Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Miss Retro Chic

New in Town
Rag curls are very easy, especially for longer hair. My daughter has long hair and I did rag curls on her last week. Turned out very pretty, but she has so much hair it wasn't completely dry in the morning.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone! I finally got around to making a video tutorial on the famous Betty Grable up do! Check out my blog for the videos. :) Vintage Starlet Here's a photo of the outcome.

M2U00044_0001.jpg

cecil

A-List Customer
Fingerwave spam

Hellooooooo loungers!!! Some of you might remember me, some might not. i've been away for about a year as i didn't really have proper access to the internet other than my phone. but i'm back at a job with internet access now so I'm hoping to be back on more often!!

Anyway, since i was last around i've gone blonde and cut my hair off. I've been fiddling with fingerwaves recently, these are my first two attempts. Sorry about the cruddy instagram photos but you get the idea.

First attempt: Not so hot, but i left them in anyway.

38be92a65b1a4960ab896326672b3c47_7.jpg

Close up:
11a983e6606944e09292d40590373871_7.jpg

Second attempt. Getting there!

Still wet. Blasting away with my '30s hairdryer...yes it still works but not as good as my Parlux! lol The waves aren't properly parallel and I haven't tried continuing them around to the back yet, I just wanted to practise the finger movements etc. Ignore the decidedly non-vintage hoodie and iphone lol
a8a47815b5524d5a8dcb2aa9248a8fee_7.jpg

Dry!! Again, I haven't finished them properly around the back. I'll get there! I'm actually wearing makeup in these photos too, thank goodness :eek:

3e973a7875f6472f980ed50bfd0a68c9_7.jpg

From the side...boy, I did a crappy job of my eyeliner that day lol

40e2374182994a9faeddd433db3c903e_7.jpg

wheeee!

- ces

Marla

A-List Customer
Yes, Cecil, your fingerwaves are to be admired! Did you mold them with your fingers or with the help of styling tools?

cecil

A-List Customer
:D thanks guys!

I made them with my fingers, setting lotion, a comb and wave clips. I've got a handy-dandy fabric drying hood that attaches to any hairdryer, it's brilliant. I'm guessing that any beauty store would have them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1WBf8ABgiw

That's the best tutorial, in my opinion. There are heaps of others, my advice is pick the ones that are filmed in beauty shops or cosmetology schools rather than the ones made by "celebrity stylists" or other budding vintage gals, purely because (from what I can gather) beauty shops and cosmetology schools are the only places where you'll see proper fingerwaves being set nowadays. I basically watched the above tutorial plus a couple others over and over again then just gave it a whirl.

The only thing nobody really mentions is combing out. I just combed the waves very carefully once the hair was bone dry then sprayed with a little hairspray.

stardust

New in Town
Cecil it's good to see you back! I used to be called cupcake around here.
I went blonde and cut my hair off in the last year too, my finger wave attempts were nothing on yours though - they look beautiful.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Cecil, fabulous waves, really nicely defined. I tried them a couple of times earlier this year but didn't manage to get them as well defined as yours, I think I was a bit impatient though. Stupidly, I then had a short fringe cut and now can't do them properly - and it also ruins my victory rolls - hurry up and grow, dammit! :eusa_doh:

K.McG

New in Town
Guh Jezebel your faux bangs are lovely!!! I need all sorts of practice, mine never turn out that great.

I found setting lotion a bit back and i finally used it last night in a set, this is how it turned out
Photo653.jpg

Photo654-1.jpg

the back wasn't fully dry when I brushed it out....and it is also kind of rainy and icky out, but I did end up with a nice Veronica Lake looking wave in the front which I wasn't expecting.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Jezebel_Amazon, you look so stunning!! Your faux bangs are so immaculate, I love it!

K.McG, very pretty as well; you totally have the Veronica Lake peek-a-boo wave going on, so glamorous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21