Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Tatum said:
Hi ladies! I finally got my hair to do something worth posting....

What are everyone's thoughts? I was TRYING to get a small roll in the front, but my hair has its own ideas sometimes....

p7302011.jpg

<3
Tatum

Lovely job! If you want to tighten up that roll, try using a cold curling iron. Wrap the hair as if you were going to curl it, and gently slide it off the barrel, then pin in place. A cold curling iron is a marvelously easy way to form rolls. It's helpful if the barrel is the ceramic coated type...makes it a bit easier to slip off and doesn't grab at the hair like a chrome barrel.

Welcome to the Lounge, bye the bye!

Honey Doll

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
dollydaydream said:
Oh yes!! I loved my pink bit, I loved how it looked in rolls, have been considering going back to it too

PICT0082.jpg

I think it would look great! I love pink hair. I also love the piercings yay!!!
Yay for piercings! Oh my.. how cheesy did that sound?!

Tatum

Practically Family
Smuterella, thank you!

Laura Chase, thanks to you too... :D You sound like my husband! He was pretty impressed.

Honey Doll, thanks for the welcome. I have tried the cold curling iron trick (I have been reading everyone's tips and tricks for weeks now) and that one doesn't seem to work with my hair, not sure why (maybe just clumsy). If I can get the shape the I want it right off the bat, with either a wet or hot set, it seems to be OK, but this one was just a little odd.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
It takes a while. I'm currently spoting my natural colour (or close to it, the ends are all a reddish tint which I've been growing out about 6 months) and I think it's the first time in literally 10 years. I have always had a 'phobia' of looking 'boring' and to me that meant natural colour! But it's grown (ho ho) on me.

And of course you are still rocking the pink which looks fab and saves you from too much 'normality'! :D

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
Oh I haven't been here in ages

I've been a bad neglectful Lounger, but here was my last pin curl set:

l_4070694240351bdd301047aa357261a5.jpg

l_e0a5c9b466011de07ce0bceab24ab891.jpg

My hair was super long for ages and I got it cut recently.
Although I haven't 'finished it' (i.e. I will eventually get it cut into a middy), I was impatient to get back into pincurling!

texasgirl

One Too Many
SimplySarah said:
Hello. This is my first post on this forum, though I've been enjoying reading all of these threads.

If any of you have been watching AMC's Mad Men, you will know that the early sixties hair, makeup, and clothes are to die for. It is as much fun observing the style as it is following the plot!

That brings me to my question, and I hope it's OK posting it here rather than starting a new thread. I'd like to recreate two hair styles from the show, and I'd appreciate if anyone had tips or could point me toward a website that has a how-to. The two hair styles:

fdvxug.jpg

and

2nj9elf.jpg

This one appears to be sort of a beehive or bouffant type hair-do.

Thanks so much for the help!

If you watch the episodes, sometimes Betty, the blonde, wears her hair up in the set. So you can see how she does it. I'll try to bring the DVD to work and screen capture some pictures.

Joan's hair is longer actually- here's a picture of it down

Ep10_09_MG_1325_restrict_width_792.jpg

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
JessiLynn, your finger waves look great !!!

Tatum, so cute, is your hair naturally wavy/curly ?

Stephy Wilecat, what can I say !!! Just beautiful !!!

texasgirl, I recall her having a set and copying it, now I can't remember how it was done.

Tatum

Practically Family
Honey Doll, that is gorgeous! You're making me miss my long hair....

Hi Goldwyn! I actually have weird hair... it's fine and pretty straight in the front, and coarse and sort of curly in the back. (That might also explain the fact that the front is lighter, that is just from hanging out in the sun.) I do, however, have an almost textbook middy cut. I went all out.... lol!

Stephy, that looks absolutely awesome. I want to try that when mine grows out a bit!

Thanks Fleur, Lillemor and Cherry Lips!

Here's today's, I was feeling lazy last night and now that it's been a few hours, the back is falling out majorly. No pins, though... I'm kinda proud of that!

img_34661.jpg

img_3462.jpg

Honey Doll

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
Honey Doll, maybe you could post a tut of the up do? Or at least explain how you did it/ your technique? It would be very helpful :)

Sure-- I talked about it on the Le Sigh thread...

I do my set, run a comb from ear to ear and pin that to the side just to hold it, bend from the waist and brush from the nape of the neck to the top. Secure the back of the hair with a wide barrette, pull the sides up with combs. At that point, you can just start forming curls and pinning them down.

when I get some time, I'll do step by step pics. Its an easier do than might seem because you just really need some volume with the set rather than super-percise curls or wave.

I'll get some pics up.

Honey Doll

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
cherry lips said:
Honey Doll, maybe you could post a tut of the up do? Or at least explain how you did it/ your technique? It would be very helpful :)

Oh yes, please do!! I'd love to do something like that for tomorrow.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
KittyMao said:
Wow everyone looks sooo nice here! I'm a newbie to the whole golden era and would like to show my pictures of my do!

CIMG0249_.jpg

CIMG0259_.jpg

CIMG0254_BW.jpg

CIMG0257_BW.jpg

Tee hee!
:eek: Wow I wish that my first post had been as impressive as that!! You look amazing Kitty, and I definitely think you're in the Femme Fatale category here along with Darhling, Lolita et al.

Smokin' :eusa_clap

KittyMao

New in Town
Aw shucks!! :eek: Thanks AllaboutEve! I give all credit to this website for it's lovely people and their wisdom. I love this site! Now alls I need to do is look for some vintage clothing stores around here to really capture the look. I dress in a black strapless dress/skirt with a black see-through button blouse covered by an under bust PVC corset and matching pumps. I love black! It's my only good outfit! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot