Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
5677175073_017ecb1df2_z.jpg

WWII Elgin American powder and lipstick compact. Louisville, KY, October 1941

Ooo! Love this one... Is this what they called a "sweet-heart" compact? Anyhow, it's beautiful. Right down to the date on the puff!

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
Bluebird Marsha, that's beautiful! It definitely deserves a case...I'd go with the reverse of the compact colors, blue with ivory accents.

I just got this:
pinkladyfan.jpg

I collect compacts and have loads of them, but my husband has decided this one is his favorite.

MrSpadesGirl

New in Town
This compact belonged to my Great Grandmother, Eldora. It's tiny, but the mirror is clear and works just fine for me. These pictures are actually from an Ebay listing that I ran across last night of the same compact I have. A little lazy on my part, but the pictures were great. My compact is missing the puffs, but still has a little rouge and powder inside.
Compact1.jpg

Compact3-Copy.jpg

Compact4.jpg

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
This is my everyday compact- as you can see it's not in the best of condition, but it's good enough! Plus, I would be too scared to use it if it were in tip top condition!!!
GEDC4333.JPG

1940's (probably no later that 42) R.A.F sweetheart compact.

K.McG

New in Town
thus far I only have one vintage compact, I believe it belonged to either my Grandmother or Great-Grandmother, not really sure as I rescued it from the bin. It's a Germaine Monteil compact, and the powder name was 'Deep Sunglow'
IMG_7591.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

IMG_6041.jpg

As you can see it isn't in the best shape looks wise, I don't know what caused that stain, but I am hoping to be able to clean it up. Do any of you ladies have any tips to offer?

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Ladies, any of you have an idea of the date of this one? I'm guessing it might be around 1952/53- maybe for the coronation (even though it's a kings crown:rolleyes:) It's a Stratton, and it has the self opening inner lid, so cannot be any earlier than '48.... and ideas girls?

6993540422_39326ea649.jpg

DameWhoDrinks

Familiar Face
This thread inspired me to start...love these gorgeousthings. I have two, the square gold one is an
Elgin American that I filled with powder. Looks late 40s to me. The second was on sale and had screen, sitter and puff. Its a beaded Queen star. Feels early 50s.

285767_3705301883715_1788079050_n.jpg

229946_3705306163822_1610568069_2887397_61234039_n.jpg

292099_3705309403903_26330934_n.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
You ladies inspired me to get a vintage compact for the first time. After some ebay failures (not described damages in two compacts I got earlier), I finally got one. It's not half as fancy as the ones that are usually posted here, but I wanted to show you anyway. The good thing about it: it matches with several other travel items I have, namely a toilet bag/dressing case, a tiny sewing kit and a spectacle case which isn't in the picture.

It doesn't look spectacular but it's my first and I love the little comb. Plus, it seems to be unused.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Powder Screen

You are correct. With the powder screen you can use loose powder. Fill the compact and then place the screen on top of the powder. It should keep tidy in your bag then.

I just bought a Stratton compact -- photo forthcoming -- and it comes with its original screen still in. Does this mean I don't need to make a paste with powder & rubbing alcohol, etc? I can put loose powder in and the screen holds it? Sorry gals, I just want to use it when it comes, and I don't know what it means with screen and so forth.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
I use all of my vintage compacts. If the screen is not with the compact, then I make the powder/alcohol mixture. I do have one small silver one that has a sliding cover over the powder. When I want to use it, I just slide it to the open holes and then I can dispense as much powder as I need.

Your amazing compacts made me want one for myself!
Just one question - does anyone use them? may be put some loose powder, change the puff?

Thanks,
Kathy

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
You are correct. With the powder screen you can use loose powder. Fill the compact and then place the screen on top of the powder. It should keep tidy in your bag then.

This is great info! I always wondered what the screen was for, now I may have to snatch one up next time I'm out and find a nice one since there will be no pressure to make pressed powder to fill it. Do you notice if you have issues with the powder sifting out into your purse even though the lid is closed when using loose powder?

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
This is great info! I always wondered what the screen was for, now I may have to snatch one up next time I'm out and find a nice one since there will be no pressure to make pressed powder to fill it. Do you notice if you have issues with the powder sifting out into your purse even though the lid is closed when using loose powder?

Not really Jane. I did have a compact years ago that didn't close correctly and it did leak. It didn't bother me too much. The scent of Coyty Airspun made my handbag smell nice..LOL I just took my largest compact on vacation and it traveled really well. When you are thinking about buying a vintage compact, make sure the screen is included. If you are Ebay-ing and they don't show the interior of the compact, make sure and ask the seller to send/show you pics of the interior and ask if the screen is included. I've been thinking about trying to make my own. If I succeed, I'll let you ladies know.

Heather

Practically Family
The combination of a screen and a puff that fits the compact well *should* be enough to keep the powder in place.

I still test-drive new ones inside a zip-lock bag, though. If I can carry it around all day with minimal powder inside the bag, I know I've got a decent screen/puff combo and ditch the zip-lock. Better to have powder all over the inside of the plastic bag than inside your purse!

That's a good idea about the test drive. I'll def be trying that when I get my first compact!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran