Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your lighters

It is indeed a real one, and a nice one at that, and at a great price. I restore and collect Dunhill lighters, and actually just finished restoring one very similar to this. I have carried a silver one almost every day for the past 10 years, it's the most consistent and classy pipe lighter, and holds a refill of gas for a LONG time. By the way, always use Dunhill flints and gas - other stuff gunks up the interior.

If you ever need any work done on it let me know. Either I can do it or I'll hook you up with someone in the UK that's good.

-Max

Mine is a silver regular fluid Dunhill lighter. Can they be converted to butane?

I found this in a dumpster, while helping one of my uncles move.

artdecolighter002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
That is a spectacular one!

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Mine is a silver regular fluid Dunhill lighter. Can they be converted to butane?

James, the Dunhill petrol lighters (Rollalite was one of their top sellers) are probably not able to be converted. Honestly, I wouldn't try, the internals are completely different. It would cost less just to buy a butane "Rollagas" model anyway. Also, those Petrol lighters are extremely nice and usable as well.

-Max

James, the Dunhill petrol lighters (Rollalite was one of their top sellers) are probably not able to be converted. Honestly, I wouldn't try, the internals are completely different. It would cost less just to buy a butane "Rollagas" model anyway. Also, those Petrol lighters are extremely nice and usable as well.

-Max

My problem is that my lighter doesn't work now but I really wouldn't use it to light my cigars anyway. I can taste the fluid whereas I cannot with the butane lighters I have. What do you think it would cost to have a petrol lighter put back in working order. You can PM me if you wish---although I am sure some here might be interested in what it would cost to bring back one of these old greats.

Caleb Bogart

New in Town
It says made in occupied japan on the bottom. That dates it to around the early 50s. The only thing I had to do to it was stuff a new wick down it, knock out the old flint and fill er' up.

Caleb Bogart

New in Town
The only problem I have with it, is that the flint keeps coming out from beneath the wheel...So, I have to shake it out, and stuff it back in from the bottom. BUT all in all it is a good find

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Jamespowers,

Post some photos of your Dunhill, perhaps I can diagnose it over the message board. Those petrol lighters are pretty straightforward, it's the gas lighters that have a million seals and parts.

-Max

Jamespowers,

Post some photos of your Dunhill, perhaps I can diagnose it over the message board. Those petrol lighters are pretty straightforward, it's the gas lighters that have a million seals and parts.

-Max

My main problem that I cannot fix myself is that the screw head on the flint holder popped off. How do you get that shaft out and can you get replacements as I am not going to be able to remove the rest of the screw even if I get the shaft out.
The real pain is replacing the wick. I know I have to remove all that packing in order to replace the wick. I have done it on a few Ronson table models....:doh:

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
My main problem that I cannot fix myself is that the screw head on the flint holder popped off. How do you get that shaft out and can you get replacements as I am not going to be able to remove the rest of the screw even if I get the shaft out.
The real pain is replacing the wick. I know I have to remove all that packing in order to replace the wick. I have done it on a few Ronson table models....:doh:

James, you'd have to post some photos. I couldn't tell you without seeing the problem.

-Max

jy3ydy9u.jpg
y8ybe5am.jpg

Marked C.M.C. N.Y. silver plated Japan on bottom of ashtray.
At one time I had this one working but since I don't smoke any more it has fallen victim to disuse again.

Is there a thread for vintage ashtrays? I still have a bunch. Don't ever use them but still like to look at them.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Here are some pics of a 1937 Dunhill I was given roughly five or six years ago by my friends mom. She believed that I lived in the age of Al Capone in another life (one of the highest compliments I have ever received), and felt I should have it. I don't carry it anymore because it started leaking regularly in my pocket, and I would rather not ruin a good pair of pants via spontaneous combustion. It used to go everywhere with me though, and I still adore it.

20140527_021301.jpg
20140527_022021.jpg
20140527_022113.jpg
20140527_022056.jpg

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Here are some pics of a 1937 Dunhill I was given roughly five or six years ago by my friends mom. She believed that I lived in the age of Al Capone in another life (one of the highest compliments I have ever received), and felt I should have it. I don't carry it anymore because it started leaking regularly in my pocket, and I would rather not ruin a good pair of pants via spontaneous combustion. It used to go everywhere with me though, and I still adore it.

View attachment 14271
View attachment 14270
View attachment 14268
View attachment 14269

Very nice looking Rollagas. These work like Zippos though, with cotton to soak up and store the lighter fluid, so I'm not sure how it's leaking. Is it missing any of the internal cotton?

-Max

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
That's actually a Rollalite rather than a Rollagas. If that bottom fill plug washer is missing it might leak; it would certainly evaporate more rapidly than normal. Overfilling can make them ooze fluid as well.

Landman

One Too Many
I have quite a few Zippos I have picked up over the years. I've never really researched any of them though. Can anybody suggest a good reference book for Zippos? Also, is there a thread on the Lounge dedicated to Zippos? If so, I could not find it by a search. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner