Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Kim_B

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:
I must say, I love your hair! I did from the first time I saw your picture. How long is your hair? How do you have it cut? What do you do to get that?

My hair is rather long and I just can't deal with it and toss it into pony tails on most days. But I'd be willing to cut it in a heartbeat for such a cute look as yours!

Miss Dottie, I'm blushing! :eek: Thank you for your kind words!

My hair is just about shoulder length, and cut a little shorter in the back than the front. Since my hair is thick I have it razored a bit to give it a little more body and shape - it also helps when I'm curling it to give it a little more dimension. I'm super lazy when it comes to styling my hair; it's very thick and has a mind of it's own. This style works well wet or dry - I part my hair use barrettes or combs to hold it back. Nothing really fancy! When I pull it back, I twist it loosely and push it forward slightly which gives a tamed version of victory rolls. Then I use a curling iron (or if I'm really pressed for time, I'll use my hot air curling brush) and curl the ends under; the front/sides I'll curl forward a bit to create a little more finished look.

If you're good at pin curls and such, you could definitely do that the night before and then pin your hair back...I'm just inept at making my pin curls look good enough to be seen in public. :rolleyes:

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I've only managed this once (it looks better with a hat on), but since I'm still growing out my bangs and they are only down to my brows, it's pretty much impossible:

hathead2.jpg

My beehive/bouffant, which I don't really do anymore! :(

headache.jpg

What I usually do (not to exciting, just some curls & pins), and not a very good picture of it at that!:

dress2.jpg

Oh, Naama, you remind me of D'arcy from the Smashing Pumpkins (if you know who she is). She was my idol growing up! So pretty.

Kim_B

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
I've only managed this once (it looks better with a hat on), but since I'm still growing out my bangs and they are only down to my brows, it's pretty much impossible:

hathead2.jpg

Oh, Naama, you remind me of D'arcy from the Smashing Pumpkins (if you know who she is). She was my idol growing up! So pretty.

1) I love this! You look smashing, dahlink! :)

2) Thank you for pointing that out...I was racking my brain trying to think of who she reminded me of!! :eusa_doh:

Grace

Vendor
OMG! Darcy was totally my idol, too. I loved her. And Billy, too, of course. ;)

Ugh my bangs are growing out now, and I can't stand them! They are either swept to the side, or in a pathetic little pomp.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:
My hair is just about shoulder length, and cut a little shorter in the back than the front. Since my hair is thick I have it razored a bit to give it a little more body and shape - it also helps when I'm curling it to give it a little more dimension. I'm super lazy when it comes to styling my hair; it's very thick and has a mind of it's own. This style works well wet or dry - I part my hair use barrettes or combs to hold it back. Nothing really fancy! When I pull it back, I twist it loosely and push it forward slightly which gives a tamed version of victory rolls. Then I use a curling iron (or if I'm really pressed for time, I'll use my hot air curling brush) and curl the ends under; the front/sides I'll curl forward a bit to create a little more finished look.

If you're good at pin curls and such, you could definitely do that the night before and then pin your hair back...I'm just inept at making my pin curls look good enough to be seen in public. :rolleyes:

Kim, my hair is just like yours (but without the great color- I'm jealous of that! :D ) and you've given me hope! I thought a vintage style was beyond my ability. I'm horrible at pin curls and it takes forever with thick hair! But I think I could manage what you described. It looks very 30s-early 40s for those of us with mid-length hair. Thank you!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Grace said:
OMG! Darcy was totally my idol, too. I loved her. And Billy, too, of course. ;)

Ugh my bangs are growing out now, and I can't stand them! They are either swept to the side, or in a pathetic little pomp.
I hate the process of growing out bangs! I too am waiting for them to get to a certain length to where they'll actually DO something!:rolleyes: barretts and hair clips have been my best friends lately!:p

pigeon toe

One Too Many
thebadmamajama said:
You ladies are LOVELY!

Pigeon Toe, can you describe how you got that 'do (the pic in the yellow?)

Merci bien!

Sure thing! I have bangs that are a bit below my eyebrows, so I had to improvise a bit. I basically did a side part, and took the piece of the bigger side I wanted to roll and teased the part that would be on the inside. I have really thick hair (and a lot of it), so I don't have to tease too much. Then I just roll it like a pin curl, do some strategic bobby pinning and shape it with some hairspray. For my bangs I had to do some crazy swooping and shellacking with hairspray.

Not a very good tutorial, but here's a nice one: http://community.livejournal.com/vintage_hair/284225.html, however this girl doesn't roll the hair in on itself, instead she leaves a "tail". I believe the authentic way to do it is to roll everything in. That's the look I prefer anyway, and it stays in better because the hair supports itself.

Naama

Practically Family
I had no idea who this D'arcy is, but I asked my sister (big pumpkins fan) and she also said that she sees some resemblance.... So, I guess it's a compliment, so thank you ;)
Everyone has such great hair dos! Share more pictures! I just love to look at all those pretty girls! :D

Naama

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
n569295014_47762_4995.jpg

You can't see it very clearly in this pic (the bottom is curled) but I do top rolls quite a lot with a flower for special occasions. I haven't got any good ones at all of my just down all over but curled do, but I have some not so great ones where I'm wearing a snood! The roll kind of flopped in this one.

n569295014_37014_9529.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pigeon toe said:
Sure thing! I have bangs that are a bit below my eyebrows, so I had to improvise a bit. I basically did a side part, and took the piece of the bigger side I wanted to roll and teased the part that would be on the inside. I have really thick hair (and a lot of it), so I don't have to tease too much. Then I just roll it like a pin curl, do some strategic bobby pinning and shape it with some hairspray. For my bangs I had to do some crazy swooping and shellacking with hairspray.

Not a very good tutorial, but here's a nice one: http://community.livejournal.com/vintage_hair/284225.html, however this girl doesn't roll the hair in on itself, instead she leaves a "tail". I believe the authentic way to do it is to roll everything in. That's the look I prefer anyway, and it stays in better because the hair supports itself.

Pigeon Toe, I think you and I have similar hair, I wear my hair like that a lot too, but your directions are great! Thanks so much for posting that link, it's wonderful. And, the directions are in words I can understand, unlike some of the other directions for hair I get from other sites and salon books. Thank you:)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I have a ton of thick hair too--I just did it according to your directions and it's wonderful! THANK YOU! :D!! Too bad I'm such an old fashioned gal that I still don't have a digital camera to share it..:rolleyes:

LOVE the rolls Fleur de Guerre!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was just re-reading this thread, for I needed that live journal link posted. I realized that a lot of us do the side victory roll.

I have thin textured hair, but I have a lot of it. Due to Rheumatoid arthritis, my dexterity in my hands isn't that great. The other day I was getting frustrated trying to get my hair wrapped around my finger to get the roll in. So, I went back to my old victory roll method, which takes a little longer for it involves some "heavy equipment" but it created such a perfect roll I was quite pleased, and now won't do them any other way.

Anyway, I thought I would try to explain what I did. I have a feeling you ladies probably already know about this trick. It does take a little more time, but for me it's easier on the hands and the roll stays in place perfectly, without tons of spray.
OK this is what I've been doing: I use a 1 1/2 inch barrel curling iron heated up to the highest level. I take the section of my hair that I want to roll and I spray it at the roots so when rolled around the iron it will be high enough on my head. I then roll the hair around the iron, I spray it and let it heat up for about 2 minutes. Try your best to gently slide the curling iron out of the hair. You should have a nice big victory roll, and all you have to do is put a few pins in to keep it in place along with a spray of hair spray.
My rolls have been so sturdy that I fell asleep last night without a hair net on, when I woke up this morning, my hair was still in place! Just needed to fix a few loose strands.
I hope this helps. One day i'll take a picture of the completed look:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart