Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Yixuan

New in Town
Thanks Odalique! My brother once told me that if a guy doesnt like my style it means we probably wont click anyway so I probably shouldnt care. Haha!

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
you look gorgeous Esme :D your hair style is very similar to mine but my layers continue down. Thankyou! Youve given me faith I can do rolls with the layers!
Only one thing is missing from your lovely hair..blue streaks! ;)

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
ok, I usually have zero time to do vintage hair, I'm usually extremely busy at work or sleeping but, I have had a couple of times that I did something, any tips on quick vintage hair? Anyway, here are some photos of what I've done so far!

l_574728cfb83d47b1af8fa5ce5272f04d.jpg

l_8c303a203a6189c20e272c17c4af859f.jpg

l_6caba13137d7cb930e9d8fecd8802143.jpg

and to imagine I started out looking like a boy a few years ago!!
l_6a076be54af75c4052f29251dd1eea0c.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEESH! haha... I have more pics but I can't find em now.

I WISH I could get my hair like this:
l_d9349e3060eafa73601ab407cdbed750.jpg

that's my grandma ... sighs!!!!!

Yixuan

New in Town
jtcarrey- I absolutely love that piano picture! and the authentic vintage picture of your granny. I think she didnt even have to set her hair to get that effect. Is her hair naturally curly? it looks like it, and all she had to do is run some mousse to that the effect. I cannot believe that girl in golden brown hair is you!
I think vintage hair takes some time at the beginning when you get the hang of it things just gets much faster! Do you do pincurls? I think that is the fastest way to get those curls and its much more comfortable to sleep in.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Yixuan said:
jtcarrey- I absolutely love that piano picture! and the authentic vintage picture of your granny. I think she didnt even have to set her hair to get that effect. Is her hair naturally curly? it looks like it, and all she had to do is run some mousse to that the effect. I cannot believe that girl in golden brown hair is you!
I think vintage hair takes some time at the beginning when you get the hang of it things just gets much faster! Do you do pincurls? I think that is the fastest way to get those curls and its much more comfortable to sleep in.

ahh no, my grandma's hair was stick straight, I need to know her secrets, wish she was still around!!

I haven't tried pin curls, one thing I've never been good with is my hair, I always get so frustrated, my hair is naturally thin and wavy but I have about a pound of hair on my head, so it looks super super thick... I hate dealing with my hair...

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Esme said:
Very nice, JT. You are tooo cute!

So, can someone point me to some directions on uploading pictures?
TIA.

Thank you :)

To post pics, just right click on the pic, pick properties and copy that link, then click the photo icon on this page (the yellow one with the mountain on it) and place the link there... hope that helps...

Esme

One of the Regulars
Okay, my first pictures, hope I can figure this out -

My attempt at Victory Rolls, hopefully they will get better as I go along.

The batteries in my camera are dead, so this is sitting in my dark study, trying to stay cool and taken with my webcam, so not the best quality --

Also, excuse no makeup!! Yikes, but the picture quality is probably so bad it doesn't make any difference, lol

3237547775_5fd4dbe128_o.jpg

3237547857_8188bb65b4_o.jpg

Before
3238388332_d3e1458a4b_o.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
DSC04701.jpg

Ladies, you all look lovely! Yixuan, I noted that besides looking like a doll, you also seem to live in a dollhouse! I love your wallpaper, lampshade and sofa. Cute, cute, cute!

Esme

One of the Regulars
Oh, Yixuan, I just realized your wallpaper and lampshade match!! How cute!!
I was too busy admiring your skin and cute hair to look at the background! LOL.lol

Yixuan

New in Town
jtcarrey said:
ahh no, my grandma's hair was stick straight, I need to know her secrets, wish she was still around!!

I haven't tried pin curls, one thing I've never been good with is my hair, I always get so frustrated, my hair is naturally thin and wavy but I have about a pound of hair on my head, so it looks super super thick... I hate dealing with my hair...

Oh trust me when I say that I have 93850945 pounds of hair on my head. it is so thick hairdressers dread it when they have to perm my hair . It is good that you already have natural waves in your hair, that makes everything easier! I was very inspired by Johanna's pincurls in the other thread i must say it doesnt take alot of effort if you dont do extremely small curls. I tried just about the size that Johanna did (maybe even bigger cuz im SO lazy, which i think is just inappropriate for any self respecting vintage hair enthusiasts!)
I think rollers are fast to do but it just hurts to sleep in them. I tried pincurls again yesterday and they work just as well. I think you should hop over to johanna's thread now and try pincurls!! Now!! If your hair is the length as in the black and white piano picture, its just nice! my hair is too long now :(

Esme- Thank you esme! That is very flattering but unfortunately I so DO NOT have nice skin. Its the wonders of Make up! :) i was googling to find out what victory rolls are....(sorry, my vocab for vintage hair is very limited!) the pictures you posted a a bit too dark. Id be back to see if can be of any help! :D
Oh by the way, the lampshade matches because i took leftover wallpaper and stuck it onto an old lampshade! haha

Cherry Lips- Thank you ! That is not a sofa though i wish i had one in my room (too packed! that is a standard 6''2 grand piano behind me and my bed right in front, that is the headboard that I covered with a matching comforter hee hee)

edit to say:Are you referring to these http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/nastee_trick/wilde28.jpg esme?

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Yixuan said:
Oh trust me when I say that I have 93850945 pounds of hair on my head. it is so thick hairdressers dread it when they have to perm my hair . It is good that you already have natural waves in your hair, that makes everything easier! I was very inspired by Johanna's pincurls in the other thread i must say it doesnt take alot of effort if you dont do extremely small curls. I tried just about the size that Johanna did (maybe even bigger cuz im SO lazy, which i think is just inappropriate for any self respecting vintage hair enthusiasts!)
I think rollers are fast to do but it just hurts to sleep in them. I tried pincurls again yesterday and they work just as well. I think you should hop over to johanna's thread now and try pincurls!! Now!! If your hair is the length as in the black and white piano picture, its just nice! my hair is too long now :(

Well I have a long night today so I'll practice hair styles tonight, I've been fearful of trying victory rolls but I think I will try tonight! I love Ginger Rogers, I need to watch all her movies again and start doing her hairstyles. oh and someone posted this pic on another topic, gosh I want this look!!

http://flickr.com/photos/vintagevogue/3048838639/in/pool-57488425@N00

Speaking of needing to do things, I need to start sewing my dress, but that's for another topic! :eek:fftopic: lol

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
btw gals, does anyone know some awesome tips for finger waves? I slept in those wave clips.. very painful, woke up with a migraine, wait I didn't even sleep lol anyway, am I doing it wrong? it left large crimps in my hair and I didn't have waves... I just kept combing and combing and combing and yea... so if anyone has tips, great! Also my hair frizzes cuz I've bleached it so many times in the past, anyway to keep it from frizzing when you comb out curls?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
jtcarrey said:
btw gals, does anyone know some awesome tips for finger waves? I slept in those wave clips.. very painful, woke up with a migraine, wait I didn't even sleep lol anyway, am I doing it wrong? it left large crimps in my hair and I didn't have waves... I just kept combing and combing and combing and yea... so if anyone has tips, great! Also my hair frizzes cuz I've bleached it so many times in the past, anyway to keep it from frizzing when you comb out curls?

To prevent frizz, make sure your not rolling your curls too tight or too small. Try using end papers and a finishing product like pomade or gloss to fight frizz.
As for fingerwaves, good luck. The only way I've ever been able to get the look is by actually doing them with a comb and setting lotion. Too much effort for me.

Esme

One of the Regulars
I think fingerwaves are hard to do on yourself, you can't get at just the right angle or something. Much easier to do on someone else.

I have to ask a question and I want you all to be brutally honest with me.

My girls said not to get cat's eye glasses as they will make me look old. I have always has a rule to avoid any fashion where I was alive the first time it was around as that seems a good rule to not just look out of fashion. I was born in 1958, so I am 50. You all can see my picture in my avatar. What do you think? I am making my final decision sooooon. By Monday, so weigh in ladies.
I know it would be easier with pictures of the glasses. I will see what I can do.

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
Inky said:
Okay, you guys just keep inspiring me to try harder, so here's last weekends do

3236311201_1a8577ccdd.jpg

3236311509_b2fd40bfc0.jpg

Achieved with hot rollers, thermal spray and a bit of Layrite pomade. I STILL get flyaways - but my hair is so coarse, I have always had that problem.

I can't wait til the back is long enough for that middy u-shape!!

inky!!!!! im lovin the hair,and the labret.hehe i don't feel right i have 3 liprings,my mum would send me to a nunery if she found out....but hey its different countries for christ sake!

Inky

One Too Many
sweatyspaghetti said:
inky!!!!! im lovin the hair,and the labret.hehe i don't feel right i have 3 liprings,my mum would send me to a nunery if she found out....but hey its different countries for christ sake!

Thanks sweatyspaghetti, i am glad you like my hair, i think it's the most fun I've had with hair in YEARS! Hey i'm almost 49 years old and my mom still can't stand my piercings and she's had a couple decades to get used to them ;)

Esme

One of the Regulars
Ah, phooey on 'em. I went ahead and ordered the golden tortoiseshell cat's eyes. What do kids know?
I had my husband with me and said the cat's eyes looked good. He has excellent taste and would soooo tell me if they looked crap. They are not too extreme and all the ladies in the shop thought they looked cool.
Should be here in about two weeks.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Wow...so my regular set kinda went way too curly tonight. I think I rolled the curlers too tight so I went for more of a 30's look tonight.
lounge061.jpg

lounge062.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay