Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Saying hello...

I'm new here and absolutely in love with all the styles and tips here. Where have you been all my life?! I decided to introduce myself on this thread with a couple of photos if I can figure out how to post them. In case you can't tell, I'm a newbie in retro styles. But after lurking here the better part of yesterday, I got what was supposed to be a middy cut last night and this is my first attempt at styling it. (I carried the 1940s hairstyles Turudich book with me.) My hair is fine and naturally curly (between 3b and 3c class curls). The longest pieces were cut at 9" even though you can't tell by looking.

An attempt to photograph the back

Air-dried and natural right after the middy cut

Long: Curling iron curls

Long: Air-dried and natural

Using a smoothing cream for frizz, I pin curled the bangs and sides, and used sponge rollers in back this morning. Dried it using a diffuser and took the pins out at work sitting at my desk. It was still damp at the crown and roots in a few places. :( These photos are what it looked like after I raked my fingers through the curls. I used a little Layrite pomade to smooth things out, but maybe I'm using it wrong 'coz it seems to straighten the hair and frizz up the ends whenever I use it. I have much to learn, I know. Looking forward to learning!

Edited: Well drat...can't figure out how to show the images. Off to research.
Edited again: This was my first post - maybe as a newbie I'm limited?
Edited lastly: ok, 3rd time's the charm?

Last edited:

Nine

New in Town
Thank you ladies! I went through a huge phase of hating my hair in my youth, and straightened it to hell!
Hair for today, lazy again as I was cooking pavlova and fudge all day!
Photo108.jpg

Clabbergirl, does the link have

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I did it!! Seems I was using the wrong Flickr-generated link. Problem fixed and solution learned.

Antje, I brushed out a dried set last night that still came out frizzy. I used setting lotion with it and it already had a smoothing cream in. Seems like whenever I touch my hair after it's dry, I get frizz. (Not the place to discuss here, just following up, and thank you!)

SheBear74

Practically Family
I did a lot of editing just for fun. This is me with my two boys :)

aha.jpg

This is me and my body guard lol

aba.jpg

Last edited:

SheBear74

Practically Family
It worked Clabbergirl, maybe if you looked on Youtube for Lisafreemontstreet, she has a lot of great tutorials on brushing out pincurls.
Good luck with it.

I second watching that tutorial. The first couple times I tried to do pin curls I freaked because I looked like a frizzy q-tip lol That tutorial really helped and I realized I wasn't brushing it right. Now I love how they come out. :D

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I like Lisa Freemont's videos, but so far I must be doing something wrong with the brushing out part, at least with a wet set. When I use hot rollers, it's much easier to get smoother curls, but they quickly turn loose and kinda wavy.

Shebear, if I had straight hair I would so have Betty bangs like you.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Thank you so much SheBear74, I'm almost always wearing flowers, it's becoming something essential on my I guess

I am so happy that my hair is finally looking how I want it so I can wear the flowers in my hair again. It's amazing how something as simple as a flower in your hair can look so outstanding. I think the pink and purple flowers look amazing with your red hair! Your do's are always inspiring :)

coble

A-List Customer
I'm not really sure what I was trying to achieve here. aha

19wi82.jpg

But my friend dyed my hair a kind of auburn colour recently. I'm new here, i've been stalking this forum for ages ! It's just wonderful.

absolutely stunning photo, this definately gives me an idea for a new art piece, what an inspirational photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk