Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Inky

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
3767360163_d1a054af1e_o.jpg

wow, Lolita, they are all three lovely but this one takes my breath away! love the makeup, hair, the tone of the photo, everything.

why oh why can I not get my victory rolls to look like yours instead of two toilet paper rolls on my head?

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
LisaFreemontSt said:
Not sure if you're asking me but I wanted to say that your natural wave is beautiful! Don't fight it. But if you want to do pincurls, I suggest continuing to practice and learning from each set. Try using setting lotion if you like...some people have great results. Follow a setting pattern...there are some great ones on this board. And if the setting lotion doesnt work for you, try just spraying them damp. That's all I do but my hair is a very different texture from yours. Also, you might try a simple 'putty' on the ends of each section which will help prevent any flyaways and would probably work well for you since you don't have super fine hair. :)

Thanks, Lisa! I will keep working with it. I need to watch more of your videos. :)

Sometimes I think my natural curl looks vintage enough (yes?), but I always admire some of the other styles that really need a set.

Vanessa

One Too Many
SweetieStarr said:
I don't think it was quite 12 hours, but it was pretty dry all the way through.

Since my hair is long, I wrapped each piece around itself twice, then pinned. They were not huge, but not very tight either.

Any dampness at all - if the hair is not completely 100% dry - will weigh down whatever curl you have and slowly pull it straight until the hair dries. I would try using a mostly damp, but not wet, state & adding in a little setting lotion or other curl-inducing product. Also, try for smaller pincurls next time that are evenly spaced - I usually do them no more than an 1.5" wide for a tighter longer lasting curl.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
SweetieStar... Thank you. I actually set those with perming rods. I did a cold set and slept on th erods over night. :)

Inky... Thanks so much. Funny you say that because I can't figure out how to get the knappy out of my hair! I can't get smooth polished rolls to save my life! Have you tried back combing your rolls? I don;t do that myself, but I hear that helps a lot of people.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
LolitaHaze said:
Hi Ladies
3854335726_d5ee51efe5_o.jpg

3859912721_63f7116907_o.jpg

wow the first i thought was actually a vintage photo, your pictures are breath taking and inspirational, but it dosen't help that you have the very color hair i want and can't have :/

(oh) and the third photo is just plane cute :) you are blessed with amazing photo shine.

Inky

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
Inky... Thanks so much. Funny you say that because I can't figure out how to get the knappy out of my hair! I can't get smooth polished rolls to save my life! Have you tried back combing your rolls? I don;t do that myself, but I hear that helps a lot of people.

We always desire what we can't have LOL I have tried backcombing and they turn out "okay" but not quite right. Or maybe the style does not suit me. Or maybe I just need more practice at rolls. I may try again this weekend with your inspiration! I think they turn out looking best when they have some "knappy" and some smoothness, not too smooth or they look so, i don't know, toilet paper roll is the best I can describe it. But i know you know what i mean!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
LolitaHaze, your photos are simply stunning. My first thought (after catching my breath from the delightful shock of that chair, the wardrobe, and the saturation of glamour) was Jean Harlow meets Judy Garland. :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Hestia said:
Aw, SayCici, what cute little forehead curls you have!

Here's today's do, a french twist with some combs on the sides.

3860286432_19ebdd42bc.jpg

3859491251_887e262dfc_m.jpg

Changed my shirt between the 2 photos because I discovered a massive tear under the arms of the first one! :( I'll try to salvage it later, I love that shirt!

That is so beautiful! I've always loved styles like that. I think they're so timeless and elegant. It's my aspiration to be able to do styles like that, chignons and variations on buns when my hair grows longer.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
SweetieStar... Thank you. I actually set those with perming rods. I did a cold set and slept on th erods over night. :)

You slept on perming rods?? Wow. How did that feel??:eusa_doh: haha!

Hestia

Familiar Face
Lillemor said:
That is so beautiful! I've always loved styles like that. I think they're so timeless and elegant. It's my aspiration to be able to do styles like that, chignons and variations on buns when my hair grows longer.

Aw, thanks! It is one of my favorite things about longer hair, how versatile it is.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
This morning i threw my hair up on sponge and pillow rollers using diluted Lottabody to spray it damp instead of water. Crossing fingers...will post photos of the result.
If it is markedly different than my result w/ only water, I'll also post a link to a photo or vid of the results when I just use water so you can compare. :)

Toni

New in Town
LolitaHaze said:
Hi Ladies...

I just took a brief looksie through this thread to catch up and I am floored with the hair that you all are achieving! Special shout out to ChanteuseCarey... that do with all the formed curls is breathtaking!

Here are some ways I have been wearing my hair for recent shoots. All styles are styled by moi. :-D

3854335726_d5ee51efe5_o.jpg

3767360163_d1a054af1e_o.jpg

3859912721_63f7116907_o.jpg

Wow! I love every single photo and envy your hair and ability to do that with it! (I also thought the first one was a vintage photo!) Could you describe how you have it cut please? Thanks, Toni

Emer

One of the Regulars
Sponge curler success!

I finally got my sponge curlers to give me a nice hair-do! And I think it's the most authentic looking 'do I've ever had--not to mention, I actually did it in a vintage way! ;)

I rolled these last night on freshly washed hair, with a leave-in cream conditioner. I tied a silk scarf around my head for bedtime. This is this morning:

curlers1.jpg

Unrolled--Shirley Temple curls! Those things bounced! lol

curlers2.jpg

If my whole head had turned out like my right side, I could have worn it down. What you don't see is the huge curl explosion on my left side!

curlers3.jpg

Sides pinned back with boddy pins.

curlers4.jpg

Overall, I'm EXTREMELY pleased. This is my first ever success with sponge curlers. And the rolling didn't take more than 10 minutes or so! I'll definitely do this again!

Emer

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies! This is what I call my "faux-victory rolls." They give only a slight impression of the real deal, but because of all the front layers my hair has, bit and pieces tend to stick out if I try the real thing. Trying to grow out some of those layers for that very reason!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It's my birthday today :D How nice that my set should turn out like this:

Wartime003edit.jpg

I'm particularly proud of the bangs. It was all done with sponge rollers.

Do you like it? :p

Antje

One Too Many
Emer said:
I finally got my sponge curlers to give me a nice hair-do! And I think it's the most authentic looking 'do I've ever had--not to mention, I actually did it in a vintage way! ;)

I rolled these last night on freshly washed hair, with a leave-in cream conditioner. I tied a silk scarf around my head for bedtime. This is this morning:

curlers1.jpg

Unrolled--Shirley Temple curls! Those things bounced! lol

curlers2.jpg

If my whole head had turned out like my right side, I could have worn it down. What you don't see is the huge curl explosion on my left side!

curlers3.jpg

Sides pinned back with boddy pins.

curlers4.jpg

Overall, I'm EXTREMELY pleased. This is my first ever success with sponge curlers. And the rolling didn't take more than 10 minutes or so! I'll definitely do this again!

Great set, I can't work with spongerollers, my hair doesnt like them I guess
I'll stay with my flexible perming rods, they are the best,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR