Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Smuterella

One Too Many
alexandra said:
Since we're displaying beehives!:

15mxr2v.jpg

140dd91.jpg

After a day out in the wind though, excuse the wispy bits.

gorgeous but where are the instructions oh beehived one?

Smuterella

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
Would renting a beehive wig be an option for you?

no, if I can't do it myself I won't do it at all.

I think i'm getting there now. curling my hair first seems to have helped no end.

thanks

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
no, if I can't do it myself I won't do it at all.

I think i'm getting there now. curling my hair first seems to have helped no end.

thanks

Try BIG rollers, when you take them out you need to back comb like it's still the 80's and spray on a whole load of hairspray. What I've done in the past is leave a section of hair free at the front to comb over the all the back combed hair to give it a really smooth sleek finish and then pin it in at the back. You'd look super cute with a beehive!

One friend from long ago managed to find a hairdresser in the Midlands who was still able to do a beehive, she had been hairdressing for about 35 years. It was almost architectural in its brilliancy and lasted for over a week. THATS that amount of hairspray and backcombing that they used to employ with this baby!

I'm booked to do a beehive for a girlfriend at work in the next couple of weeks. She has the most amazingly thick black hair and a superb fringe, so I'm hoping it turns out well. I'll see if she'll let me post some pics.

Smuterella

One Too Many
i'm going to have another go tonight. i have a doughnut ring hair rat thingy to try and oomph it a bit.

I think my hair is just a little too fine and short for anything impressive without one.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
OMG!!!! I LOVE Mad Men. I can't wait until the next season starts. The hair is lovely, the costumes are stunning. My hair is about the length of Joan's. I think I need to try to recreate the hair she wears in the green dress. (or do you think it's long and pulled up in the back?)

MissHannah

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
I am MENTAL about Joan too, I love everything that she wears. I can't believe that I could ever wear anything as high waisted as she does though as she has an uber short waist. What a terrific shape......proper girl in my book!

Joan is totally my favourite - she's wonderfully bitchy and slutty. Do you think they pad her out a bit or do you think she really is that shape?! I'd kill to be that curvy.

Naama

Practically Family
ShortClara said:
:eek:fftopic: I am so crazy about the gorgeous redhead - I love that she has an actual shape and doesn't look like she's about to die of malnutrition. And she is so friggin' sexy!

Oh! I just thought, while I saw those pictures 'wow a TVshow withouth anorexic shaped women!' I want to see that show but we don't have it here :(

I also would like to try on a beehive, but I'm afraid that people might think I'm trying to look like Amy Whinehouse.....

Naama

texasgirl

One Too Many
Smuterella-
Don't wash your hair, dirty is better for up-dos. Curl your hair first- probably med size rollers since it's not too long. Then tease the crap out of it, with a small-toothed comb. Pin up in sections, instead or gathering it all at once. smooth the top strands only to keep the height. Have fun :)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Joan is totally my favourite - she's wonderfully bitchy and slutty. Do you think they pad her out a bit or do you think she really is that shape?! I'd kill to be that curvy.

Isn't she bl**dy magnificent!! I think that she is definitely that curvy it's probably more of a case of what they pull in rather than pad out that give her such a Monroe shape ;) I suspect that there is rather a lot of scaffolding hard at work underneath those glorious rags! Whatever it is it works wouldn't you say!

roots66

One of the Regulars
AllaboutEve said:
(Re: Joan) Isn't she bl**dy magnificent!! I think that she is definitely that curvy it's probably more of a case of what they pull in rather than pad out that give her such a Monroe shape ;) I suspect that there is rather a lot of scaffolding hard at work underneath those glorious rags! Whatever it is it works wouldn't you say!

Joan's dangerous curves are definitely drool-worthy, but I think my favorite character, hair and clothes-wise at least, is the uber-elegant Rachel Menken (the department-store owner, played by Maggie Siff). I hope she shows up regularly in season 2, but I just checked IMDB and so far the only definite sighting listed is for episode 1.

MissHannah

One Too Many
roots66 said:
Joan's dangerous curves are definitely drool-worthy, but I think my favorite character, hair and clothes-wise at least, is the uber-elegant Rachel Menken (the department-store owner, played by Maggie Siff). I hope she shows up regularly in season 2, but I just checked IMDB and so far the only definite sighting listed is for episode 1.

Oh yes, she is ace!

alexandra

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
gorgeous but where are the instructions oh beehived one?

Oh it's quite simple really and also quite horrible:

I backcomb all my hair except for a thin circle all the way around. I tease it so much that it's like a giant rats nest on the top of my head, from the ends all the way down to the roots. Then I straighten the outside hair with a straightener or a curling iron and comb it over top of the giant ugly mass.

I comb the sides back. Sometimes I tuck them in a sort of french roll thing and sometimes I wrap the hair all around. Then I hairspray it.

It's not a pretty process but it looks awesome.

fleur

One of the Regulars
This was taken at Christmas would you believe. Its the most recent photgraph I have of me with my hair done.

Two rolls and fleur's hair tutorial and those curls stayed for a good week and my hair is difficult to curl at the best of times. Its a good 3 inches longer than that now and I am thinking of having it cut back up again

6.jpg

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I'm quite a fan of the beehive as it seems to suit me. I have a picture I think...

What I do, smuts, is:

- curl it in rollers

- take it one small section at a time (like twice the size of a pin curl section) back comb THE BASE, near the scalp, with a fine toothed comb. Spray lots of hairspray on this tiny section, then use a blowdryer on said tiny section

- do this all over until you have fright wig - omitting front section of hair or hear near part that is 'on top' so all teased mess is hidden by layer of normal hair, if you catch my drift

-use a natural bristle brush to smooth top of fright wig into style

-spray on as much hairspray as you can handle (see 1 min 20 and 2 min 50 here )

-spray on a little more for good measure

-avoid naked flames

"I have a dream when I close my eyes... I wish my hair was 10 feet high" :)

This photo was taken three days after I beehived my hair for a night out. Bit skanky winehouse, I know, but is shows how well the method lasts...

Photo237.jpg

lyburnum

Practically Family
Yesterdays hair:

IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg

I ended up wearing the flower in the middle of my rolls when I went out. This was before work, so I put a hair net over my curls to hold them in place during the day. However I really liked how it looked so I kept it in all evening :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner