Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Horrockses dresses!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Drappa said:
Ha ha, now I know who brought the price up! :p
If it makes you feel better, there were some things that needed to be fixed on the dress and it is only knee-length on me (I'm 5'6") and not much hem to be let out. Having said that I still love it.

I just looked at the repros, and for £95 you could definitely get a a real Horrockses, and one that most likely nobody else would have nowadays. They often have cotton fabric by Horrockses on Ebay, I have sometimes thought that those could surely be made into a dress.

And I am not British so don't flame me, but I can't actually imagine the Queen to ever have looked that stylish or wear that much print. Now I wish I'd paid more attention to my grandma's Royalty magazines she was obsessed with as a child...

OK, I DO feel better about winning now as I am 5'9"and I look I look like I'm wearing a child's dress if my knees aren't covered and then some.

I agree that for £95 you could totally get a real one! And I know which I would rather have.

It is hard to imagine the Queen ever having been stylish but she wasn't too bad in her youth and Princess Margaret was a total fox! Off to find pics as proof...

MissHannah

One Too Many
Couldn't find any of the Queen in a Horrockses but did find some of her looking pretty stylish (but admittedly they are mostly of Princess Margo!)

79043971.jpg

79043951.jpg

78965591.jpg

78961116.jpg

50416377.jpg

50416368.jpg

3296206.jpg

90734076.jpg

3437250.jpg

3359224.jpg

Drappa

One Too Many
^^Okay, point taken! When I think of the Queen I think of dowdy plaid and wellies. But I do think Queen Mum was really cute in her outfits! lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
UsuallyComatose said:
Oh my goodness. All of those dresses are so beautiful!! I want one now lol

You and everyone else here. And now, everyone will go search at once and, like Swirls, the price will go up!

MissHannah

One Too Many
The funny thing is, there are pics of her in her twenties when she is wearing exactly what she wears now - headscarf, sturdy tweed skirt, hunting jacket etc. I am by no means a royalist however - I just think that Princess Margaret was stylin' :D

MissHannah

One Too Many
KittyT said:
You and everyone else here. And now, everyone will go search at once and, like Swirls, the price will go up!

Crap. I may have shot myself in the foot a little... lol

Drappa

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Maybe, but apparently there are many of them around as so many women had one, so we're just sharing the love :)

MissHannah

One Too Many
I don't think a lot of sellers on Ebay and Etsy even list them as Horrockses because they don't realise it's a collectable label. You get a few though.

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
My Horrockses Experience

I'm so glad I found this thread, I have been dying to tell someone who actually cares this story:

I work for the Imperial War Museum and have been doing volunteering once a fortnight in their Exhibitions department. Well, last Thursday morning when I went into the office I was greeted by the exciting news that we were getting a car to take a dress on loan to the Fashion and Textile Museum for their Horrockses' Exhibition! Eeeek! So we arrived with our beautiful purple Horrockses house coat all boxed up, and met by a lovely lady who took us up in a lift to..........the vintage dream. As the door opened I literally gasped out loud, then squealed...then gasped again. The room had no less then THIRTY mannequins all turned out in a different, beautiful, and unbelievable Horrockses creations! I won't begin to describe all that I saw in that room, but GO TO THE EXHIBITION. Damn it, I wasn't allowed to take photos. Anyway, that's my story. I've just about recovered from my experience.

detail

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I think interest really picked up with the Floral Frocks book and exhibition in 2007, and now with the book devoted just to Horrockses.

Online buzz does create desire too, but in this case, prices have been rising for some time. And I know of people who were seeking them out 6 or 7 years ago.

MissHannah

One Too Many
YesterdayGirl said:
I'm so glad I found this thread, I have been dying to tell someone who actually cares this story:

I work for the Imperial War Museum and have been doing volunteering once a fortnight in their Exhibitions department. Well, last Thursday morning when I went into the office I was greeted by the exciting news that we were getting a car to take a dress on loan to the Fashion and Textile Museum for their Horrockses' Exhibition! Eeeek! So we arrived with our beautiful purple Horrockses house coat all boxed up, and met by a lovely lady who took us up in a lift to..........the vintage dream. As the door opened I literally gasped out loud, then squealed...then gasped again. The room had no less then THIRTY mannequins all turned out in a different, beautiful, and unbelievable Horrockses creations! I won't begin to describe all that I saw in that room, but GO TO THE EXHIBITION. Damn it, I wasn't allowed to take photos. Anyway, that's my story. I've just about recovered from my experience.

detail

I've been so excited about this exhibition ever since I heard about it and you've just hyped me up even more lol I'm away this weekend so I'll have to wait until the weekend after dammit!

MissHannah

One Too Many
fuzzylizzie said:
I think interest really picked up with the Floral Frocks book and exhibition in 2007, and now with the book devoted just to Horrockses.

I adored the Floral Frocks exhibition and book. Walking into that long room full of dresses nearly made me faint!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I got the Horrockses book for my birthday a few weeks ago and immediately read it cover to cover. I am really hoping to go to the exhibition. I am not hoping for a dress though - I will never be able to afford one!

Drappa

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I got the Horrockses book for my birthday a few weeks ago and immediately read it cover to cover. I am really hoping to go to the exhibition. I am not hoping for a dress though - I will never be able to afford one!
I got one of mine for just over £30, and it seems to me they often start a lot cheaper than Swirls :)

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Maybe a daytrip to London is in order, as I too really want to go and see the exhibition. Not sure if I’ll be able to but we will see…
I would love to find a dress or outfit and swan around and be surrounded by all the other ones..... ahhh one can dream:rolleyes:
Not sure if my Horrockses tennis dress is quite the right outfit for London!:eek:
Drapper you are a lucky girl those dresses are wonderful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy