Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Grotons!

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Looking over new hats, I saw the Groton by Stetson. I cannot find any post in Hats that covers this new item. The most comprehensive description is over at Dad's Hats:

• Material: 100% Genuine Fur Felt (Luxurious Soft Silk Finish)
  • Center Dent Crown: 4 1/2", Downturn-Brim: 2 1/2" x 2 1/4"
  • Grosgrain Hat-Band, Full Satin Lining, & Leather Sweatband
  • New Stetson Moderno Collection for 2009, Made in the USA
  • Cognac color shown above, also available in the Black color

Here is the image from Dad's:

dadshats_2080_9720802

I like the color and that band and the stitching on the welt makes it more informal than formal. Does anyone have this hat and can give us a review?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm liking the contrasting stitch and for once... just once, the logo on the ribbon. It's that ribbon color change that sorta makes it okay.

It's looks rugged and not stodgy or for business.

Though I'm sure it won't look good on me. I'll stick to my classic looks, and take them camping too.

Now how will it hold up?

carldelo

One Too Many
If it's as nice as the Brewster (also from the Moderno collection) then it should be a nice lid. I like the contrast stitching and the smallish brim - the bash isn't to my taste. I couldn't really deal with the silk finish of the Brewster, but there's no doubt that the felt was very nice. I wonder if it has the (very comfortable) fabric sweatband?

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
carldelo said:
I wonder if it has the (very comfortable) fabric sweatband?

Carodelo, the stats say that it is a leather sweat with satin liner. Can you describe the satin finish and give it a critique?

Garrett, some of us have large heads, small bank accounts, and wives -- which precludes winning anything worth wearing from OFAS.;)

carldelo

One Too Many
marvelgoose said:
Carodelo, the stats say that it is a leather sweat with satin liner. Can you describe the satin finish and give it a critique?

Garrett, some of us have large heads, small bank accounts, and wives -- which precludes winning anything worth wearing from OFAS.;)

I reviewed my Brewster on a recent thread - here it is:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45471
The second photo (taken with a flash) shows the silk finish fairly close to how it looks in daylight. It's a beautiful felt, more pliable than a Chatham, e.g., but it does have a shine to it, just so you know up front.

Garrett and Lefty, if you know of some secret cache of large-size vintage hats at reasonable prices, please spill it. If not, then be kind enough to leave us poor, deprived large-noggin types to our discussions of modern lids, without dangling the impossibility of sweet vintage treasures in front of us - it just makes us feel bad, eh?

carldelo

One Too Many
Ah yes, that takes me back to the Cavanagh NOS I found in size 7-5/8 in a Salvation Army in 1976, cost me 6 bits - still waiting for the lightning to strike again.... nope, not happening.

But back to the Groton, I agree that the contrast stitching and ribbon are a nice touch on this lid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ