Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Oldest Books

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
dscn0762.jpg

I have a set of these in the original box- with no lid. Some of my prized possesions!

My oldest book is from the later 1600s and is French by a woman poet, I believe. I found it in an antique store for about $10. I don't think they knew what it was!

My most prized books are my bound issues of Petersons and Godeys, and Ladys Magazine from 1800 to the early 1880s, first editions of Anne's House of Dreams and Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery, C.D. Gibson's The Weaker Sex, and Harrison Fisher's Bachelor Belles. I've got a few oddities, too- like Female Lives among the Mormons which was a fake exposee of Mormonism from the 1850's, I believe, and Letters to Young Ladies about etiquette and other social graces from the 1840s. I love old books. I'll try to take some pics soon.

This is definitely one of the most droolworthy threads on the Lounge!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
My most prized books are my bound issues of Petersons and Godeys, and Ladys Magazine from 1800 to the early 1880s...

You're so lucky Lauren! So many of them have been broken up for the prints, it's a pity. When those come up on ebay I have to physcially restrain myself from bidding ridiculous amounts. I've got the Dover reprints to keep me occupied until I win the lottery though.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
sure! i haven't really heard of the artist you were referring to, maybe you could post some scans?
orrr...i guess i could just GOOGLE him. duh.

I'm planning to take pictures of some of my postcards for another thread so I'll try to include some of my Russian ones. They're surprisingly affordable and the quality of the graphics can be spectacular.

zaika

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I'm planning to take pictures of some of my postcards for another thread so I'll try to include some of my Russian ones. They're surprisingly affordable and the quality of the graphics can be spectacular.

sweet! which thread?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
imoldfashioned said:
You're so lucky Lauren! So many of them have been broken up for the prints, it's a pity. When those come up on ebay I have to physcially restrain myself from bidding ridiculous amounts. I've got the Dover reprints to keep me occupied until I win the lottery though.

Thanks! I actually came across them rather reasonably- most of them I got at least four years ago and by searching for things listed wrong on ebay- other than a FABULOUS estate sale I went to where the woman was a real antique dealer with early American furniture and vintage textiles- and it was in a Victorian farm house! The stuff dreams are made of! But she had scores of bound issues of Peterson's, Godey's, and Lady's Book (before it was Godeys) for only $25 each. At the time I could only afford three copies, but they are well cherished and from 1822, mid 1830's, and early 1880's (natural form).

But those Dover books are WONDERFUL! And you can study them like mad and not worry about the old paper!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
After a lot of thinking (aproximately thirteen seconds), I decided I could highjack my own thread for a moment and show a bookmark. :D

Lee

Cool!

I've found all kinds of things being used as bookmarks in my old books like ribbon, torn newspaper, folded notes and also I've found many dried flowers. :)

(Is anyone else paranoid about some kind of latent vintage virus spore being in the pages? No? Oh. Well I'm weird like that!)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Lauren said:
I have a set of these in the original box- with no lid. Some of my prized possesions!

My oldest book is from the later 1600s and is French by a woman poet, I believe. I found it in an antique store for about $10. I don't think they knew what it was!

My most prized books are my bound issues of Petersons and Godeys, and Ladys Magazine from 1800 to the early 1880s, first editions of Anne's House of Dreams and Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery, C.D. Gibson's The Weaker Sex, and Harrison Fisher's Bachelor Belles. I've got a few oddities, too- like Female Lives among the Mormons which was a fake exposee of Mormonism from the 1850's, I believe, and Letters to Young Ladies about etiquette and other social graces from the 1840s. I love old books. I'll try to take some pics soon.

This is definitely one of the most droolworthy threads on the Lounge!

I have one copy of Godey's- it's complete. Besides admiring the fashion plates I love to read the fiction and poems.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A few of mine...

All these came from my Dad's collection over the years; none the worse for wear!

Book2.jpg

Original copy of Orwell's 'Animal Farm', first printing 1946

Norman Vincent Peale's 'Power of Positive Thinking', twelfth printing March 1954 (the year I was born!)

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A couple more...

Books3.jpg

Practical Algebra - first year course, 1910

Camera Studies of Wild Birds, 1911

Books4.jpg

Oddly enough, this one was released with the photograph on the left out of register!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I have a weakness for the pulps.

A shot of my bookshelf:
IMG_0141.jpg

A shot of some of the more interesting covers and authors:
IMG_0142.jpg

You can see 2 Earl Stanley Gardners, 1 Rex Stout and a Mickey Spillane. I have some more Spillane's but this one has the best cover by far.

The titles crack me up. They're so torrid in that over-the-top Douglas Sirk kind of way. Those pulp writers sure knew how to turn a phrase!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I tend to save a lot of women's books on sewing and knitting. the oldest in this collection is the green book. It is from the 1920s and has lovely little deco illustrations inside of it.
IMG_0146.jpg

Some of my knitting books:
IMG_0156.jpg

Do magazines count? Here are some fun ones:
IMG_0152.jpg

I wish I could show you some of the picstures in the Beauty Parade magazine. It's filled with cheesecake and baggy pants comedian photos, but all of the ladies are in their under nothings. The Beauty Parade has great ads in it too, Fredericks of Hollywood lingerie ads and these ads:

Battling Pin-Ups!
IMG_0154.jpg

Good ol' Charles Atlas!
IMG_0155.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
All these came from my Dad's collection over the years; none the worse for wear!

Book2.jpg

Original copy of Orwell's 'Animal Farm', first printing 1946

Norman Vincent Peale's 'Power of Positive Thinking', twelfth printing March 1954 (the year I was born!)

-dixon cannon

Wow! A first edition of Animal Farm--that's impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My oldest and rarest are my Loomis books:

sucessdrawing.jpg

successdrawingin.jpg

First Edition 1951 The dust jackes is in amazing condition! Picked this one up at a vintage book closing sale. I always ask if they have Loomis books in their 'glass case'. Most used book stores do.

heeadsandhands.jpg

headandhandsin.jpg

First edition 1956. This one I got with the others at a store as well. The guy wanted $300 each, but I talke him down to $300 for both plus a couple of other books. :rolleyes: I was with a friend and he was amazed I got them for that price. tee hee

creativeillustration.jpg

creatilveillustrationin.jpg

No dust jacket, seventh edition, 1966

figdraw.jpg

figdrawin.jpg

Figure Drawing For all its Worth, his most sought after book. This one, a friend got at an estate sale for $5. She sold it to me for a slightly inflated price. :eek: 9th edition, 1945.

LD

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
BeBopBaby said:
A shot of some of the more interesting covers and authors:
IMG_0142.jpg

The titles crack me up. They're so torrid in that over-the-top Douglas Sirk kind of way. Those pulp writers sure knew how to turn a phrase!

How many Richard S. Prather books do you have, BeBop? I'd love to have the one you have there, Way of the Wanton! I'm a Richard S. Prather fan, and the one you have there is one of the many in the funny and un-PC Shell Scott series that I haven't yet read.

The first book of his I read was the last one in the Shell Scott series, Shellshock, written in 1987. I found Prather's website and ordered the book from there. He offered to autograph it with a message of my choice. I just asked him a couple questions and told him my birthday was coming soon (July 22). I forget what I'd told him my mother had said. :eusa_doh:

dscn0932.jpg
dscn0933-21.jpg

Lee

I've heard that The Blackboard Jungle is pretty racy! ;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Lee, next time you post something so personal, you might wanna use PhotoShop or Windows Paint to obliterate your surname in the scan. Just a suggestion, and I know I'm paranoid, but you'd be surprised what you can learn about somebody using just their name and the Net...

Thank you for taking the fun out of not caring, because I haven't anything worth stealing, DB. lol

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk