Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
mmm...thank you..I feel better now!

I have actually wanted one of that particular design for ages now...so am envious....

so guard it well......;)
Me too. I gave up and got one that have the gazels on the inside but not the outside. :(

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
deadpandiva said:
Me too. I gave up and got one that have the gazels on the inside but not the outside. :(

Yep ...one of mine has gazelle lining too....

Guess we are slumming it together! :D

Sadly I am still on a budget...so no new compacts for me...*sobs*...you have no idea how hard it is for me not to even -look-

R

Red_Lipstick

I have to confess I got this compact case so cheap that I didn't think it was any good!! Now I'm going to look after it with all my love :p

If someday I see another one on auction I'll tell you!

R

Red_Lipstick

Sorry, all I could find with the gazelle:
64c91vw8.jpg

Tourbillion

Practically Family
The only vintage compact that I have is a Djer Kiss Fairy compact, from about 1925. It looks like this:

acc28831_small.jpg

Unfortunately mine no longer has the rouge pot in it. I am wondering if one can fashion a refill?

Anyway, regarding Queen Mary compacts, my mother used to have one, but it was very different from the ones you ladies have, it had a crest on the front instead of a picture. Has anyone ever seen one of these? Unfortunately, my mother threw her compact out because it was broken.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Tourbillion said:
The only vintage compact that I have is a Djer Kiss Fairy compact, from about 1925. It looks like this:

acc28831_small.jpg

Unfortunately mine no longer has the rouge pot in it. I am wondering if one can fashion a refill?

Anyway, regarding Queen Mary compacts, my mother used to have one, but it was very different from the ones you ladies have, it had a crest on the front instead of a picture. Has anyone ever seen one of these? Unfortunately, my mother threw her compact out because it was broken.

oooh so very pretty...I love the really early compacts!

hmmm do you remember anything else about it? color? metal.....?

I haven't seen one like that off the top of my head....but can keep an eye out and look in my books....

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I am going by memory here, and honestly the compact has been gone for about 30 years.

The Queen Mary one that my mom had was a yellow metal, I'm guessing brass, but you could call it "gold tone." It said Queen Mary on the front, I think in another color but I'm not sure, (red, blue? ) probably enamel, and I think that the crest was raised. There was a screen inside to hold the powder, I think it was some type of fabric because it ripped (I think my sister played with it and hastened it's demise). The powder was dark, but it belonged to my great aunt who was very suntanned.

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Ok none of my compacts are in quite such good condition or as exciting in design but I'll show them off anyhow!

My First ever compact!
Well the first one is a Stratton 'Stratnoid' (Also the name of their knitting needles!) It's apparently one of the earliest Stratton’s with a registered design number for 1931 and only 2'' in diam. I think it may be from a later date due to the difference of background foil colour (Turquoise instead of Gold) but who knows they may of done different colour choices from the start?! Oh and the fuzziness of the transfer was like it from new!

P3170017.jpg

My second compact showing of today is a Coty (1920/30’s), also 2’’ in Diam. and again has seen better days (I’m sure all my compacts come to me to retire) It’s for a solid pan of powder, unlike the one above. The design,which I’m sure you all know is called ‘Puffs’ by Rene Lalique (Coty Airspun- L’Aimant). I like this one because I was given two original 30’s/40’s powder boxes from my Grannie with the matching ‘Puffs’ design- all very lovely.

P8050027.jpg

Well these are the only compacts I have a piccy of but I’ll try and get a few snaps of the other chipped and dented little wonders soon- Oh well gives them character!:eek:

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Miss Hattie said:
Ok none of my compacts are in quite such good condition or as exciting in design but I'll show them off anyhow!

My First ever compact!
Well the first one is a Stratton 'Stratnoid' (Also the name of their knitting needles!) It's apparently one of the earliest Stratton’s with a registered design number for 1931 and only 2'' in diam. I think it may be from a later date due to the difference of background foil colour (Turquoise instead of Gold) but who knows they may of done different colour choices from the start?! Oh and the fuzziness of the transfer was like it from new!

P3170017.jpg

My second compact showing of today is a Coty (1920/30’s), also 2’’ in Diam. and again has seen better days (I’m sure all my compacts come to me to retire) It’s for a solid pan of powder, unlike the one above. The design,which I’m sure you all know is called ‘Puffs’ by Rene Lalique (Coty Airspun- L’Aimant). I like this one because I was given two original 30’s/40’s powder boxes from my Grannie with the matching ‘Puffs’ design- all very lovely.

P8050027.jpg

Well these are the only compacts I have a piccy of but I’ll try and get a few snaps of the other chipped and dented little wonders soon- Oh well gives them character!:eek:

I love them both! Did u buy them? Or did someone pass them down to U?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss Hattie said:

P8050027.jpg

Ohhh I love the stratton, despite my general prefernce for non figurals....it reminds me of a lacquer box...

and -so- jealous of the Coty one...I keep watching them and wanting to bid...but its always when I have no money......

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Wow that's a lovvvely compact and with a lipstick case too- golly gosh that would be a dream compact for me (she who has the national collection of different lipsticks in her handbag- yes I'm one of those girls who can never choose which one to wear! Sigh.) Oh and isn't it fab getting goodies through the post!

And to LelaViavonie- the answer.....I bought them (well my mum bought the coty) One gran doesn't wear much make-up and my other grannie does, but when she used proper compacts- boy were they used! Plus I have a sister so there would be squabbling.

Well I'll endevour to take some more pics soon but it's a lil dark here at the mo (It's nearly 9:30 pm here).

Cheerio
Hats x x x

nico demouse

Familiar Face
This is my compact, which belonged to my grandmother. I'm not sure how old it is. I'd love to use it, but the interior latch won't stay closed. Has anyone ever had a compact repaired?

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
If the outer latch does work...use it anyhow.

Does the powder area have a screen? if so, just always open the outer latch carefully and there is no reason why you cant use it...I have a few that have tricky inner latches and use them!

nico demouse

Familiar Face
It does not have a screen, just the inner door. I think I will go ahead and fill it with powder and try it. I'll need to find a powder puff that will fit inside.

My mother has another compact that was my grandmothers. Hers is silver, gold, and rose-gold colored with an Oriental looking design on the cover. Inside was the little compartment for the powder but it also has a little music box. I remember when my grandmother gave it to my mother how wonderful I thought it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay