Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Dark Side - Shadow and Silhouette Portraits

navarre

Vendor
P1080613.jpg
I have been tempted to change my avatar to this one.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
My entry:

IMG_1101.jpg

the picture was taken by myself during August 2009, walking northwards somewhere on the Spanish "meseta" (I guess not far from Zamora), during my pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella (I walked some 500 km from Salamanca).

The hat? A wool felt Borsalino (didn't want to take one of my best hats...) which served me very well indeed, as the temperatures neared the upper 90's and the sun was constantly shining from the back. It also survived unscathed, and now sports a "camino" yellow arrow pin.

Lando

Practically Family
5776889241_e080e6a0cc_b.jpg

Aruba, Caves. Stetson Shantung Panama on what ended up being a very wet and windy day in a jeep with no top. Man, that hat held up well.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
The hat? A wool felt Borsalino (didn't want to take one of my best hats...) which served me very well indeed, as the temperatures neared the upper 90's and the sun was constantly shining from the back. It also survived unscathed, and now sports a "camino" yellow arrow pin.

A wool felt in 90+ degree heat?!? That's madness! :eeek:

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
A wool felt in 90+ degree heat?!? That's madness! :eeek:

Madness? Ahah...try NO hat under those circumstances, then please come back and tell me about it!
With the sun all day in my back, and wearing shorts, the sun would burn the back side of my legs, the softer skin in back of the knees. I soon had to change into (long) trousers to avoid that. The heat in fact proved not to be any problem, even though my hat did come handy to carry fresh water from a spring-fountain for a good splashing...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
A couple of first attempts at shadowboxing/chiaroscuro...
shadows004copy.jpg

shadow2copy.jpg

shadow1copy.jpg

imgp2875fcopy.jpg

Alright, maybe that last one is more light than dark, but that was actually from a few years ago, and I always thought there was something a little diabolical about it-- or maybe it's just me being pretentious! :)

Hi Alan, Great shot. Being a pianist, I have to ask off topic: what do you have in there? do you play?

Sorry Aureliano, missed your note. I played much more earlier in life, but I got back to it and took some lessons with my kids. Most recent efforts have involved Chopin nocturnes. The piano is a small NYC maker Otto Altenburg - late 19th c. probably, about 6 feet. I've had it since I was 13.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Aureliano, missed your note. I played much more earlier in life, but I got back to it and took some lessons with my kids. Most recent efforts have involved Chopin nocturnes. The piano is a small NYC maker Otto Altenburg - late 19th c. probably, about 6 feet. I've had it since I was 13.

I know Altenburgs, quite nice sound they have! Chopin, tell me about it. I'm learning my way through one of the Nocturnes right now, the one in C minor posthumous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21