Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Here's the finished look after I've taken the hot sticks out and finger brushed it to separate the curls and then I'll use a soft bristle boar brush.

DSCN0375.JPG

Its a little curlier today because the sticks were in my hair a little longer than usual while I was taking pictures. Everybody's hair is different and some may need to leave the hot sticks in until completely cool. The important thing is not to touch the hair until its completely cool once you remove the hot sticks.

Here's a couple of side views. Its more wavy on one side today. I actually have thinner hair on my right side than my left and I'm always trying to get my hairstyle more symmetrical.

DSCN0379.JPG

DSCN0380.JPG

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Here's a sketch of my hair-do to give you a rough idea.
I think some gals may want to use more curlers/sticks if their hair is thick or harder to curl (smaller sections curl easier). I haven't done this as a cold set and I'm curious to see what it would look like. I don't know if the sponge rollers give a different type of curl than the hot sticks or not.

hairdo_directions.jpg

And here's a nifty trick with the hot sticks that I discovered.
To get a slight wave in the hair, take the hot stick and place it under the hair close to the root (or wherever you want the wave to start), wrap the hair around the stick one or two times (if your is longer maybe more) and then clip the hair right under the stick to hold it. This gives a slight wave without curling the ends.

DSCN0370.JPG

Oh, I forgot to add that if you've not used the hot sticks before, be careful until you get used to them, they can get very hot in the middle. I've learned where the heat is at and to work quickly. Sometimes I'll put a makeup sponge or whatever between the hotstick and my head if it gets a little hot until it cools a bit. Its worked well when my ears got a little warm where the stick was touching it. I use the Conair Hot Sticks brand and they can be found in a lot of stores.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Great pics Bonnie, thanks! I'm gonna get me some sticks! This is how I roll my hair when doing hot rollers or wet set, but I cannot find hot rollers that work well nowadays. I'll give these a shot!

How many sticks come in a case?

Nikki

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Pretty Faythe... Thank you so much. :)

Miss Hell Belle... Hehehe Thanks... somehow he managed to keep his composure. ;)

SarahB... Believe me... thick hair can be just as big of a pain... especially when trying to achieve a cute pageboy. lol

Neecerie... Ah yes... I have run out of rollers a few times. lol

Goldleaf... hehehe But, but, but I am innocent! Hahahaha I liked being brunette for like a day. :( It was the worst year of my life, and although I know it is only hair color... I was not happy as a brunette at all. Hehehe i don't know how I pull them all off... I suppose I am... yeah... I am looking for a witty comment to put here, but it just isn't happening! bwhahahaha

Daisy... How long are you looking to grow your hair? Try prenatal pills. They will make your hair grow like wildfire. Oh and your nails too!

OHairas... Hehehe This was actually my second date with him and it was just lovely. He took me to this art deco influenced restaurant. Mind you, it wasn't art deco repro, it was just slightly influenced in it's design. He is so cute, he thought with my love of vintage I would enjoy this place (I did). He thought it was 50's inspired... but I promptly corrected him on that mistake... sheesh! Hahahah I am kidding, but yeah, I let him know the interior was deco influenced. Hehehe. The place was something fancy and dinner was yummy. I had chicken in an apricot sauce. I don't much care for sweet on meat, so I avoided the sauce all I could, but I still tried it! Which is HUGE for me. lol We then went to a little joint he likes to hang out at and we chatted. It was neat, when he went to the restroom, this chap walked up to me to say hello... he recognized me from my performance with Deke Dickerson in April! Hahaha Yay! Anyway, it was a nice night and when I get back from Exotic World, we are going to have a movie night together. FUN FUN FUN!!

Bonnie Jean... next week I am going to try your diagram and see how it looks on longer hair. Probably not as cute as yours, but hopefully somewhat!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Wow wow wow Bonnie Jean! I'm very impressed. What a great tutorial. Maybe I'll do my hair this weekend and break out my old hot sticks. The last time I tried them, we didn't get along.

Normally I use molecular curlers.Does anyone else? I haven't heard much mention of them on the board.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Pigeon Toe: GORGEOUS. I would love to have hair like that.

Bonnie Jean: Thanks for taking the time to make such a thorough tutorial!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Great hair gals!

PT, your hairstyle is the one I'm usually aiming for.
And I love your blue blouse in the picture!! It's gorgeous! Is it vintage or reproduction??

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
Just more of the same with me and my Hot Sticks! But I really like how it came out this time:

2007-06-01010.jpg

2007-06-01007.jpg
Please tell me how to arrange hot sticks to get that hair do!
Could you do a little drawing like Bonnie maybe?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My picture is pretty stupid, but I hope it helps! It's a really simple hairdo.

First of all, I'm growing out bangs that are about nose length right now. To get the height in the front I usually just do a side part, wet my bangs and comb them up and back, they kind of naturally do that sort of wave thing. I don't know how it would work on longer hair, but you could always use volumizing mousse and a clip to hold it in place while it dries.

With the hot sticks, after I've parted my hair, I roll under and up with bigger (purple, for me) sticks. I kind of separate a top layer and a bottom layer to my hair, and use the pink (small) for the under layers. I keep them horizontal. I do it on the other side too, and usually just have enough hair for 2 in the back, instead of 4. I got this tip from the Dita von Teese messageboards, apparently this is how she does her hair with Hot Sticks.

hairz.gif

I get varying results depending on how tightly I roll, how hot they are, how long I leave them in for and how I brush them out. But it's easy and fast, and when it's 6 AM and I'm getting ready for class, that's good enough for me!

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Okay, I finally garnered up enough courage to post a pic of the short hair

whoa171el4.jpg

That was my first go at sleeping in the foam rollers lol

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lolita, he sounds like a fun lad to hang with for a while! ;)

Oh Pij~ I LOVE your new pics! You look so glamorous, so different with the bangs grown out. Your eyes stand out more! I agree, great dress!

Stace, if you wanna try the darker I highly suggest Redken Shades. It will wash out a bit with each shampoo.. last a few months. As long as you don't keep overlaping it, it will rinse out completely. I would avoid any other product, esp. those that say they rinse out or are temporary at the stores. You just never know. And shades is super shiney! PM me if interested! Your hair looks awesome too, you're a doll!

You both look so incredibly retro.

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
By the way, I am so envious of those of you who can have such a deep side part. I have a cowlic right in front and can't part to far over!
Nikki

roots66

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
I get varying results depending on how tightly I roll, how hot they are, how long I leave them in for and how I brush them out. But it's easy and fast, and when it's 6 AM and I'm getting ready for class, that's good enough for me!

Thanks Pigeontoe. Do you use any sort of product before, during, or after the set?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran