Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

MissHannah

One Too Many
Ok, I'm just posting this to show how BAD I am at setting my own hair!!!

set2.jpg

I'm going to let it dry and see how it turns out anyway though...

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:

set2.jpg

Hope all goes well. Be sure to post a picture of the after. :)

CassD

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:

set2.jpg

Good luck! I'm looking forward to the pics. You have such beautiful hair.

MissHannah

One Too Many
It actually turned out ok! A bit more Shirley Temple than Lana Turner but still kind of cute. I photographed it quickly before I left for work so I'll post pics later. I can't believe how short my hair is now - just below ear level!

Miss Hannah - the wave clips you have there, are they the ones with little teeth on them? I thought I'd found what I needed in Sallys but they have teeth. Won't they muck up my waves? [huh]

I attempted fingerwaves this morning, I'm not posting pics because they were very messy! I need a little more practice but I could definately see there is potential!!! woo!!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
It actually turned out ok! A bit more Shirley Temple than Lana Turner but still kind of cute.

lol I feel the same way sometimes! I've found with the right type of brush, serum and some coaxing into shape, those 'girly curls' can be tamed. I'm sure it looks fabulous though, as you always do!

MissHannah

One Too Many
dollydaydream said:
Miss Hannah - the wave clips you have there, are they the ones with little teeth on them? I thought I'd found what I needed in Sallys but they have teeth. Won't they muck up my waves? [huh]

I attempted fingerwaves this morning, I'm not posting pics because they were very messy! I need a little more practice but I could definately see there is potential!!! woo!!

They have rounded teeth rather than sharp ones, they hold really well but they've created ridges more than waves. I think a soft brush would sor tthat out though.

MissHannah

One Too Many
SarahLouise said:
lol I feel the same way sometimes! I've found with the right type of brush, serum and some coaxing into shape, those 'girly curls' can be tamed. I'm sure it looks fabulous though, as you always do!

You're right - I really do need to invest in a soft bristle brush I think. I should also use end papers so I don't get so much frizz at the ends.

CassD

One of the Regulars
Well, ladies, I thought I'd post a picture to show the fruit of your tips! Thanks so much for the helpful hints!
1940BW.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Just a hint with the Lady Jayne/Sallys wave clips, if you are getting a ridge then you are clipping in the wrong place.
Try and let your hair damp/towel dry-ish and then see which way your hair goes. It is more a question of clipping and supporting the wave, rather than the ridge.
Im terrible at explaining...

DSC00139.jpg

I actually find those long sectioning clips quite good..support the whole length of the wave...

MissHannah

One Too Many
OK, here are the results:

Before brushing:
Hair220208G.jpg

After brushing:
Hair220208D.jpg

After further teasing and spraying:
Hair220208C.jpg

After work this evening with some more teasing and a bit of curling tong work:
Hair220208A.jpg

Hair220208I.jpg

One of the ridges:
Hair220208F.jpg

The wave clips (help with how to use these please!):
8f77_1.jpg

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
You're right - I really do need to invest in a soft bristle brush I think. I should also use end papers so I don't get so much frizz at the ends.

I use a Denman bristle brush and honestly don't know what I did without it. I never use it for the pageboy style but it's fantastic for fluffy curly styles and waves. A handy tip to prevent frizzy ends is to wet them with water, it really does work! Your hair looks great by the way. Those clips look painful to sleep in!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah... I don't know if you saw my other posts on waveclips... I posted it somewhere, can't remember though... the thing about wave clips is that they are for setting a wave, not creating one, so you will first have to create the wave you want with your fingers and comb and then set the clip in place. This allows the wave to dry in the shape it is meant to. I am not sure if you already knew this or now and did it that way already, but if not, I hope it helps! :)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thanks Lolita... I did try to do it that way, but I could only get such a small amount of hair into the clip, I think that's why I got the ridges. I do kind of like the ridges, but it certainly wasn't what i was aiming for!!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
OK, here are the results:
QUOTE]

You're curls came out cute!

I can't offer help with the ridge...I have't had time to play with my wave clips yet. They are the same style as yours.

And by the way, your eyeliner looks great. I am always playing with different lines and angles...and although it come out good...I always like everyone elses better.lol

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Miss Hannah, Your curls are gorgeous!!

Those wave clips, (jaws) are really just like the other ladies said, for helping to "Set" the wave. For example, in the picture below, I made the actual wave by fingerwaving slightly with water and a little setting lotion. This girl had some natural wave in her hair already, so I followed her wave pattern. Then when I got it this way, I put those wave clips (jaws) right where it looks like the ridges already are, and let her dry that way. But to use these kind of clips otherwise, only make a not so pretty ridge in the hair, and definitely do not actually "wave" the hair. You'll want to look for some of those metal Mervin waving clips that look like a torture device. I think a few pages back, there is a pic of EPR25 and OHAIRAS using them. Those will actually put a wave into your hair. They push the hair back and forward at the same time, where as these jaw types push the hair together. Oh, and also, if you were able to create a wave with the iron, or curlers, and you wanted to set and spray it so it will hold, you could use the jaw wave clips to help hold/set it. They are great for that! :D

wave.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo