Show Us Your...Inkwells

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Widebrim, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Hahaha, reading you two guys is just hilarious. Nah, I'm pretty sure it's pewter. I don't think it's steel. It doesn't have the look to it.

2. At any rate, it looks swell. Do you actually use it much?...

3. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Yes I do. I keep my supply of ink in there for my fountain pens and dip-pens.

4. SweetieStarr

SweetieStarr A-List Customer

You can see my restoration of my vintage bakelite Esterbrook inkwell here. I have since gotten pens for it as well. I don't use it with ink very often because it's a pain to clean it with the ink reservoir. :)

5. I recall when you were given that inkwell (when we met at the Cicada Club, I think in 2009), and I was hoping to find some dip pens for you. Do you still need them? One would likely have a red barrel, and the other clear. The metal bands are not easy to find, but they would complete the unit. And good clean-up job!

6. SweetieStarr

SweetieStarr A-List Customer

Yes, I did get pens -- thank you! I have a black and a clear tip in there. I put the red tip in my other red Esterbrook inkwell so they would match.

I'd love some fancy glass inkwells like Shangas has, but I don't use dip pens all that often...

7. Great desk set.

8. Although it shows Streamline Moderne influence, this never-used Morriset Safe-T-Set is post-WWII. It appears to be plastic rather than bakelite, and has a beautiful copper finish to it. The Bert M. Morris company operated out of N.E. Los Angeles from the late '30s until at least the mid '50s, and specialized in inexpensive inkwells and occasionally desk sets (the latter of which are hard to find). Its workhorse inkwell was the popular Model B (see a previous post of mine to see a black example).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  9. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I did not buy an inkwell. But I did buy something really cool to put it into!

I bought this wooden box at the local charity-shop for $8.00. It looked the right size, and I bought it, sides-unmeasured, for the specific purpose of housing my inkwell and pens and other such nicknacks...

[​IMG]

As you can see, the results are excellent. My inkwell fits into it as if the box were made for it! Perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty neat, huh?

10. ^^Yeah, that is quite a neat box, and fit!

11. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I'm very happy with it.

12. jkingrph

jkingrph Practically Family

I have a Rotring "inkwell" It came as part of a pen pencil set. It is simply a piece of aluminum bar stock 6 sided about 1 1/2" per side with Rotring engraved into three sides. It's about 2" tall and one end has been bored out to hold a bottle of Rotring ink.

13. ^^Yes, they were fairly numerous at one time. How about posting a photo of it?

14. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

Remembrance of the Great war-inkwell made from buttstock and bolt of M95 Mannlicher rifle. Unfortunately not mine
    10647200_948551491823318_5669765171166377826_n.jpg

vitanola likes this.
  15. Dang, that is unique.

16. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

17. Kirk H.

Kirk H. One Too Many

Giftmacher, that is very beautiful and unique and quite a conversation piece for your desk.

Kirk

vitanola likes this.
  18. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

I'd buy it, but there are more important things right now.

19. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

More of local interest, however I recently purchased this Australian souvenir inkwell. Just needs an insert.

Oz ink stand top.JPG Oz ink stand bottom.JPG

vitanola likes this.
  20. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

Found another

Mulga inkwell.JPG Mulga inkwell 2.JPG