Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The design is probably not much changed since the late Victorian era; I love the swoop it has. It certainly also served me well travelling to and from graduation ceremonies in one of my kilts in January.

At one point in my life I was rather keen on joining a Guards regiment, either the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards for Cavalry or the London Guards (originally the London Scottish) for Infantry, as the Blair/Brown administration killed off the other Scottish regiments. The coats were part of the appeal! (The chief reason I didn't pursue it in the end was a change of degree, which had required re-starting and then by the time I graduated I figured I was a bit too old to go for Sandhurst. A regret, to an extent.)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The only damage mine came with was the lining of one of the sleeves cut in half, no damage to the shell, though. That fortunately was easily sorted - I just had my dry cleaner reline the sleeve. Otherwise not sure whether it had been worn. I know unissued they come without the buttons attached (I did buy one in that state years ago, but grew out of it), but I'm guessing some of them must get issued, have buttons attached, and then not get worn much or at all... I'm very much a fan of DB, but there's something about this SB version, maybe it's the cut, but it almost feels more like a sleeved cloak... I like how, fully buttoned, it also has a bit of an Uncle Fester look to it. Doubtless that will be put into use some Halloween...
I'm glad you didn't get a slashed coat. I understand why they do it, but it's frustrating. Regarding the buttons, on my coat they're Guards buttons and are removable being are held on by pins on the inside which you simply unhook and the buttons pop off.

I had for a short while one of the Guards officer's greatcoats. It actually fit me despite being custom made. The lapels were absurdly wide (reached right to the shoulder seam) and the collar was a tall stand-and-fall collar that not only hooked closed on the upright, but also hooked closed on the half of the collar that folded down. Overkill and a 5 or 10 minute job in the mirror to hook and unhook. The buttons were long gone but were originally attached by poking through slits in the wool and sewn to small strips of rolled cloth glued (yes, glued!!) to the inside of the coat. Wild stuff. Most of the seams were just rough cut on the inside and some were stretching apart, having only one row of stitching. Made purely for parade, not practical for daily wear at all. (I see from recent photos that the officer's greatcoats are now off-the-rack coats, shorter and with slightly fewer buttons, and in a fuzzier thicker material, which to be honest is probably a smart shift in policy as they will lose some of their fit qualities but will be longer-lasting and can be re-issued to future officers.)

I have one of those Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment greatcoats, as I said. Super-heavy wool, all red (black collar), and with a short martingale strap that can be used to snug up the back when dismounted. It's the most amazing thing in the world but basically insane. I just remembered that I have one of the short green wool coats they wear when not riding or on parade; that's a very practical everyday coat, although barely brushing the tops of the knees.

Edward

Bartender
At one point in my life I was rather keen on joining a Guards regiment, either the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards for Cavalry or the London Guards (originally the London Scottish) for Infantry, as the Blair/Brown administration killed off the other Scottish regiments. The coats were part of the appeal! (The chief reason I didn't pursue it in the end was a change of degree, which had required re-starting and then by the time I graduated I figured I was a bit too old to go for Sandhurst. A regret, to an extent.)

I never had any aspirations to take the king's shilling, just liked some of the clothes. :D

I'm glad you didn't get a slashed coat. I understand why they do it, but it's frustrating. Regarding the buttons, on my coat they're Guards buttons and are removable being are held on by pins on the inside which you simply unhook and the buttons pop off.

Interesting, that seems to have changed - mine were all sewn on. May be a different era of manufacture. The brass buttons on mine were, I think, of the 'staybrite' variety, so presumably didn't need removed for ease of polishing. I suppose the wide availability of dry-cleaning makes a difference too now.

The collar hook on mine is velcro... I'd certainly have preferred a hook or a button on there, I'm not as a rule at all keen on velcro (I've actually passed on a few things because of it), but it's a subtle touch you wouldn't notice if not looking for it, and, to be entirely fair, extremely practical in use. Especially when wearing gloves (which I assume is by design). Definitely made a big difference when I was wearing it in Paris last November and that cold wind came up off the Seine.

I wasn't aware of the 'slashing' policy - I begin to wonder if mine was, as often happens, one that was issued and 'got lost' when somebody left. I've heard tell of ex-forces quietly not returning certain uniform bits and then selling them on to surplus places a few years later. No idea how widespread that is..

I had for a short while one of the Guards officer's greatcoats. It actually fit me despite being custom made. The lapels were absurdly wide (reached right to the shoulder seam) and the collar was a tall stand-and-fall collar that not only hooked closed on the upright, but also hooked closed on the half of the collar that folded down. Overkill and a 5 or 10 minute job in the mirror to hook and unhook. The buttons were long gone but were originally attached by poking through slits in the wool and sewn to small strips of rolled cloth glued (yes, glued!!) to the inside of the coat. Wild stuff. Most of the seams were just rough cut on the inside and some were stretching apart, having only one row of stitching. Made purely for parade, not practical for daily wear at all. (I see from recent photos that the officer's greatcoats are now off-the-rack coats, shorter and with slightly fewer buttons, and in a fuzzier thicker material, which to be honest is probably a smart shift in policy as they will lose some of their fit qualities but will be longer-lasting and can be re-issued to future officers.)

That is mad - sounds more like a stage costume than anything else. Doubtless a pp item - presumably they've changed tack to those being an issue now, as you note.

I did have (though my parents have quite likely quietly thrown it out since they moved, fingers crossed not, as I could sell it) an RAF officer greatcoat that by repute once belonged to a Captain Dobbs of the Dambusters raids. I'll never fit in it again - I think it was about a 38 chest - but a lovely piece of design. At some point I'd love to have one made in that pattern by the History Bunker guys up in Leeds, though collar wise I'm planning to go off piste and have it done in bottle green with civilian buttons...

I have one of those Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment greatcoats, as I said. Super-heavy wool, all red (black collar), and with a short martingale strap that can be used to snug up the back when dismounted. It's the most amazing thing in the world but basically insane. I just remembered that I have one of the short green wool coats they wear when not riding or on parade; that's a very practical everyday coat, although barely brushing the tops of the knees.

I've seen the red ones for sale. Kinda tempted, though I don't honestly know where I'd actually wear it. The wife would appreciate it (she's very strict that at least 90% of her wardrobe must be red, black or purple - there's no such thing as an ex-goth, after all) aesthetically, but she runs hot and I don't imagine would ever have particular need of a coat that heavy. Maybe one year if we do New York in February... The shorter green ones I've not seen, sounds practical for a more casual situation, though. For day to day next Winter I'm hoping to add to my wardrobe a repop of the Dunkirk-era British Army greatcoat in olive green (go great with tweeds and earthtones, and I've already picked out my civilian buttons). Crucially, the one worn up to and including Dunkirk was longer, mid-calf; the version issued after Dunkirk does have a nice, practical box pleat down the back for ease of movement, but it was also made markedly shorter (on the knee) after experience of the longer coat getting in the way on the Dunkirk beaches, especially jumping into the shallow water off the landing craft. Most greatcoats the Brits have are longer again now, since they ceased being part of the field uniforms sometime in the 50s.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I've seen the red ones for sale. Kinda tempted, though I don't honestly know where I'd actually wear it. The wife would appreciate it (she's very strict that at least 90% of her wardrobe must be red, black or purple - there's no such thing as an ex-goth, after all) aesthetically, but she runs hot and I don't imagine would ever have particular need of a coat that heavy. Maybe one year if we do New York in February... The shorter green ones I've not seen, sounds practical for a more casual situation, though.
The red (Life Guards) and blue (Blues & Royals) greatcoats are unwearable for anything other than riding a horse since they're unwieldly in terms of fit, and weigh a couple of tons. Amazing to own, if you can get one in good condition (some have been slashed, sadly), and nice to pull out a couple times a year to admire... and that's about it, haha

The short green coats are the ones below. Much more practical for daily wear as a civilian.

8036268739_a4fc7f6e4a_o.jpg

Edward

Bartender
The red (Life Guards) and blue (Blues & Royals) greatcoats are unwearable for anything other than riding a horse since they're unwieldly in terms of fit, and weigh a couple of tons. Amazing to own, if you can get one in good condition (some have been slashed, sadly), and nice to pull out a couple times a year to admire... and that's about it, haha

The short green coats are the ones below. Much more practical for daily wear as a civilian.

View attachment 607449

A littel shorter than the post-Dunkirk ww2 issue greatcoats, though those were of course for infantry, makes sense these would be shorter. Look like they'd be great for tramping through mud in tall boots too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner