Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Here's another one of my faves. Very 50's style on this that doesn't show well in the pics as much as when it's worn but it has wide boxy 50s shoulders and gets narrower as it goes down the waist. The lapel button holes are open and have a unique opening also are sewn with what appear to be a nice grosgrain or silk blue along with the buttonholes. Also a great button back belt. Greenfield's St. Louis the only label.

Google of the maker shows this building. Poss where it was made or sold?:

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
70's? Camel overcoat. Belonged to my cuz's grandpa. Nice wood buttons. I looked up what this maker is currently manufacturing and it looks like it should belong on a clown.

Western German suede overcoat with fur lining and collar. 70's? Scored at an estate sale for I think 30bucks. Color shows up a bit lighter than it actually is. Heavy!

Last edited:
Here's another one of my faves. Very 50's style on this that doesn't show well in the pics as much as when it's worn but it has wide boxy 50s shoulders and gets narrower as it goes down the waist. The lapel button holes are open and have a unique opening also are sewn with what appear to be a nice grosgrain or silk blue along with the buttonholes. Also a great button back belt. Greenfield's St. Louis the only label.

Wow, that is a stunner. Is it a darker blue in reality or is this almost royal blue on my monitor accurate?

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Honestly it depends on how the light hits it. In a building its a tad darker but still not dark enough to be navy or midnight blue, yet in bright lighting or in the sun its more of the royal blue.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I'm such a pushover. I picked this up yesterday for 25 cents.
DSCN0647 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Mostly as a study piece. It has, I think, the most stitches per inch sewing that I've seen on an overcoat. Wool, gabardine I guess.
DSCN0654 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Turns out it was made just down the road at the next city going east on I-80 by Marbury Coats. Could find very little info about them, though it appears they were making army uniforms during WWII.
DSCN0648 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I like the drape of the cloth. Do any of you experts have a guess as to when it may have been made? The fronts are canvassed to about the middle of the pocket opening, the shoulders are padded and the sleeve caps are pretty heavily padded, is that roped?, too. Three button fly front.
DSCN0650 crop 2 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Thanks,
Michael

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Vintage 1930-40's German Ulster coat with a lovely fabric and masterful bespoke workmanship.
Brown tartan wool lining with satin lining for sleeves and upper body.

It has 4 rows of working buttons and can be closed at the neck against cold wind.
It buttons both ways... on the photo it is buttoned on the wrong side mistakenly.

Great for autumn and winter. Not overly heavy like most German ulster coats.

See the German fashion magazine illustration from 1940 at the bottom for an example of exactly this style of coat.

Size US/UK 38 - 40 Regular to Longish.
See Classifieds if this is the size of one of you gentlemen... it is too small for me (sz. 42) to wear with a heavy suit beneath:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/1930s-german-ulster-coat-fancy-check-weave-sz-40.89982/

Mantus%201.jpg

Mantus%202.jpg

SAM_1059.jpg

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Vintage 1930-40's German Ulster coat with a lovely fabric and masterful bespoke workmanship. Brown tartan wool lining with satin liningfor sleeves and upper body.
It has 4 rows of working buttons and can be closed at the neck against cold wind.
It buttons both ways... on the photo it is buttoned on the wrong side mistakenly.

Great for autumn and winter. Not overly heavy like most German ulster coats.

See the German fashion magazine illustration from 1940 at the bottom for an example of exactly this style of coat.

Size US/UK 38 - 40 Regular to Longish.
See Classifieds if this is the size of one of you gentlemen... it is too small for me (sz. 42) to wear with a heavy suit beneath:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/1930s-german-ulster-coat-fancy-check-weave-sz-40.89982/

Mantus%201.jpg

Mantus%202.jpg

SAM_1059.jpg
Fantastic Coat. I love the way the pockets are worked. What a great find.

Michael

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Nice to see those ulsters and polo coats, guys.

Here's a herringbone tweed inverness cape (I couldn't find a dedicated thread). The man is the historian John Julius Norwich.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm such a pushover. I picked this up yesterday for 25 cents.
DSCN0647 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Mostly as a study piece. It has, I think, the most stitches per inch sewing that I've seen on an overcoat. Wool, gabardine I guess.
DSCN0654 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Turns out it was made just down the road at the next city going east on I-80 by Marbury Coats. Could find very little info about them, though it appears they were making army uniforms during WWII.
DSCN0648 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I like the drape of the cloth. Do any of you experts have a guess as to when it may have been made? The fronts are canvassed to about the middle of the pocket opening, the shoulders are padded and the sleeve caps are pretty heavily padded, is that roped?, too. Three button fly front.
DSCN0650 crop 2 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Thanks,
Michael
Seriously, 25 cents??? The 2nd hand stores around here wouldn't sell a mismatched pair of socks for 25 cents. Beautiful coat for 100x the price.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Seriously, 25 cents??? The 2nd hand stores around here wouldn't sell a mismatched pair of socks for 25 cents. Beautiful coat for 100x the price.
Yeah, I know. I'm beginning to think Michael is living in an alternate universe and he's somehow bleeding through into our much-much-higher-priced universe...

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Yes, 25 cents. The way the charity stores around here work is that they have different colored tags on all of the clothes. They put out a different color every week and after the item has been in the store for a month or so that color goes to half price for a week. Then they have a final day when that color goes for 25 cents or 44 cent or something like that. If it doesn't sell then it's turned into ragstock. And a whole new batch of clothes with that color is stocked in the store.

I would note that what I like to see is an item put out at a price that is vastly too high. That often means that it is too high at half the price and so survives for me to bone pick.

Michael

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Okay, okay I know, I swore off buying anymore overcoats this year. yada yada.
DSCN0589 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0590 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Then this showed up in the last chance aisle for about the price of a cup of coffee, the kind you make at home. A bit of moth shaving in spots, but real leather buttons.
DSCN0596 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0595 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0594 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Never heard of this brand, will have to see if there is any info out there. Dated in ink on the store label to 12-25-1984. Xmas present?

Have a good one,
Michael
What a great coat to break your word on, though. Beautiful!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I don't have pics of my NWT Goodwill top coat. It's a London Fog shin length with a nice removable liner, kind of a taupe color. Very nice. It came with a blem, and I didn't see it until I had the coat for a week... one of the button holes was never cut/sewn. Not a big deal as I never button that particular one anyway and no one will notice it unless I point it out. It was $19.99 out the door; no sales tax here.

Reactions: Hal

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
This is not vintage London Fog. A NWT blem with one button hole missing. I liked the color, it fit well and I hardly use the button closures anyway. A penny under $20 out the door. I rarely see vintage stuff where I hit the thrift stores. The one I recall recently was a beautiful bespoke sport coat that fit great except the sleeves were way too short. Heart breaker, that one.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
This is not vintage London Fog. A NWT blem with one button hole missing. I liked the color, it fit well and I hardly use the button closures anyway. A penny under $20 out the door. I rarely see vintage stuff where I hit the thrift stores. The one I recall recently was a beautiful bespoke sport coat that fit great except the sleeves were way too short. Heart breaker, that one.
Oh yes, my mistake about the new/vintage thing. Sounds like a great deal. Hopefully it gives you years of service.

We've all run across that jacket that was perfect except the sleeves were too short! For me it was a vintage custom made flannel blazer which was stunning and fit well, except the sleeves.

Benproof

A-List Customer
That's beautiful. Is the colour really this striking? The collars are distinctively 1950s - makes you wonder if they were worn standing. The styling is very military flavoured with the double breasted double cuffed styling. I'm not sure I could pull off wearing such a gaudy blue coat but it certainly is an eye puller. Just need some pointy deep burgundy shoes to match.

up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24