Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your dance pics and vids

Trickeration

Practically Family
Okay, I don't know how to post the video the way Matt Deckard did, but here's a clip of mine, Root's, and Deckard's friends, Benny and Heather at last nights fundraiser for Nikki. This is from the jam session that started around the end of the night. By the way, the guy playing clarinet is Nikki's boyfriend Wolf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lDAG91ZNQ

PS. AtomicBlonde. You guys look great. Keep up the dancing. Trix

Trickeration

Practically Family
Pretty cool, eh? Benny is going to be my dance partner in a new dance group we're starting. We'll be working directly with our big band, the Esquires (playing in the background).

And here's another one for you. This Amber and Jofflyn. Both teach swing and other golden era dances and they lead the Bobbysox Brigade swing team, the number #2 swing dance team in the nation. Amber also sings with our big band and sometimes with our combo.

Oh and when Matt Deckard posts what he filmed of me and Wild Root, it won't be QUITE like this :rolleyes: .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Q0yG6cB7A

Trickeration

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
And who is the number one swing dance team in the nation? The Hollywood Hornets?

Yep. The Hollywood Hornets. And my friend Nikki was on the Memoires team that took 4th. L.A. swing rules!

ITG- Those two are really smooth. Love the last 2 aerials. Natalie placed first in one of the contests at the championships, too. Would be nice if she were in a vintage-y dress or wide-legged pants, though :rolleyes: :) .

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Trickeration said:
Would be nice if she were in a vintage-y dress or wide-legged pants, though :rolleyes: :) .

I thought the same thing. They could be figure skaters, gymnasts, pep squad, pom pons, almost ballroom, etc. They're totally talented, but the moves, for me, lose something when not accompanied by period dress.

All great dancers...uh, I won't be doing any of that this fall :eek:

Trickeration

Practically Family
I took a lesson or two in basic East Coast Swing, and one in basic Lindy Hop. Just the before a band, free lesson, kind. After that, I just learned on the dancefloor. The girl, or 'follow' has a bit of an advantage. We can learn a lot just by dancing with a lot of different partners. We just have to learn how to follow.

And as for aerials, you should really be accomplished on the ground before even trying them. It takes time to learn them safely and correctly, and you should only do them with someone you've practiced with. Plus, they're really only supposed to be done in jam sessions and performance, not on the social dancefloor. Those are just general etiquette/courtesy and safety rules. Because even if you and your partner know what you're doing, you can never be sure those around you are aware of what you're doing. Someone may step right into where you were going to land :eek: . Plus, since you need room for aerials, it can be considered rude to monopolized the floor space.

Anyway, I've been dancing for about 5 years, mostly learning as I go. I have one aerials partner that I perform with, and have about 6 moves I'm comfortable with. I'll start working with Benny soon. It'll be like starting from scratch, because I'll have to get used to his timing and feel, plus he has a few different aerials that I'm dying to learn :) .

For you beginners, don't worry. It's not hard to learn. Just start with the basics and have fun with it. When our band plays at a private party or non-swing club event, I sometimes teach a beginning lesson. Everyone is pretty happy dancing all night with just one basic set of steps. And I add a little if they're fast learners or ask how to do something. Just keep dancing and you'll get better and better. Besides. It's not about impressing the other dancers, it's about having fun. Trix :)

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Heh, heh.

This is my kinda dancin!

Lower! Lower!!!

limbo26uk.jpg

EC

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Here are some random pics. . .

THE_BREAKDOWN_DEC_1_05_033_P_.jpg

This is at the airliner. These pants are actually vintage, my belt was a bit loose and moving that quickly caused them to look that way...they are not sweats!

THE_BREAKDOWN_DEC_1_05_006_P_.jpg

At the now defunct "Lil' Pedro's" in Downtown LA.

013_9A.jpg

And last but not least, some rockin' out in the hotel room!
021_18A.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
resortes805 said:
Here are some random pics. . .

At the now defunct "Lil' Pedro's" in Downtown LA.

013_9A.jpg

Little Pedros is defunct? I went to something there less then a year ago...and heard about something else a few weeks back....you sure its defunct?

Granted, its become somewhat trendy and has other types of music events there...but I went and heard a jump blues/do wop band there and it was a Friday Rockabilly night type thing....

hmmmm goes to check...ok...their website hasnt been updated...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo