http://specktra.net/depotting.php

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
anabolina said:
Ya'll have made me so envious, I'm going to start looking for a vintage compact today, or maybe tomorrow :D

There are -tons- on ebay for really reasonable prices. Compacts are one of those items where if you are not into collecting a 'certain brand' or trying for a really 'collectable' one, you can score them for 5 bucks or less a lot of time.

Hence being able to have so many....like some of us do....*shuffles feet embarassedly*

Denise

anabolina

A-List Customer
Seriously, ya'll have got me too. I just bought a really cute silver one on eBay. Can't wait to get my hands on it. This site is NOT good for my pocketbook.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im thinking of adding a compact to my wardrobe. I dont do make up much, but now my skin is clearing up (yay getting older!) so I may start with regular foundation at least.

Got any ideas for me? I do prefer loose powder foudation.

Help me out ladies! :D

LD

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Lady Day, get some mineral foundation powder. You can adjust the coverage yourself and it doesn't contain preservatives or any other nasty harmful ingredients. Check out the mineral make-up thread for recommendations.

I'm waiting for this little set to arrive:
0694_1_b.JPG

I've got a mother of pearl compact almost exactly like it that belonged to my grandmother, but the mirror has cracked, and this one also has a lid on the inside which the other one doesn't.
Has anyone ever tried putting new lipsticks in old lipstick holders? I figured I could try to fill it with lipbalm.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
ShrinkingViolet said:
Lady Day, get some mineral foundation powder. You can adjust the coverage yourself and it doesn't contain preservatives or any other nasty harmful ingredients. Check out the mineral make-up thread for recommendations.

I'm waiting for this little set to arrive:
0694_1_b.JPG

I've got a mother of pearl compact almost exactly like it that belonged to my grandmother, but the mirror has cracked, and this one also has a lid on the inside which the other one doesn't.
Has anyone ever tried putting new lipsticks in old lipstick holders? I figured I could try to fill it with lipbalm.

Love the new compacts, ladies!

I am waiting for this to arrive--I swapped a couple of eye shadows that I didn't like for it. :)
Dscn2427.jpg
Dscn2430.jpg

Lady Day, I have also had great luck with Aveda's powder foundation. I am not sure about the color range, but it has really agreed with my skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass