Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
So cute Zaika--I have the frizzy problem too. I want to try using curling papers (but I need to get out and get some first!).

Also, I can really see your resemblance to your grandma!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
zaika said:
you really think i resemble my grandmother? that's the best compliment ever! :)

Oh totally!! And I second the end papers... Just curious, did you have pins into separate the straight part from the curly? ( in the back.)

lolli

New in Town
zaika said:
This here is my first try at curls! I used sponge curlers because I just don't get how to do pin curls. I really like how the back turned out...but I totally ruined the front. It was really really frizzy and tight, so I took a wet brush (I only used styling cream to set...no setting lotion...stupid!) to it...and the curl was gone. :( I made do, though. You can't really see it well w/ the camera phone picture...but I'll upload better ones tonight.
I'm still really excited about how it turned out!

Very pretty! I wish I had long hair!

zaika

One Too Many
Imoldfashioned and Red....what are curling papers? If they make the hair easier to manage...get me some!

Red, I just didn't curl the hair all the way to the scalp...I probably only curled 2/3 of the way...I'm not sure because I didn't use a mirror! :D lol.

Lolli-Thank you! I've actually been wanting to cut my hair...but with the curls...I think I'll leave it be. :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
If I'm not mistaken, curling papaers are the same as end papers.. you can find them at any Sally's or Beauty supply store, and occasionally you will find them in the drugstores with the OTC perm solutions.

They are very handy and the only way I can get my ends to curl properly. I roll about 1/2 way up as well.

zaika

One Too Many
oh, red...i'm sorry! i didn't understand what you were asking...sheesh...yes, i did use pins to separate the straight part from the curls. :eek:
i will definitely have to get end papers then, because those ends just didn't want to behave.

epr25

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
So cute Zaika--I have the frizzy problem too. I want to try using curling papers (but I need to get out and get some first!).

Also, I can really see your resemblance to your grandma!

I have black hair so I am not sure how this would work for other hair colors? But to calm the frizz and make it easier to brush through I use oil sheen. I like the pantene version. It's light and smells nice. At our Walgreens it is in the ethnic hair section. Not sure bout everywhere else. Unless I would just go crazy and spray and spray it never weighs my hair down and doesn't make it look greasy. Spray with some distance though not right up close to the hair. It's kind of like a fog effect, if that makes sense. Oh or like sparying perfume in the air and walking through it. But it doesn't make mine way easier to comb through. But I roll mine tight to make it stay longer.

I would totaly recomend end papers. They work and it makes rolling allot easier. Especially if you are just starting out.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
you really think i resemble my grandmother? that's the best compliment ever! :)

Oh goodness yes!! Esp. if your bangs swooped up like hers!!
Yeah, never put water on your curls, you learned that lesson eh? Try a bit of vo5 oil, Silk Therapy, or other suggestions here. If you're *really* in a bind and your curls are just tooooo frizzy and tight, and you have NOTHING else to use, try a tiny dab of hand lotion emulsified in your hand very evenly and run through your hair and brush. Form curls around your fingers with brush if need be.
Nikki

zaika

One Too Many
epr25-would any old oil sheen work? or is pantene the best? i haven't had a chance to visit walgreens...but the place i did go to had different brands. and end papers are calling my name! heh

ohairas-thank you so much! :) i think i'm going to start growing my bangs out and see if i can do more with the front. although...i'm slightly attached to them. any ideas how to work around it? i can't wait until friday...i'm going to try your suggestions.

$ally

One Too Many
I have a dress that would match that hat perfectly...
LolitaHaze said:
IM000894.jpg

anabolina

A-List Customer
Hmmm, sounds like I gotta use those end papers. note to self...

So here's the rolls I made today. Since these were the first hair rolls I've tried and I only had 15 min to work on them, I'm pretty happy with them. Hopefully I'll be able to be neater next time.

firstrolls2.jpg

firstrolls1.jpg

Since my hair is not even shoulder length and layered, I used rats made from panty hose. Tomorow I think I'll try something with a little more height at the top.

zaika

One Too Many
anabolina-funny but i did my hair the same way...for the first time. LOL. only yours looks SO cute! and i like the color of your hair. :)

leaette

A-List Customer
leaette said:
anabolina: great job! if you use pincurls first, you'll get better results. makes straight hair MUCH easier to do stuff like that.

ok, i just reread what i typed and i think i didn't communicate very well. sorry if you took that wrongly. i didn't mean that your hair looked badly. i should have said something like: try using pincurls next time. it makes doing rolls much much easier and it gives your hair what i like to call the "meat" of the rolls and it's so much easier to style.
my hair texture and straightness is similar to yours and i've found for me personally, it really helps.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
very cute ana! I've been wanting to try this one. I got a quick how to from rubyred when I went to her salon but I still haven't made it work completely. From what I can tell you rolled both sides from front to back, where the two sides would meet in the middle of the back of the head? is that right?
I was shown a variation of this where you can start at one side of the head and roll the hair all the way around and end in a roll once you work your way back to the front. I can do the tucking and rolling but have a hard time making the end roll look presentable. Anyways, great job!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm so happy I finally have something to post in here! Usually I do the same curls every single day, but today I finally branched out a bit.

I just posted this to the vintagehair community, so sorry if you have to see it twice! Anyway, this is my "accidental" pageboy. I didn't even mean to do it, it just happened! It's not perfect, but close enough for me:

hair006.jpg

hair005.jpg

hair004.jpg

BonnieJean

Practically Family
That's a real "happy accident" PT! Very cute!
Will you be able to do it again? My "happy accidents" are usually just that--once in a lifetime! How did you get that nice wave on the sides?

zaika

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
I'm so happy I finally have something to post in here! Usually I do the same curls every single day, but today I finally branched out a bit.

I just posted this to the vintagehair community, so sorry if you have to see it twice! Anyway, this is my "accidental" pageboy. I didn't even mean to do it, it just happened! It's not perfect, but close enough for me:

hair006.jpg

hair005.jpg

hair004.jpg

You look lovely! The hair is a perfect accident. :) Wish I could borrow it for a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925