Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
Swinggal - thanks! Do you thinksomething similar could be done with normal hair combs?

Smuterella, they probably wouldn't work quite as well, but I bet it would be possible to swing something with the following products. Most of them wouldn't hold as well as combs, though, and would need to be pinned in.

SBS-424101
- sorry, I just can't get this to display correctly. Basically, it's a banana clip. I bet you could take one of these apart and use each half as a long, curved comb.

Would maybe work, but would have to be pinned into place.
il_430xN.120181739.jpg

These products from the Vermont Country Store would also likely work. Sorry, they use Flash so I can't link to images.

3 1/4" long combs - http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...1:100:1000:10070:100080/I/f45391?evar3=BROWSE

Volumizing combs (like Bump-Its). These are the best shape of any of the options, as they're curved to your head just like the water wavers. They may be too tall, but I can see the possibility of gently cutting through them to remove the top section of the comb. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...1:100:1000:10070:100090/I/f54031?evar3=BROWSE

I've also seen regular, metal headbands with tines on them. This would also be a great option.
31RyyeB53OL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Saw this on Amazon. I wonder if the comb portion could be removed?
41LlUSMpoPL._SS360_.jpg

JACKPOT! 5.25" wide combs, package of 72 for $28 on amazon.
51L8mCyDJjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
me.jpg

my hairs too long to do anything nice with anymore. I think this is just a pincurl set. I can't even do it like this anymore, thankfully I'm cutting it off to my shoulders tomorrow!

Sugar Mamie

New in Town
fingerwaves

After making pin curls for a while (some times better succeeding than others) i decided to have a shot at fingerwaves.

Here's how it came out. I found they're very easy to maintain, and they lasted for 3 days looking pretty cool, even when they started to loosen up a bit. I wasn't able to control the loose hair afterwards though.

I was pretty happy with it and found it to be fast to make but not so easy to sleep on.

(please excuse the lack of make-up and ugly looking photos)

Photo46.jpg

Photo42.jpg

Photo44.jpg

Octavia

Familiar Face
Oh my gosh - Sugar Mamie, those are some of the best finger waves I've ever seen! Completely gorgeous! How did you achieve them? I've been practicing my pin curls for awhile but have yet to try finger waves.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Antje - I know I don't have the length - but I am taking a copy of this to my hairdresser for my wedding hair inspiration. It is simply lovely!

Sugar Mamie

New in Town
Thank you everyone!

Thank you all you gorgeous ladies!
I guess they turned out pretty good. I actually made these in less time than pin curls. I wasn't quite sure of what to do with the back though. I just pin curled it but wasn't so crazy about the way it looks.

I used these vintage hair clips (
il_430xN26136617.jpg
) and realized they made a huge difference!

Octavia said:
Oh my gosh - Sugar Mamie, those are some of the best finger waves I've ever seen! Completely gorgeous! How did you achieve them? I've been practicing my pin curls for awhile but have yet to try finger waves.

Lenore

Practically Family
BoPeep said:
You look older without the Betty bangs, Lenore.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing!?

Thank you. Sometimes it's nice to hear that I still look pretty young, but when I'm pushing 30 hearing that I look 19 isn't something that always makes me happy! I notice when I do my hair I "look my age" as opposed to when I leave it straight and do minimal makeup. That usually gets me asked if my mum and dad are at home...

My eyebrows need to be cleaned up a bit today, but thanks. They're one of my favorite features. :eek:

Antje

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
Antje - I know I don't have the length - but I am taking a copy of this to my hairdresser for my wedding hair inspiration. It is simply lovely!

Oh wow, I'm so flattered, thank you for thinking it is so lovely.
I'm very curious how it would look on you.

Lenore

Practically Family
Lady Pearl said:
Anyone have a youtube tutorial for this look:

http://newyorkcharityblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/rita_hayworth5.jpg

Everyones hairdos are so lovely...! :)
I have to say, I don't use electrical goods on my hair so any tutorial minus electrical curlers etc would be great (oh and I don't have any fancy combs either, just the simple stuff :p )

Pearl, that look can be achieved with pin curls. Had I a video camera I'd show you how. Maybe that's what I should ask for come this next birthday....

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Smuterella, they probably wouldn't work quite as well, but I bet it would be possible to swing something with the following products. Most of them wouldn't hold as well as combs, though, and would need to be pinned in.

Thanks for researching all this KittyT - that's really sweet of you!

Smuterella

One Too Many
SayCici said:
I don't have her length, but how could one approximate Jean Arthur's 'do?:

jean-arthur.jpg

arthur-jean.jpg

I think thats a fairly simple pincurl set, set low, keeping the crown flat with the curls directed forwards. I'd say the key here is that the curls are fairly large and very brushed out, with the fringe brushed over the hand to get that fairly flat shape. You can really shape the curls with your fingers after brushing to get that more defined look and then just spray it all into place.

It looks a bit like my usual hair do and thats how I'd do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24