Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your most precious vintage item .

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for moving this here, Scot and LD!

My most precious vintage item (at the moment ;) ) is an unworn A-2 jacket patch from one of the Squadrons that flew with the 56th Fighter Group in World War II. The design, by Disney, is a real winner...

61.jpg

Shimmy Sally

Wow, beautiful items.
I have a lot of inherited keepsakes (Grandparents, Great Aunts) that mean a lot to me. The top items would be my real maternal Grandmothers purse (died when my mother was five) and Moms 1940s wedding gloves.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have SO MUCH STUFF from my family I couldn't say which is most precious. But here are couple of garments that belonged to my mother:

This is a dirndl she got in Germany:
Dirndl.jpg

This gown was made by a local seamstress for her when she went ot college, I believe. I'm pretty sure it's rayon. I assume it's a dressing gown, right?
Gown.jpg

This shows more detail of the top:
Gowntop.jpg

And inside:
Gowninside.jpg

This is my mom wearing the dirndl in Oberammergau in 1937. Unfortunately the apron is long since gone:
DirndlOberammergau1937.jpg

Any suggestions what to do with these things? I know they need round hangers. How should I clean them? The dirndl is cotton.
As I said I have mucho other neat stuff. Imagine a small corner of the Smithsonian after an earthquake. I need a curator for my apartment!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pink Dahlia said:
No, that's how Grandma sent it to me. I've never worn it because I haven't a clue how.

Here's a close up of the back. Forgive the quality.

21025758_l.jpg

It has a straight back but no clasp like you can feed something through it but not pin it to anything. I wouldn't have a clue as to what part of any outfit you could feed it through (besides a belt).

It looks like a tie for a scarf you would wear around your neck. You thread both ends of the scarf through and pull it up, like a neck tie.

I think.

LD

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
The love letter's my grandfather wrote to my grandmother before they were married. The engagement ring my grandfather gave to my grandmother and their wedding pictures.
familymemories2.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MaryDeluxe said:
The love letter's my grandfather wrote to my grandmother before they were married. The engagement ring my grandfather gave to my grandmother and their wedding pictures.
familymemories2.jpg

Mary, those truly are so very special! You are so lucky to have such a sentimental and priceless piece of family history. I'm green with envy.

I recently asked my Mom if we had my Granny Rae's wedding dress. She was married in the 1942, and her wedding gown was absolutely amazing. I have to have my Dad scan their wedding picture, my Granny was quite the blond bombshell and Grampa was so handsome in top hat and tails. I always thought the wedding picture looked like something out of a hollywood movie. Well, turns out she doesn't have the dress, for it was rented! And the reason why I've only ever seen one picture from their wedding was that was the only picture that was taken. My Grampa only had 63 cents to his name when he married my Granny. He was on a 3 day leave from the army. They were married on Valentine's day and lived together for 63 years. This past Valentine's day they would have been married 65 years!!!

Lady Day, I think you are absolutely right about that brooch! It is meant for a scarf! Well done:eusa_doh:

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Those love letters are so sweet!

Something slightly similar that I hope comes into my possession someday is an old photobooth picture in a little tin frame of my grandparents in the 40's. They look so cute, and my grandma looks quite saucy! My mom always makes fun of me because I wear my lipstick the same way my grandmother used to, she says we're always trying to show off our lips because we think we're hot stuff!

Anyway, I just love my grandparents on my mom's side more than anything, so I'd love to own that one day.

Also, I remember being quite young, probably 7 since I still lived in New York then, and my grandma was getting rid of the fridge, or just cleaning out the freezer, the memories are kinda fuzzy. Anyway, she pulled out this old ziploc bag with a little frozen bit of something and told me it was a slice from her wedding cake! I doubt it's been in the same bag all that time (did they have ziploc bags back then anyway?), but that's not something I could have made up. I bet she tossed it out, no one keeps anything in my family!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
My Grampa only had 63 cents to his name when he married my Granny. He was on a 3 day leave from the army. They were married on Valentine's day and lived together for 63 years. This past Valentine's day they would have been married 65 years!!!

How interesting! He had one cent for every year they ended up married!

Good think he didn't buy anything else on the way to be married. :)

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Thanks ladies. I just wish I would also have the letters that my grandmother wrote to my grandfather. :( Perhaps someone else in the family has those? The letters are a joy to read...and some are quite spicey! Apparently my grandparents had some wild times!:p

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
My most precious vintage items would have to be my 100RM (April 1940) and my two vintage photos I bought at the last WWII event. The first is of the crew on the aft end of the U-47 returning from Scapa Flow, and the other taken at Wilhelmshaven.

U47.jpg

100RM.jpg

It had crossed my mind to collect high amount RMs...just as I've been collecting some Cape Horner stamps.:rolleyes:

Prien

Liz

Right now, it would be the Bobby Swanson 45 I bought on Ebay last week and received a few days ago:

3b00_1.jpg

I collect teen tragedy records (yes, I know, I'm weird) and this 45 was one of my holy grails. I have a LOT of records, but this one is now my favorite!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Growing up in an old farm house in Iowa I found this diary of a high school girl written in 1907-08. It's pretty fun to read. If I didn't know the date you can almost say it was written today...her teenage life was basically the same as today (minus technology).

diary.jpg
[/IMG]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
Growing up in an old farm house in Iowa I found this diary of a high school girl written in 1907-08. It's pretty fun to read. If I didn't know the date you can almost say it was written today...her teenage life was basically the same as today (minus technology).

That sounds like fun, and I can understand why it could almost have been written today, human beings don't change that much really!

:eek:fftopic: What have you done to your face Quigley Brown????????:eek: lol

mikepara

Practically Family
An actual letter written by...

T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia). Sorry but I cannot take photo's at the minute.

An Officers WW1 medals from The 2nd Tyneside Irish, 25th Northumberland Fusiliers. Lt. A. Maitland, No gallantry medals but he survived the Somme! thats some going.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I have my maternal grandmother's wedding ring. It's a simple gold band and just fits on my pinky.

My dad gave me these today. They are recipe books my paternal grandparents used in their restaurant. The little blue book is dated 1933!

21195700_l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn