Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

G

GoldLeaf

You look lovely, Amber! Very well done! You look like your have shorter hair, like mine. You give me hope! So pretty!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
Lovely, Amber! Do you have the sides pulled back with combs of barrettes?

Well gee, Daisy, I'm not sure! Perhaps you can try an experiment and report back to us. lol
HeHe! The silly thing is, I think I'd know where to get perm papers and haven't the slightest idea as to wear to find rolling papers! It just sounded funny, at least in my head it did[huh]

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
Lovely, Amber! Do you have the sides pulled back with combs of barrettes?

Well gee, Daisy, I'm not sure! Perhaps you can try an experiment and report back to us. lol

Oh thankyou :) I have combs in today but have a multitude of clips/pins/slides ready for action. You all look so fabulous, its such an inspiration

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
HeHe! The silly thing is, I think I'd know where to get perm papers and haven't the slightest idea as to wear to find rolling papers! It just sounded funny, at least in my head it did[huh]

Oh, it gave me a good laugh Daisy! :)

mysterygal--I just saw the photo you included in this thread. Your hair is looking really great, and I like the color you have it right now as well. :)

wowandflutter

New in Town
waves !

you gals look so amazing, all of you !

i've been lurking so much, but i was absolutely so excited by this post,
i decided i had to contribute.

basically, i use wave clamps every two-three days, or after every hairwashing & dont use product. they stay fairly well with my wavy hair & are exceptionally easy.
these are really old from when i had red/black hair. its a more natural brown now.

[/url]
wavee3.jpg

heartshape.jpg

wavee.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm in Phoenix right now. I hear the swing dance scene is pretty good in Tucson though; there are a few dancers that come up here on a fairly regular basis.

You should post a photo showing how you set your hair sometime; I am sure the ladies here would appreciate it. :)

Mojito

One Too Many
All these wonderful styles make me fell terribly inadequate and rather neglectful! I'm afraid I'm a true flapper regarding short hair - once I made the decision to bob my hair, I've never looked back as it's so low-maintenance. I need to wash my hair at least daily because of my workouts, and up to two or three times a day in summer after I've been to the beach (although if I'm doing that I'll often just rinse the salt out and put some conditioner in). I often get up at 4.45 am and don't get home until 8.00 or so on weekdays, so just being able to put a bit of product in it and run a comb through it, letting it dry naturally, is a blessing.

Wowandflutter, your styles are so gorgeous with your short hair I'm tempted to give something like that a try!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Fleur, I used your tutorial and my hair turned out just lovely today!

Unfortunately, it didn't last as long as I wanted too. What hairspray do you ladies use to keep your curls in, but without them being crunchy or frizzy? When I used to wear my hair in a bouffant everyday I would use Aquanet, but that stuff is too harsh for curls and makes it frizzy, but every other hairspray I have won't hold and give definition for the whole day.

And I'm still at a loss for how anyone is able to keep a head of curls lasting more than a day. I have a satin sleeping cap and that does nothing to keep my curls in shape, they are total frizz when I wake up!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Flutter you look like you literally stepped right out of the past. Your hair is PERFECT! Love it!

Amber your locks turned out wonderful! I don't know if I believe it was a first try, hehe!

Mystery, cute pic! Ok, you remind me of Christina Applegate there in the face, when she was young.

Thanks Daisy... :eek:fftopic: If you have the red jumb dress done, beware that pattern will turn out like a maternity dress if not altered. I'll talk to you privately about it if you like!

Polka Dot, your bob looks great, you just miss your long locks! Throw some hot rollers in it and it will be cute.. or fingerwaves. Take some time to try some new things.. don't just throw it in a pony and wait for it to grow, lol.. been there, done that.....

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

I use two different sprays, a light spray for all over control and a heavier spray for finishing the look.
The light spray I use is Shaper Zero G. I spray this all over my my head while my hair is in curlers and then spray again when I take the curlers out. This is considered a light weight spray. It will give you just enough hold without taking away from the bounce or causing your hair to get crunchy. Redken also makes a nice lighter weight spray, but I can't remember the name of it.
For the finished product I use Shaper by Sebastian. This is a heavier spray, although it's not as heavy as some other products I've used, that's why I like it. I spray vigorously with this once my hair is set and styled. I hold the can at least 3 inches from my head, I find this avoids the crunchies.
After everything is set, I lightly mist a finishing spray, some sort of anti-frizz spray to make my hair shiny and to control any flyaways I might have. I personally like the anti-frizz serum by Citreshine, but Frizz Eaze makes a good product as well.

May I ask, when you set your hair are you doing a dry or a wet set? My hair seems to be like yours, I get a nice curl from my curlers, but by the end of the day my hair seems to flop. However I have had much luck with wet sets and use either sponge rollers or stix, although the sponge rollers are more comfortable to sleep in. Anyway, if you are doing a wet set, how much setting lotion are you using? I've been using a little more than the bottle recommends (I know this isn't good for my hair, but my hair died a long time ago!). I'm getting much better curls since I started doing this. I used to use a light leave in conditioner to help with the health of my hair, but it turns out this was actually weighing my hair down and one of the reasons why my curls didn't last. Now, before I spray my hair with setting lotion mixture I use a curl enhancing mousse in my wet hair. I've also been using a curl enhancing shampoo and conditioner. I actually believe these products are working. Bumble and Bumble makes a great curling lotion that I use in addition to the setting lotion mixture, and my curls are now lasting through the night. I usually just have to do a few touch ups with the curling iron or hot rollers (carusoe steam rollers are a miracle to me, they make the greatest curls in a short amount of time) in the morning.

It took me about a year to get my curl routine down. I have know problem doing pin curls or setting my hair in different types of curlers. But I had a huge problem getting the curls to stay in. I wouldn't end up with a head of frizz in the morning, but my hair would just be poker straight by the end of the day. For me, the products I have mentioned have really helped.
I love the curls I get from the Carusoe steam rollers, they are so bouncy and cute. But hot sets just don't last all that long for me, even if I spray the living daylights out of it. Although Faith mentioned Aqua Net, I'm thinking of all of the Aqua Net I used in the 80's. That stuff helped my hair defy gravity!!:) I might just go get a bottle of that to use when I'm in a hurry and just doing a quick hot set.
Good Luck! Believe me, I feel your frustration:(

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I second the Sebastion Shaper, I always used the Shaper Plus. The only reason I don't use it now is that I can't stand the smell of it after so many years in the salon, and they quit carrying it at my supply house. Next to that was Energy Lock by Graham Webb.. which they have also quit carrying, :mad:
So, now I'm on a mission to find a spray I like, not fun. This can be life or death behind the chair, lol..

I swear that Aqua Net is NOT the same as it was when I was in highschool!! I've tried it a few times recently and it did not hold well at all.. I was like, this stuff used to be superglue!! So frustrating!

For those with heavy or indredibly straight hair, I would really suggest getting it razored a bit. This creates shorter interior hairs for the other hairs to "mold" around. When it's all one length, (even layered, but blunt), it just won't have as much flexibility.

Also be sure not to wrap hair with too much tension when doing sponge rollers, this can cause frizziness too. The inside of of the curl with be so much tighter than the outside that the ends can tend to look fish-hooked even tho they aren't.

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

Yes, it is Shaper Plus that I use as a finisher.
Many different brands have different "holds". These holds are usually determined by number. When you go to buy your hairspray make sure you buy both a light hold and a firm hold. I think the lower the number the lighter the hold, but most brands also explain the type of hold on the can.

I recently got my hair razored to help my curls, and it did work. I added longer layers that are razored at the edges and my curls are much nicer now. The good thing about the longer layers is that when I do wear my hair straight, they blend right in. So the addition of the layers didn't change my straight style (if I had any to begin with:)) at all. They have made curling my hair a bit easier too and they aren't weighted down like they were when my hair was all one length. Also, I get much nicer styles when I wear my hair curly. When it was all one length it was harder to style and I often ended up looking like a mop head:eek:

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Daisy, I usually just use hot rollers because those work fine for me (or a curling iron), because my hair responds to heat really well. But the convenience of just waking up in the morning and taking my hair out of the curlers and being ready to go (plus there's less damage being done) is why I like doing wet sets. I use sponge rollers usually, and once I used those "pillow" rollers that you twist. I actually think I like those better (they gave me a rag curl type look that was very short, curly and bouncy, pretty cute and lasted all day), but sometimes the look is a little too Clara Bow, you know?!

What kind of setting lotion do you use? By "using more" do you mean putting more parts setting lotion than water, or just dousing more on your hair? I honestly feel setting lotion has no effect on my hair! Is the curl enhancing shampoo & conditioner you use Bumble & Bumble too? I've always wondered if those things work!

Ugh! I'm setting my hair again tonight and am going to try using a different hairspray. Wish me luck!!!

G

GoldLeaf

jitterbugdoll said:
You should post a photo showing how you set your hair sometime; I am sure the ladies here would appreciate it. :)

Yes, indeed! Your hair is lovely, and I would appreciate understanding how to use the clamps, as my hair is short, too. So very, very cute!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
wowandflutter said:
you gals look so amazing, all of you !

i've been lurking so much, but i was absolutely so excited by this post,
i decided i had to contribute.

basically, i use wave clamps every two-three days, or after every hairwashing & dont use product. they stay fairly well with my wavy hair & are exceptionally easy.
these are really old from when i had red/black hair. its a more natural brown now.

[/url]
wavee3.jpg

heartshape.jpg

wavee.jpg

WOW!
Can you PLEASE tell me how you do hair like that and what wave clamps look like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart