Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Blondie

Practically Family
Wartime003edit.jpg

TOO CUTE ! You are adorable, i love the colour of your hair too, what is it ??

Christy

One of the Regulars
C-Dot, my birthday is tomorrow happy late b-day to you!

I'm particularly fond of my hair today. It did exactly what I wanted. I set my hair in sponge curlers on Tuesday and the curl held all the way to today. I would just put it in a wave net and handkerchief before bed, and then just brush it out in the morning and then hairspray and shine spray. Today it looked the best though, good thing too because we went out to dinner for my birthday tonight.

B-DayDinnerCloseup.jpg

Christy

One of the Regulars
SayCici said:
Beautiful Christy! I'm crazy over your dress, what a wonderful shade of green!

Thank you! I posted a full length picture in the recent purchases thread. I got it this past Thursday. I love the color too!

Emer

One of the Regulars
Another sponge curler 'do. This time I was able to leave it down as I got much softer curls than before. I just pinned back the left side to keep some of it out of my face and tucked the right side behind my ear.

bluetie1.jpg

flashalee

New in Town
normal_IMG_2345.jpg

3871817412_a53d54e805.jpg

3871033679_ab499177e6.jpg

I was growng out my bangs in the last two pics, and they were taken after two nights of serious lindyhopping. It is great to see so many beautiful hairstyles here, I hope I can get fast/better with practice :)

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Would you say this is vintage-y?

Hi all,

Until I master sets, I have been working with my natural curl. Frankly, it's much easier to do for obvious reasons.

I thought the curl looked good before bed last night, hence the no make-up face-cover (again).

My question is, does the curl look like a set? Does it look vintage or at least vintage enough?

naturalcurlm.jpg

I had to lighten the photo a lot so you could see my hair against the darker background.

Thanks, ladies.

Hestia

Familiar Face
SweetieStarr said:
My question is, does the curl look like a set? Does it look vintage or at least vintage enough?

You know, to me, it looks pretty much like a set only with a little less volume at the top- but I think if you did the top in rolls or even just combs or something, you could just use your natural curl and be good to go.

I know my grandmother never curled her hair, she had naturally curly hair and just used what she had.

I always wonder about this myself, I have natural curl but it doesn't look like a set at all most of the time, see:

3838590560_99a42c3f0b_m.jpg

But I usually just work with it anyway, or dodge the issue and put it up.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Hestia said:
You know, to me, it looks pretty much like a set only with a little less volume at the top- but I think if you did the top in rolls or even just combs or something, you could just use your natural curl and be good to go.

I know my grandmother never curled her hair, she had naturally curly hair and just used what she had.

I always wonder about this myself, I have natural curl but it doesn't look like a set at all most of the time, see:

3838590560_99a42c3f0b_m.jpg

But I usually just work with it anyway, or dodge the issue and put it up.

Thanks for your response. :) If you brush your curls, will they go together more like a brushed-out set, or does it just make it frizz?

Hestia

Familiar Face
SweetieStarr said:
Thanks for your response. :) If you brush your curls, will they go together more like a brushed-out set, or does it just make it frizz?

Frizztown if I try it on the same day I wash it, but if I spray it with a little water on a later day I can comb them out into some respectable waves. If I do that and add a few pincurls around my face I think it looks decent. I'll try to take a picture the next time I do it.

I envy your nice smooth sausage curls, mine are always running away in different directions!:)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Hestia - I think we have the same type of hair. When I'm in a rush and my hair is freshly washed, I just pull back the sides and then let it air dry. Sometimes I twist the sides and push them up to add a bit of volume and pin with bobby pins. Sometimes I just use combs.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Blondie: Thank you! :D My hair colour is Herbatint's Light Copper Blonde: http://www.gentlebodycare.co.uk/images/product_images/thumbnail_8R.jpg

Christy: Happy Birthday to you too! You are absolutely breaktaking in emerald green, I must say. ;)

SweetieStarr: I think you definitely need a top roll to make it more vintage. Use a medium sized roller, or curling iron, make a rectangular part and roll your bangs backwards, then pin underneath. It's easy to do, and just as easy to correct if you aren't happy with it!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Someone was asking recently about 1940's hairstyles for long hair. This isnt incredibly authentic but the rolls are very feminine and beautiful. This girl has hair to the middle of her back and it's absolutely beautiful and shiny. This was a first attempt so it's not perfect, by any means. But it gives you an idea of what we're attempting. This was based on a youtube tutorial I saw by a girl that goes by nicandjethro...

front view:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98898637@N00/3656975645/in/set-72157620475861682/

back, side view:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98898637@N00/3657770748/in/set-72157620475861682/

Speaking of long haired pin up styles, I am SO ANXIOUS to try these on somebody!!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=13351203&albumID=497255&imageID=55398670
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...D=497255&imageID=55398670#a=497255&i=63719661

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
LisaFreemontSt said:
This girl has hair to the middle of her back and it's absolutely beautiful and shiny. This was a first attempt so it's not perfect, by any means. But it gives you an idea of what we're attempting.

That is really beautiful - It has a Polynesian flavour to it.

I love this blog, too: Freelancer's Fashion Blog. The second post down has the same idea, and I think there's a few more in there.

Anyone with short hair who want's to fake it? (Me! Me!) I'll post pictures when I'm not looking/feeling like a troll.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
That is really beautiful - It has a Polynesian flavour to it.

I love this blog, too: Freelancer's Fashion Blog. The second post down has the same idea, and I think there's a few more in there.

Anyone with short hair who want's to fake it? (Me! Me!) I'll post pictures when I'm not looking/feeling like a troll.

I love faking long hairstyles. I absolutely love the 1st look and think it would be relatively easy to do. But I want to try it on somebody w/ TONS of hair, like her. haha.

That blog is fantastic! Thanks for introducing me to it. Absolutely inspiring hairstyles!

V

Violeta

This might not be where to put this, but I was on Amazon and just saw that there is a 2nd edition to Lauren Rennells Vintage hairstyling books. I'm interested in buying it. Do any of you own it? I have the first one, and from what I saw it looks like some of the styles from the 1st book are in the
2nd one. I was just wondering if the all the styles from the 1st book are in the new book along with the new styles? Any info would be great!

Inky

One Too Many
Violeta said:
This might not be where to put this, but I was on Amazon and just saw that there is a 2nd edition to Lauren Rennells Vintage hairstyling books. I'm interested in buying it. Do any of you own it? I have the first one, and from what I saw it looks like some of the styles from the 1st book are in the
2nd one. I was just wondering if the all the styles from the 1st book are in the new book along with the new styles? Any info would be great!

I have both. Not all the styles from the 1st edition are in the second, but some are. There are quite a few new styles, and more 60's Mad Men influenced styles, as well as a more thorough manicure section (but nothing you wouldn't learn here on that subject).

I plan to review the new book and I'll be able to tell you what styles are missing/added to the 2nd edition, hopefully this week/weekend.

Honestly, I was going to sell or give my 1st edition away, but I am planning on keeping it since they aren't all reproduced in edition two.

The books are great and Lauren has done a terrific job - if I can learn (and I knew NOTHING about hair a year and a half ago) then anyone can!

V

Violeta

Thank you Inky! Just the information I needed. I look forward to your review! Will it be on this thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou