Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
wave.jpg

I finally pulled off the horizontal wave pin-curl set :) YAY!!!! :eusa_clap

Toni

New in Town
Anneloes said:
Toni: I used pink foam rollers, I think they are about 3/4 of an inch? Or maybe an inch.. I don't have them on hand now and I'm kind of bad at guessing, haha, sorry! I put them in quite randomly, I separated my hair in 3 layers (horizontally) and went around my head for each layer. Does that make sense? I rolled them all horizontally and downwards, towards my head. I used 18.

They stayed in pretty well! I didn't brush them as much for fear of ruining them completely, knowing how badly my hair holds a curl. Unfortunately we had a lot of snow here today, and I had to walk through it for about an hour back and forth, and got soaked (even with my head covered and most of my hair under my coat). So now the curls are gone lol I still had a pretty nice slight curl this morning after sleeping with a scarf. The curls staying a day and a half or so was exceptional enough for my hair, usually nothing sticks more than a couple of hours.

Anneloes, that does make sense and I'm definitely going to get some sponge rollers about an inch in size I think!

Sorry another question though - did you use end papers and how tightly did you wrap your hair around the roller? Also how did you avoid getting the dent from the clip bit?! Sorry, more than one question there! I just want to make sure I do it right so it turns out as well as yours did!!

That's great your curls lasted so long, I hope next time, without the snow, they last even longer!! :)

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
WOW BONES! I am still wroking on mine! Yours is adorable!

I did mine for my Festivus party this friday, it's very much like Lucy..I can pull off fluff bangs really well with my round face...

14236_1226990248113_1629776159_5-1.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
Tried a new set last night. Had been watching "A League of Their Own" and noticed some of the extras in the "fight" scene with this set.

1221.jpg

12211.jpg

I like it. Weird weather here so it's falling a bit, but a little product I think would fix that right up. MIGHT be on it's way to becoming my new regular set.

ETA: Wow. Weird angle.. my face looks so long...

mentha

Familiar Face
Well, I had another try with my hotsticks last Saturday. I think I have basically found the style that really fits me, but I have more practise and learning to do ;)

1 word: YIKES!
yikes.jpg

Brushing helped :)
much_better.jpg

Now if anyone has tips for getting the ends curled the right way, I'd be very grateful. They always fly away and end up twisted and folded and curled every which way, resulting in a big bunch of unmanageable poof at the bottom :(
edit: suddenly I realize I had planned to dye my hair again today... Hopefully I can find the time tomorrow...

Lenore

Practically Family
mentha said:
Now if anyone has tips for getting the ends curled the right way, I'd be very grateful. They always fly away and end up twisted and folded and curled every which way, resulting in a big bunch of unmanageable poof at the bottom :(

I would suggest end wraps like they use for perms. I get mine at Sally's Beauty really inexpensively (Sally's Brand Mesh End Wraps) and they do the trick well. Your much better pic is much better. You look great! :)

Lenore

Practically Family
Second round of the day.

Hair getting fuzzy from the heater, and I couldn't stand it in my face any longer. 4 pins later, this is what I've got.

CameraFX102.jpg

CameraFX03.jpg

CameraFX04.jpg

Anneloes

New in Town
Toni said:
Anneloes, that does make sense and I'm definitely going to get some sponge rollers about an inch in size I think!

Sorry another question though - did you use end papers and how tightly did you wrap your hair around the roller? Also how did you avoid getting the dent from the clip bit?! Sorry, more than one question there! I just want to make sure I do it right so it turns out as well as yours did!!

That's great your curls lasted so long, I hope next time, without the snow, they last even longer!! :)

I did not use end papers except on one strand that had a lot of layers and wouldn't stay put (I used tissue). I rolled them tight enough to keep the rollers in but tried not to do it too tightly because I read that would ruin the curls. I did not consciously avoid getting a dent lol Two strands or so were a little square, but that went away with brushing.

Anneloes

New in Town
My first attempt with hot sticks!

So, this morning I tried using hot sticks for the first time. It worked out pretty well! I was a little desperate while taking them out because quite some hairs got tangled around the rubbery sticks, but I got them all out without cutting hair off lol The back didn't curl well unfortunately, so after brushing I had some straight strands. I redid them with the sticks, and now it looks pretty good for a first try if I say so myself ;)
Here is another load of pictures for lack of good lighting in my house:

photoon20091222at12352.jpg

photoon20091222at12372.jpg

photoon20091222at12374.jpg

photoon20091222at12382.jpg

This looks like a giant poofy mess, but I didn't entirely brush out the second set here. It's less bad in person ;) You can still see some uncurled strands, now that I look at the picture..

The hair on my temples has been shaved off, by the way, which is why it always looks like I pinned back my hair a little. Imagine how much hair I had before cutting those parts off!

Anneloes

New in Town
By the way, what do you girls do with your hair while sleeping in-between sets? I can totally see my hair being a giant crows' nest when waking up tomorrow.. unfortunately I'm not sure if a hairnet would matter much. Do you put your hair in (random) pin curls for the night?

Lillemor

One Too Many
Anneloes said:
By the way, what do you girls do with your hair while sleeping in-between sets? I can totally see my hair being a giant crows' nest when waking up tomorrow.. unfortunately I'm not sure if a hairnet would matter much. Do you put your hair in (random) pin curls for the night?

I can only answer very generally and not in relation to any set style but I know from very recent (last night) experience that with enough product it's a flash to restyle it the next day.lol

However, I opted to wash, wash, condition, deep condition and then attempt a lower maintenace and more natural style today. I just love that I know that I have all these styling options now, not all of them are time consuming, or technically difficult, the cut works in a wash and go situation as well. Sorry, I just can't stop raving.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Anneloes said:

use a silk scarf, Honey. The slippery silk wont grab your curls and frizz them when you move your head on your pillow. It is what my mom used in the 60s to keep her curls fresh. ;) I do too.

Anneloes

New in Town
~Psycho Sue~ said:
use a silk scarf, Honey. The slippery silk wont grab your curls and frizz them when you move your head on your pillow. It is what my mom used in the 60s to keep her curls fresh. ;) I do too.

I do that now and then (with and without a lace net under it), but it just seems like my curls are getting all bunched up in the nape of my neck when I tie the scarf around my head, because my hair is quite long. Or is that precisely what should happen [huh] ?

Lenore

Practically Family
Anneloes said:
I do that now and then (with and without a lace net under it), but it just seems like my curls are getting all bunched up in the nape of my neck when I tie the scarf around my head, because my hair is quite long. Or is that precisely what should happen [huh] ?

I tend to pile my hair on top of my head and then put the scarf on. Curls seem to stay quite well. I would take a picture of today's second day set, but my hubby was a little amorous this morning....and consequently, my hair isn't how I'd like it! I'm not complaining though...lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
Anneloes said:

I roughly pin curl it up, in some resemblance to the original set and spritz it with a little water to reactivate the curling product. Then I sleep in a hairnet on a silk pillowcase....and hope for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner